Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Superstition

1192021222325»

Comments

• lisalisa Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭
    There is a joke about the flags of China and Vietnam, if I remembered clearly. There is a protest and local people want to show their resistance to China, but they went to the embassy of Vietnam and throw stones and bruned car tyres in front of Vietnam embassy.
  • javierjavier Posts: 287 Inactive
    Feng Shui has more than 4,000 years of history, Orientals take it very seriously. Put pictures or photographs in the bedroom with the element Earth, is one of the tips of Feng Shui, can be mountains, deserts, fields, plants , flowers, --- the colors usually used are browns and greens. and, blue and black, which represent the element Water, can not be absent. It's a good idea to be able to combine everything.
    @javier You'd better not try it because Feng shui is too mysterious to common people, as a Chinese, this is a serious suggestion, otherwise, you will get counter-consequences which I am sure will not be very happy.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I think a little understanding of feng shui can't be bad @lisa. If only to know what not to do. I think quite a lot is common sense too, like position of furniture in relation to doors or other room openings.
    @lisa, you want to say that it's better that I do not use it?
    @javier I would - maybe the Chinese have a different idea about it, but I think it gives good ideas about how to arrange things.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I can't bare having a mirrow in my bedroom or a telly.
    edited June 2018
    I have a mirror that I never notice @Hermine. It is on the back of the door and was there when I moved in. I have never had a TV in my bedroom, but until yesterday, I haven't had a TV since the 1990s when I lived in London!n At the moment it is sitting in front of me until I work out where I can put it.
    @javier Yes, you'd better not try it, but as @mheredge said, you can study some basic knowledge, such as the location of furnitures, mirrors and so on.

@mheredge I have never tried to use mirrors during the midnight or after the midnight.
    @lisa ok i will listen to your advice
    It feels as if someone looks permanently at me. Stange isn't it.
    @Hermine I find I don't even remember it is there.
    @lisa where are you from?
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 23,598 mod
    Do you know the wise words of Voltaire:
    Superstition is for faith
    What astrology is for astronomy,
    The most foolish daughter
    From a very wise mother.
    @Marianne, perhaps my inner me is a bit strange.
    @javier I am from China, the mainland of China.
    I know what you mean @Hermine about mirrors. I hate those cafes where the wall is a mirror and every time you look, you catch a reflection of yourself and the people sitting, chatting and minding their own business. It somehow feels very intrusive.
    @lisa your real name is lisa ? It does not look like a Chinese name
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    javier said:

Feng Shui has more than 4,000 years of history, Orientals take it very seriously. Put pictures or photographs in the bedroom with the element Earth, is one of the tips of Feng Shui, can be mountains, deserts, fields, plants , flowers, --- the colors usually used are browns and greens. and, blue and black, which represent the element Water, can not be absent. It's a good idea to be able to combine everything.

I read a book about this once, and tried to arrange my bedroom in relation to the rules. I didn't follow the rules completely and I'm not sure how much of a difference it made, but it was certainly interesting.
  • DakotaDakota Posts: 43 Inactive
    I'm not superstitious, not entirely at least! I beleve that we can create our destiny every day, making our personal choices and forcing our willpower ...but... I believe also that if we believe in something, and really beleve in that, it's will happen. So, I try to beleve everyday only in what I want, and in positive things.

And for safety, I can't open any umbrellas inside the houses!! XD
    I'm totally in agreement with you @Dakota. I don't have any view on opening umbrellas indoors. Sometimes I do when they are wet so that they can dry out properly.
    @Dakota Why? We have to open our wet umbrellas in order to make them dry as soon as possible.
    I put my wet umbrella in a container outside last time it got wet, as I didn't want a wet puddle in my living room. But if it isn't dripping, then it dries very quickly when it's left open.
  • DakotaDakota Posts: 43 Inactive
    yes sure, @lisa , if we open our umbrellas indoors will nothing bad happens!I said it as a joke! ;)
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 23,598 mod
    I didn't really believe in superstition but now I have a real story that engages me. Last week my mom died and a few weeks ago she said many times to me: " I want to die, my life was good but now I am tired and I asked your dad if he wants to come to get me" And believe it or not but she died on the same date of my dad 38 years later.
    @Paulette Your words remind me that my mom told me she saw her grandfather walked outside the house in the night of my grandma(my mom's mother) passed away.
    Wow @Paulette. My mother says she felt something at the time her mother dies. My grandmother was 97 and was impatient to die in the end.
  • ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    1. Here at my place, it is considered bad if you move your legs while sitting or in any case where your legs hang down .

2. My parents always told me it is a bad to touch girls with feet and every time I did it as a kid, I'd apologize to god and I don't really think this way , but this has embedded itself into me, even though giving respect to someone is different perspective but the above mentioned is like a privilege, in past once I got mocked by a girl in childhood after my parents told me not to do that again , but I slapped her afterwards when I got the chance LOL
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    Dakota said:

I'm not superstitious, not entirely at least! I beleve that we can create our destiny every day, making our personal choices and forcing our willpower ...but... I believe also that if we believe in something, and really beleve in that, it's will happen. So, I try to beleve everyday only in what I want, and in positive things.

And for safety, I can't open any umbrellas inside the houses!! XD

I agree that a lot of things to do with superstition are just common sense, such as not walking under a ladder.
    I always avoid walking under ladders (and scaffolding) for precisely this reason @GemmaRowlands.