Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

The perfect accomodation...

[Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
... for us would be a small house with many rooms (or many windows so that we could split rooms), a screened porch for dining room and a garden just big enough to enjoy some fresh vegetables. Oh, and no noise appart from birds chirping.
We are looking for this, while living in a rented flat in the meantime.
What about your perfect accomodation?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,015 mod
    Do you have the intention to build the house yourself, @linc68‌ ?
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 8,016 mod
    @linc, you must send us some photos when you have found the right accomodation.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good even for me @linc68‌.

You said: 'Oh, and no noise apart from birds chirping'

I totally agree. I've been living next to an extremely annoying neighbour.
    She lived in the apartment above mine; early in the morning she used to walk around making such a noise, that you'd have wondered wether it was a meeting of hungry woodpecker, or a contest of tap dancing
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    @filauzio, poor guy.
    ..or there are some elephants.
    @Hermine‌, elephants had better wearing noiseless slippers, unless dancing in the savanna
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    Do you think I'm a bit too sensitive @Hermine? Maybe you're joking me? :)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,680 ✭✭✭✭
    I can cope with anything except the noise of dogs. I slept last night for the first time in months, with no hounds from hell to wake me up.

Carpets are good for muffling sound @filauzio‌. But I guess you have wood or tiles on your floors, don't you?

I insulated the floor of ground floor of my house as I have a small basement flat underneath that was a bit noisy when people walked across the floor above.
    Hi @mheredge‌, you've got the point.

It seems like apartment's floors are often thicker than they should be, in order to avoid quarrels among neighbours.

However could one suddenly spring up because of the smallest spoon dropping inside the upper apartment?

I suppose, whatever the floor's material or thickness is, it's up to individual's polite manners.

Obviously, as long as they taught me, I think one should avoid use one's heels on the floor, causing such a noise as if one was beating on the leather of a drum.

With regard to noisy apartment's dog, there would be a lot to tell about
  • jayor93jayor93 Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Perfect accommodation for me is a warm house, a comfy bed and no alarm clock. I am easily pleased I guess.
    @jayor93‌

It really seems an easy accomodation, however I think you should at least provide a set of furniture, shouldn't you?

Maybe I'm wrong, you don't need any, for you wouldn't have any alarm clock to put over it.
    I'm just joking

Unfortunately alarm clock is an object we wouldn't able to get rid of in anyway, it's part of our life, unless living in the jungle... I mean the real jungle, not the jungle of our chaotic cities
  • jayor93jayor93 Posts: 31 ✭✭
    @filauzio‌

I guess you are right but I'm a bit of a minimalist at heart.

I could put the alarm clock on the floor. Lol

I fear you are right about the jungle part though.
    The most important thing in a house for me is the toilet and the bathroom.
    @jayor93‌

I like what you said ' a bit of a minimalist at heart ' though I think you shouldn't make it known to furniture's vendors, unless being found guilty of... minimalism.

However I want sort of charge myself with the matter: sometimes I'd like not to own a TV.

After all I have the English Forum, which is enough to me, I mean to fill the spare time with.

What about you?
    @april‌

I totally agree, the toilet is fundamental in one's house, especially if one live in a high floor's apartment.

Probably he wouldn't reach the nearest public toilet in time...

I apologize for silly joking, I think you're right, toilet and the bathroom have to be comfortable and someway livable.
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 Inactive
    @mheredge‌ what did you insulate it with?
    @april‌ what do you mean "the toilet and the bathroom"? do you mean you need two rooms, one with a toilet and one with a shower/bathrub? or do you mean you need a room with both a toilet and a shower/bathtub? what is it called in this case?
    edited September 2014
    In a house, I prefer a toilet and a bathroom separately, @SillyLittleBleeder‌.
    However, in hotels for example, it doesn't matter as long as they are clean and have enough space.
    Really interesting! Is that common where you live? @april‌
    Here bathrooms always have toilets
    Yes, @SillyLittleBleeder‌, in the most cases.
    It's easier in the morning, right? :)
    Less queues.
  • zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

Source: www.smarthousing.cn

Just kidding! I'm more like an apartment guy, small but modern with a good hot shower and sunny spaces.
    Which floor do you prefer, @zapppsr‌ ?
    Ground floor or tenth floor for example? Or maybe higher?
    I have to agree with @april. I have spent the past week having to trot down the end of a usually muddy path to an outside toilet (no bathroom) out in villages and I'm very happy being back in a hotel where nice clean bathrooms come attached!

But like you @jayor93‌, I tend to be fairly minimalist. A roof, floor and four walls obviously are a priority (and a bathroom at close proximity), but furniture? Well that's a nice to have but not too essential!
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,158 mod
    edited September 2014
    It sounds idyllic @linc68‌. I spend a lot of time watching programmes like Escape to the Continent, and A Place in the Sun, probably too much time. :)

For me, an old stone house, with at least 2 bedrooms, one en-suite. Ideally it should have a nice big fireplace (inglenook preferably), and a cozy kitchen/dining room.

It should have a garden large enough to grow some veggies, and a couple of fruit trees. I wouldn't want to be too remote though: I'd like to be on the edge of a village, with a cafe, bar and a couple of shops.
    I like your idea of a perfect house @Lynne. I would maybe add to it a shed at the bottom of the garden where I could keep a few goats and maybe some hens, and a place where I could make goats' cheese. It would preferably be in the south of France where the climate is my ideal, with perhaps a bit of land attached to grow enough vines to make a little wine for home consumption.
    It would be more like a farm then, wouldn't it?
    Yes and no @SillyLittleBleeder‌. I'm not sure if I could be a real farmer. But I'd like to grow a few things and maybe keep a few animals. Real farming would be much too much like hard work.
    But isn't keeping animals hard work? I mean, a greatdeal of responsibily?
  • zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    @april As long as it is an apartment, I'm OK. But concerning the heights, I think the higher the better! Unless there is a fire...
    The highest apartment I've ever lived was the second floor :)
    However my work place was at the ninth floor for thirty years.
    I'm a bit paranoid about being too high up, at least in earthquake prone areas @april. One or two floors up is okay though.
This discussion has been closed.