Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Superstition

Comments

• homanmihhomanmih Posts: 716 Inactive
    OK then. Spirits are blond hair but ghousts are dark.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    @homanmih do you believe in ghosts?
    “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.”
    ― William Shakespeare, The Tempest
    @homanmih Shakespeare and ghost!
    King Hamlet appears as a Ghost three times in the play.
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭✭
    Chineses have a lot of taboo during Chinese New Year. Sweeping floor is avoided because one may sweep away his wealth.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still not totally sure there's a difference @gomaa. This might be just her interpretation.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge Spirits can travel anywhere they please to including into the ghostly ream as well as anywhere in the universe while ghosts are earthbound. Spirits are at a much higher frequency than ghosts. Imagine if you will that in order to cross to the other side you must pass through a mesh screen. While holding onto your earthbound “baggage/issues” you are not able to pass through the fine mesh screen, however those who have dropped/processed their baggage are able to cross though with ease, both “up” to the other side and back “down” to this side.

Some ghosts are proud of their status as a ghost and may relish their position. Many I have spoken to who reside at historical inns, restaurants and the like … consider themselves to be good for the business as many may visit simply in hopes of catching a glimpse of the ghost purported to be on the property. Other ghosts stay behind on battlefields as ambassadors/caretakers of the land and in order to ensure that we never forget the events connected to such places so that we may not repeat them. Ghosts who are associated with locations popular for committing suicide (such as the golden gate bridge and the empire state building) may stay behind in order to attempt to scare people off from following in their footsteps
    Yup.

• TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,161 mod
    @chyijung - I will use this as an excuse not to do the housework. :lol:
    @Lynne It seems, I also have this chinese gene. It's one of the most suspicious in my subconsciousness.
    @chyijung have you ever tried it at home? ;)
    @homanmih do you believe in it?
    I have to believe in that else they'll consider that I'm a regular idle.
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭✭
    It seems like my ancestors have learned to relax during the holiday! Did you mean sweeping the floor at home @Bubbly ? of course I sweep my own floor, I'm planning to buy a automatic sweeper to clean the floor for me, but it is expensive!
    @chyijung is there any superstition related to automatic sweeper? ;)
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,161 mod
    @Bubbly - maybe they are worried about sleep walking and sticking their head in the blades.
    @Lynne but but..superstition isn't logical. :)

@Elle What do you say about this superstition? :)
    I'm a bit skeptical about this superstition @Bubbly. After all, electric fans are a relatively new invention. But I have to agree, sometimes ceiling fans can be a bit scary if they don't look very secure!
  • ElleElle Posts: 508 Inactive
    @Bubbly I thought it is not superstition, but it is TRUE! No??? :open_mouth:
    When I was a child, I was told this all the time in every summer.
    You know, if people fall asleep in a car and all windows closed with turning on air-conditioner for about several hours, people would die.
    This is fact. In news every summer time, this incident always happens at least once.
    Maybe that's why people think the fan would work in the same way....
    But honestly I've believed this it true entire my life!! :worried:
    @Elle but how can a fan killed you even in a closed room? For air conditioner and heater, it is logical but for a fan, it sounds pretty illogical.
    @Bubbly I don't know... I didn't even think about whether it's logical or illogical..
    Since Koreans believe in that, I was too afraid to experiment whether I would die or not maybe.. :joy:
    One thing, however, is bad for sure if you turn on the fan all night while you sleep, especially the fan facing your face.
    edited March 2016
    @Elle oh! so you are scared of a fan.
    Post edited by Bubbly on
    @Bubbly I mean.. a fan is really great invention which is easy to buy, carry, store, etc.
    However, when you use it, be aware of just a couple of matters that requires attention.
    To be exposed by a fan for a long time, it makes your body cold which may cause affect your blood circulation, and swollen.
    perhaps, parents say so to their children to scare and keep them away from a fan I guess.
    @Elle I don't see anything like this in Pakistan. Here, in Summer, temperature rises upto 45-50 °C so we consider it as a blessing for us.
    @Bubbly wow!! 45-50 °C ??!! :open_mouth: I can't even imagine how hot it is..
    In summer in Korea, it's about 31-37 °C and super humid. The humidity make feel even hotter. When I use a fan at that temperature, the wind coming from a fan is not cool at all. It's warm and making me even more sticky and unpleased.
    But I couldn't complain since you are in even way hotter country.
    @Elle you may have a point as new research is suggesting electric fans may not be the healthiest way to maintain your cool. Though this is for scientific reasons, rather down to superstition.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/electric-fans-good-or-bad-241364
    @Elle We are not lucky like you. :)
    @mheredge thank you for your research and the article. It represents me a lot. ;)

@Bubbly I didn't mean by that though... ;( You are so precious for me... you know that.. :blush: