Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Handbags at dawn

TeachTeach Your TeacherHomePosts: 10,034 mod
This is one for @april‌:-

The Handbag

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,792 mod
    Would you like to know which ones I don't have, @Lynne‌ ? :)
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,925 mod
    @april, I became curious. Do you have a lot of those?
    I have ever had all of them, @hermine. Maybe not the exacte models, but similar.
    I still have ten of those sixteens; and some other models. :blush:
    I am poor when it comes talking about handbags. My dream is to own a bag from Vutton.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 38,710 ✭✭✭✭
    Are they genuine @april or did you buy them in Bangkok?
    Good question. I would not fancy having a fake.
    Some are genuine, but no Vuitton in my collection.
    Kipling, Hedgren, Samsonite, they are more my genres. :)
    On my shopping list for London was to look around for a Vuitton bag. I had something special in mind, but once there I forgot or better said my girl hadn`t the patient to give me enough time to look for a bag shop.
    I have a German bag, but I don't remember its name. I bought a fake North Face daypack last week. It's proving very useful as it has wheels too.
    I wonder why is the headline named `Handbags at dawn`?
    Pistols at dawn used to be announced when two opponents want to dual.

Hi, I'm Davina and I belong to the new handbag that April has bought. :)
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,034 mod
    edited July 2014
    Hello Davina. Nice to meet you.

@Hermine - Handbags at dawn - In British slang we say "handbags at dawn" to describe a fight, usually verbal, where the participants are unable or unwilling to physically hurt each other.
    I guess it also suggests ladies slogging it out with their handbags, not guys @Hermine.

Margaret Thatcher was famous for her handbags.
    @Lynne and @Marianne, I think it was important to me to get the explanation.
    I'd be useless. My handbag usually consists of a backpack.
    I wish I had a Luis Vuitton bag one of his famous ones.
  • pryfllwydpryfllwyd Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    In 1808 two gentlemen fought a duel at dawn in the skies over Paris - they were both in Baloons and used Blunderbusses (a type of gun) to try to shoot each other down.

http://www.garycorby.com/2012/04/most-unusual-duel-in-history.html
    Why did they fight @pryfllwyd‌ ?
    Cherchez la femme? :)
    It seems women are usually to blame @april. It must have been some blast to have made the balloon fall so fast.
    edited July 2014
    Although I am a girl too can I not understand why some women need so many shoes and handbags.
    I do not like to change my handbags because I fear I leave something important in the last used one.
    I have one for summer it is bright and made with fabric, than a brown leather one a rather expensive one and a black one for sad occacions.
    Yesterday I tossed away (Lynne I can see how you stare at the word away, I hope I used the right one) :) my cheap blue one. It was awful to see some threads were hanging around.
    I tossed out a small, very handy daypack a few days ago, as the zip was going and wasn't worth trying to repair. Luckily before leaving Cambodia I already found a replacement. It's a little bigger and even has wheels. So I guess it's not really a handbag.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,034 mod
  • Amalie1Amalie1 Posts: 40
    Hi @hermine, let me tell you why the girls/women prefer different bags for a different occasions and always change their bags. For example, if you work and student at same time would you like to wear same bag everyday? No obviously. Because, most girls don't like the idea of using same bag for study, work and outgoing. I don't mind even if it's cheap one, but it has to be different, that's matter of fact.

In addition, you mentioned in forgetting the stuff, I do agree with you, because it happens a lot to most women, especially me, when I change my bag I always forget my Id card. having said that, it doesn't prevent me to change my bag.
    Boris Becker`s, a former German tennis star, wife told recently on Radio that she owns 200 to 250 pair of shoes. @Amalie thank you for your post, although I would not believe you have got 100 bags to choose from.
    definitely no! I don't own for hundred [email protected], However, I don't wear same bag in every week. For instance, I try to organize and classify my bags; as a work, college, gym and outgoings bag. however, that doesn't mean that I go shopping for every week to buy new bags and shoes.
    @Amalie, I change my handbags two to three times a year. It seems I am not a bag Freak.
    Lynne said:

@xeb will be proud of you @mheredge‌. :wink:

I'm getting soft in my old age @Lynne (but I have a larger backpack that is on my bag too).

Thinking about [email protected], I do have a lot of bags, but they all seem to have their uses, especially when I'm moving around.

Though I don't have many shoes, I tend to collect hats.

I do use bagback as well as others. Especial, when I have very busy day, which I will not have time to change bag. There're some days when I leave home as earl as 5pm and come back home late 9pm. I have to start my shift 6pm and finish 2pm; 3:30 to 6:30 for the college. After that to make my way to the gym for swimming and yoga which normally starts 7pm and finish around 8:15. So, would I have a time to change bag? Clearly no! So that leaves me to use bag back, which honestly I adore.
This discussion has been closed.