Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Multi-lingual people have multiple-personalities

mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,492 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Words Words Words
People who are fluent in two languages often feel their personality shifting as they switch between languages. Researchers have confirmed this and between 2001 and 2003, linguists Jean-Marc Dewaele and Aneta Pavlenko asked over a thousand bilinguals whether they “feel like a different person" when they speak different languages. Nearly two-thirds said they did.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117485/multi-linguals-have-multiple-personalities

Do any of you feel 'different' when you speak another language?
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,431 mod
    I just feel more awkward when I speak German. Yesterday I went out for lunch, and I had to do all the talking to the waiter, as my two companions didn't speak German. I guess it was good practice for me.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    @mheredge Oh yes, I do feel very different. My academic English as transformed on the forum:

Hi, chummy, there is nothing but [email protected]##@?&s in your paper. Bloody hell! And I have to read it, damn it. Stop writing rubbish, pal, or I will mace you.
    Post edited by Teach on
    I can't remember ever teaching you the "b" word @Xanthippe‌.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    @Lynne, yes, that's right but it was in the film you recommended. I am very dilligent. :)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,492 ✭✭✭✭
    I realise that The Full Monty is full of the f*** word, so maybe not so suitable for the classroom @Xanthippe‌ either.
    edited December 2014
    It depends on the age of the participants @mheredge‌. It would be a disservice to pretend that we don't swear in the UK.

However, one of the rules of the forum is "No swearing" here. :smile:
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,492 ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose it seems so part of their everyday language, it hardly notices. But all the same....
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    Already I can speak 3 languages(Persian,Turkish and English),actually I havent been abroad yet and havent tried a different atmosphere to see whether I have any change in my personality or not.
This discussion has been closed.