Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Watch out for those shoes:-

TeachTeach Your TeacherHomePosts: 10,034 mod
At the risk of attracting shoe salesmen:-

The True Effect of High Heels
by washingtonpost.
Explore more visuals like this one on the web's largest information design community - Visually.
Tagged:

Comments

• SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 Inactive
    edited June 2014
    One of many things women do to look "pretty"
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 38,710 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I dabbled with platforms for a few weeks, a few decades ago, but never wore heels more than an inch high, despite being a shorty. My excuse was that I couldn't run for the bus wearing heels. Now I wear flatties all the time, so I'm not sure I would even be able to manage to walk on anything with heels at all.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,925 mod
    I find that to change shoes is best. I often wear a pair of flat shoes and I waddle like a duck. I think this is also not the best.
    I tend to fall off my shoes if I wear high heels! $-)
    I think most shoes make us walk unnaturally.
    I wear sandals almost the whole year, except in winter if I'm in Europe or Nepal. Then I really suffer, as my feet have been so used to the freedom of wearing sandals.
    Why are you forced to use them in Nepal, @mheredge‌ ??
    In the winter, for a couple of months, it is a bit too cold to wear sandals. Usually I wear trainers, but on the odd occasion that I have to dress up smartly, then the shoes have to come out of their box. I really hate wearing shoes now that I'm not used to having to wear them.
    I don't like using shoes either. I only put on shoes when it's raining and I have to walk long distances.
    When it's really cold and I'm indoors, I move myself around or do just a little bit of exercise until I get warmer.
    Lots of warm socks are my solution to cold feet @SillyLittleBleeder‌. And if it's really cold, bedsocks work a treat.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,792 mod
    I bought two pairs of shoes, but no high heels. :)
    I have some sturdy walking shoes - a bit more than trainers, but not as substantial as walking boots. I might need to wear them when I travel to India, if only to save space in my baggage.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,034 mod
    I was amazed at one of my friends this weekend in Berlin. I had one pair of sandals, in case it was hot, and my walking shoes. She had a pair of shoes for every outfit. ;)) I'm so glad I didn't have to carry her case.
    Everything but the kitchen sink! Not like me, when I was travelling around India a couple of years ago, and only had the sandals I was standing up in. It was highly inconvenient when they got nicked. I now try to have a spare pair of some footwear when I'm travelling.
    Oh! I didn't know you had had your sandals stolen. Was it while you were sleeping?
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,925 mod
    I don`t think so Lynne, maybe she or her had asked Marianne before taking them away.:)
    Worse still @Lynne, the guy had the audacity to steal them from under my seat, while I was sitting chatting with him. His station was way before mine, so he put on my sandals and walked off in them. I only discovered what he'd done ten minutes after the train had started off again. Luckily for me, he had left his plastic flipflops (a size too big), which meant I didn't have to go barefoot when I reached Delhi.
    Wow! I wouldn't have the nerve. Shame they weren't high heels. ;)
    They would have been a size too small @Lynne, so maybe not so comfortable. But they were nice sandals and he probably wanted them to make a buck on the side or maybe give them to someone. He didn't look that hard up though, so I was surprised.
    No shoes, but my umbrella was stolen last week when I went line dancing.
    It was not an expensive one, but it had kind of sentimental value. :(
    edited June 2014
    Oh that was mean @april. Could it have been taken by mistake? Was it raining? I lent my brolly to a colleague a few days ago, as I had a plastic mac. She hasn't yet returned it, so I've had to borrow an umbrella as it rained for most of the day yesterday. It's raining again now.
    It was raining when I went there and I put my umbrella in the umbrella stand.
    When we finished dancing and I wanted to go home, I couldn't find my umbrella.
    Luckily it wasn't raining anymore. I'm not sure if that person took my brolly by accident. I doubt it.
    edited June 2014
    Maybe post up a notice asking for its return @april‌ .
    A note might be a good idea. Is there a caretaker or someone who looks after the place where you were dancing? Maybe someone handed it in to them? My umbrella was returned to me yesterday. It's just as well as I think it's going to be raining much more from now onwards.
    The only thing that stops me to take another action is the fact that the most of visitors there are old people.
    Should I start blaming those old people?
    Well, I think I'd better start getting use to a life without my lovely green umbrella. :'(
    All things are temporary, @april. Let's hope that whoever has taken your umbrella gets valuable use out of it. Maybe this is a good excuse to treat yourself to a nice new umbrella @april?
    I still have five or six umbrellas at home, so it's maybe the way to eliminate my stuff one by one. :)
    Are you collecting them? I don't think I have more than a couple at any one time. But I tend to go for the fold-up ones, @april, and these don't last as well as the bigger, non-foldable ones.
    I had to buy a new one a couple of times on holiday because it was raining and I didn't have anything to cover me. :)
    edited June 2014
    I'm desperately hoping that I don't lose mine, as it's going to be raining lots over the coming weeks @april.
    Post edited by Teach on
This discussion has been closed.