Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
March
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Do gadgets and technology make people interact less? (Zapppsr's thread)

TeachTeach Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,851 mod
edited July 2014 in Science and nature
@zapppsr‌ - IMHO - I interact more, but differently. :)

photo zappsrtecpp_zps3ebd8d64.jpg
Copyright - @Zapppsr - reproduced with permission
Post edited by Teach on
Tagged:

Comments

• zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    @Lynne, this picture is essential to start the discussion, because in it there are no gadgets at all, and the point I'm trying to make is that people didn't interact before technology, on certain occasions.

Some people blame technology for lack of interaction, but I advise them to check other aspects of their life and see why people use technology as a means of escape!
    Post edited by Teach on
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,851 mod
    I have added it, but I had to upload it as a jpeg to Photobucket. The system didn't like Dropbox.
    Thanks @Lynne.

Now, as we can see on the picture, people will always find something to pass time. In the past, books, now, gadgets!!!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,687 mod
    I find travelling, people don't seem to talk to each other much, like they used to before the advent of smart phones and wifi in every cafe and guesthouse. Everyone is glued to their Facebook and can't be bothered to look up and say hi any more. I love it in places where for whatever reason, the internet doesn't work or there's no phone signal.
    The major change for me is that people used to stop and read a book / newspaper. Nowadays people are moving around with their phones in their hands, even driving!

How can anyone text and drive? Maybe it's a superpower.
    It's bad enough people talking with their mobile phones when driving (their attention is not on the road), but texting?! That's definitely criminal.
  • FedericaFederica Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I think it has increased interactions, just a different kind. Technology must be associate with warnings like : "it creates dependency" because people seems unable to stop checking and writing every time. Every hour... always! I got friends that "talk" (via what's app and other kind of app or social network) even when we are dining together. In conclusion... my degree of stress increases every time I get a lot of messages on my cell phone. It's like I don't have any spare time anymore xD
    Its all about curiosity. If your smartphone blips, you want to know what is happening. New mail? New message? Someone just liked my photo on Instagram?

We need to know. And once you check that, you see other stuff related and keep on reading... and one thing links to another and when you notice, its too late... you are entangled in a virtual world.
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 Inactive
    Not sure if i'd call it interaction.

Being able to do several tasks at the same time is certainly a superpower.
    I think it comes largely from insecurity @zapppsr‌. People want to feel wanted, so as soon as their phone pings, even if it's a fairly trivial post on Facebook, they feel compelled to check it and respond immediately.

Come on! Get a life!! There's a time and place for everything and I hate the idea of my life being controlled by the vibration or ping of a smartphone. For this reason, unless I have to be contactable for any particular reason, I'm very happy to spend time away from gadgets.
    I am the opposite, @mheredge‌. Friends and family always complain that my phone is never switched on. :blush:
    All things in moderation!! If you can balance things and give proper time to family, friends, and work, it will be OK.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,932 mod
    I wonder what will happen when all the technology and gadgets are a part of our body? Will that make us look at each other and talk more?
    There will be a global consciousness and everybody will be like one, thinking and sharing thoughts!
    We will just stream at each other @mheredge.
    Not to mention the robots. One day when robots walk among us, like humanoids, that day, maybe, they will be the ultimate "gadget".
    I'm like you @Lynne. People get annoyed that I don't always have a mobile phone about my person. I hate being at it's beck and call.

Here's a poem my friend wrote on the subject. It's very true!

http://www.artvilla.com/arrival-of-the-dreaded-body-snatchers-by-dandelion-del-la-rue/
    I knew this topic was going to be polemic from day one.

Some people say when they were a child, we played outdoors, have different activities, home made toys... we rode bikes, went to the lake etc... You know why? Because there wasn't technology. Because if there was, people would be like today...

The outdoor is still there. The lake too. There are plenty of bikes and home made toys around... but they are not appealing as a gadget. (This is not my sole opinion, this is corroborated by facts. Just see the increasing numbers of gadgets, smartphones and tablets being sold, for kids and adults alike).

People are not forced to use it. It is a choice. Does it has bad consequences and side effects. YES! We are sometimes more engaged in a gadget that a real person next to us? YES. Is this good, NO!!!

Ok. As I said before, everything in life must be balanced. Even balance itself.

I'm trying to do this. Spend time with family and friends, study, work and have fun the way I like.

But we cannot overlook the magic effect gadgets have on people, and this is something that will grow more and more.

Maybe one time, in a distant future, the absence of electronics will be a luxury that only a few will be able to experience...
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,932 mod
    It's a conundrum @zapppsr‌ !
    Of course, this all assumes that we will continue to have electricity!
    I'm still waiting for my house robot. I'd be quite happy to discuss philosophy with it whilst it did my ironing.
    I could happily go for one too @Lynne. This is when gadgets really make sense.
    For how long do you think we will have to wait to have a fully interactive robot in our house? And is this really going to happen? @lynne @mheredge‌
    In time, when it is cheap enough to mass produce @zapppsr‌, I'm sure everyone will want one.
    I worry that some of those sci-movies that show robots taking over might not be too far off the mark if we're not careful.
    edited August 2014
    @zapppsr‌ - I'm afraid it looks unlikely. http://www.wired.com/2013/10/weaponized-military-robots/

We are probably entering a "My robot is bigger than your robot" period.
  • pryfllwydpryfllwyd The AnthropocenePosts: 1,405
    @zapppsr - don't forget the zeroth law (he only added it later)

0. A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.
    "By inaction" - dangerous. We could all end up locked away in little cells.