Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Learn English in March

Practising my English

ElfishElfish Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭
Last night my mum called someone to buy her bookshelves because she saw an ad on a famous second-hand purchase website. The lady was a Brit (living in France) and did not speak good French! So my mum handed the phone to me and I had to do the transaction in Shakespeare's language. I succeeded but I admit I stammered and had difficulties to express some of the things my mum wanted me to say to the lady. I feel ashamed that after studying English at college, my level of English is still not good enough. Or maybe I need practising more.

Comments

• HermineHermine Posts: 8,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you had not been prepared to speak in English, Elfish. I am sure it would happend to me too. Your English is more than good so don`t think too much about this.
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to call again to ask if the bookshelves could be dismantled. She was not sure of the tool that needs to be used to do so, and I answered laughingly I was not good at DIY (either). My dad will bring his own tools. I can't come to the appointment with my parents as they need all the room in the car to collect the furniture. My mum will have to practise her English.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,370 mod
    Anyone who can ask if shelves can be dismantled doesn't have too much to worry about in English conversation. I'm not sure I could ask that in German. :)
    You would be lost if you want to ask a staff at Ikea @Lynne.
    In Ikea, it goes without saying.
  • mrohanthmrohanth Posts: 4
    I feel shy to speak in English with my friends. I would always talk in our native language instead of English with my friends.But this grade is very important.It also includes marks for speaking in English.So I need help to improve my conversation and also there will be many mistakes in my conversation(grammar) .And I do not know when to use "would ","could",though", and "although". I am little bit confused with these words.So I need help.Not only with these words but also with my conversation.
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭
    Lynne said:

Anyone who can ask if shelves can be dismantled doesn't have too much to worry about in English conversation. I'm not sure I could ask that in German. :)

@Lynne, I had to check the word "dismantle" in a dictionary.

To be honest I also had to look up for it. My brain was working about finding a similar word that discribes the same action and I found: demontage. I am not sure if this world exist.
  • komikomi Posts: 421 Inactive
    To be honest the same thing we share @Lynne‌ . I proudly say that I use Italian language but I am not sure that I could be so successful translating what should be needed to do with shelves. I am not sure even how Italians say shelves. :wink:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Hello folks, I am new in this this ....so could you please tell me that how can i use this web site.
    Hi @Dean,

How do you usually practise your English?
    @Dean‌ Are you from Croatia?
    ( razumiješ li me?)
  • ThomasJudeThomasJude Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
    @elfish..stammered is the word I was looking for as when I speak sometimes I am stuck at some points where I cant remember correct words to be used in the conversations.
    Can someone help me with tips to get rid off from the attitude of stammering during conversation because of the failure to recollect exact words to express our mind.
    It doesn't sound as if you stammer @ThomasJude‌. If you stammer, you know what you want to say, but you can't, it's a speech disorder.

As long as you're not suffering from aphasia, the best way to get the words you need to the forefront of your brain, is to practise, practise, and then practise a bit more.
    @Lynne. I agree with you. I am finding difficult in like minded people. If you can refer some people who are interested to talk and practice (pracise) it would very kind of you.
    edited July 2014
    @Lynne. :D
    Hi @ThomasJude‌ . May I ask you what is your native language?
  • klauklau Posts: 6
    is albanian
    i have 3 month that im learning english
    and i need to practice more, because i write bad :(
    every body there
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I'm new here too. I find what @Lynne‌ is doing amazing. For anyone who wants to practise their English (speaking or writing) I'm avaliable.

Just to be clear, my English is not that good, but I could practise more with someone willing.

My skype id is marcosxaxa. Feel free to add me.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    Hi peoples, I'm from Brazil and I need practise my english because I use on the my work. Let's go to help us. :D
    The best way to chit chat is join a topic.
  • faisalengfaisaleng Posts: 5
    @Lynne‌ Thank you so much. You always guide us
    @lichaamstaal‌, I agree fully. It is like sport, the more you do, the more you will get better.
This discussion has been closed.