Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Beauty products for men

TeachTeach Your TeacherHomePosts: 10,081 mod
To go along with the latest "New Word" post, here are the top-selling men's personal care products:-

Deodorant/antiperspirant
Shampoo
Bar soap
Shaving gel/cream
Shower gel
Moisturizing lotion/cream
Conditioner
After-shave
All-in-one shower product
Facial cleansing products
Facial moisturizers

(Source: Mintel, 2014)
Tagged:

Comments

• FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,554 mod
    I use four of these products. I think conditioners, moisturizes and facial cleaning products are popular among, what they call, metrosexuals (without any meaning to stereotype). These are heterosexual men who are especially meticulous about their grooming and appearance, typically spending a significant amount of time and money on shopping as part of this.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭
    My former (male) flatmate left a whole load of toiletries behind including various shampoos, shower gel, aftershave lotion and hair gel (not on the list).
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,081 mod
    @mheredge‌ - Well spotted. Certainly amongst young men in the UK, hair gel uses up most of their pocket money.
    The Tin Tin look certainly has helped sale of hair gel!
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,978 mod
    Recently I bought a bottle of Colonge 4711 and then my hubby wantend a bottle of Pitralon.
    Those products had been the very first fragrances to buy in the past. Grandma and Grandpa had them.
    I do not know why exactly why I bought it and so does my husband. Might be we are getting old.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,554 mod
    Smell is strongly connected to memory @Hermine. So if your hubby uses a familiar fragrance, this will remind you of the old times, including all the feelings you had at that time. If he is going to use a brand new fragrance, on the other hand, beware not to turn off the light!
    That explains why perhaps I have always loved the smell of Chanel No 5 @lichaamstaal‌ as it has very strong associations with my mother who always used to like it best and would buy it duty free on cross-Channel ferry, on the way back from France after we visited my grandparents there.
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    I use a hair straightener and hair sprays.
    Some use concealers for hiding pimples.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,989 mod
    A few years ago, there is no way that my partner would have been interested in this type of thing at all, however it now seems that it is becoming more and more popular, and he now uses one or two items that he never would have bothered to use before, including moisturiser. In fact, he used to use mine, but when I made him aware that there were products specially for men, he chose to use those instead, which I am happy about for him as he says that they are very good indeed.
    My husband is a very groomed man, but he does neither use a moisturiser for men nor my skin creams. (I am glad I wouldn`t`like to share my favourite one)
    @hermine , My father and me use all my mom's skin creams, Maybe you are so sensitive about your creams that you you are glad he doesn't use them.
    edited February 2015
    My toothbrush and creams belong to me, full stop. ;) When you live with a family of you own you have to divide so many things, but some things should uniquely belong to you even if costs a fight.
    I'm sure that the only difference between products for the guys is the packaging @aryarchi. I don't think my father ever used any products (apart from the occasional splash of after shave).

I've just bought some Olay moisturising cream. It's a bit runnier than I like but there wasn't any of my favourite L'Oreal moisteriser in stock.
    @hermine Good for you, I wish I had my own toothbrush.
    @mheredge Do you think it is necessary to use moisturizing cream? You can't use water to moisturize it?!! :D
    Water only cleans the surface @aryarchi. Moisterizing cream helps restore the moisture further down. I think the skin produces natural oils that go a long way in keeping the skin moist, but in very hot and dry climates, a bit of cream doesn't do any harm.
    edited February 2015
    @Marianne, I hate wearing creams on hot days, but in winter or in cold conditions I wear my favourite skin creams. And at nights I don`t apply any cream, because I think my skin is good enough to generate its own balance.
    When it's hot, even sun cream seems to melt off my face @Hermine. I know what you mean. And after a hot bath or shower, I find then there's little point trying to put cream on if my face is a bit damp.

I quite like to put it on at night though.
    People and bitchslaps are different, aren`t they.
    Where did you pick up the phrase 'bitch slap' @Hermine? It means a slap but is quite a vulgar or slang term for it.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bitch_slap#English
    OMG!
    :)

I'd never heard the term before @Hermine, so I had to look it up. It's American slang and apparently came into use in the 1020s. The term is now frequently used figuratively to describe a humiliating defeat or punishment.
    And it's usually two words, or hyphenated @Hermine.

To bitch-slap s.o. - To deliver a stinging blow to someone, typically in order to humiliate them. (vulgar)

I wonder which notebook contains this one.
    @Lynne, what Notebook, I picked it from my dic.
    @lynne , Some people and specially females are disgusted, they consider it disgusting cause they believe it reduces the strength of men mentally(but not really) .
    Maybe times are changing. Seemingly 3 men get their eyebrows shaped at the brow bar in Selfridges, London, every day.
    edited April 2015
    I will never reach the appearance of the photos I can see on posters in the streets. To catch up those ideals is a no go. The beauty industries, including surgeries, earn a lot of money to get the people the illusion of being a beauty.
    I get a bit irretated when `man` becomes so perfect. Sorry.
    Neither natural odour nor hair nor tummies are allowed. Sometimes I really wonder why my husband has not scrammed yet.
    I`ve got so many errors on my body and I work on them not to change them, no I want to like them.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    We all have different kind of skin and we should use products according to our skin.Its not necessary every one should use moisturizer or any cream.Sensitive skin needs different creams.When we are young we can use any product and don't feel any problem but the mature and aging skin need extra care and right product.I notice people always solve their hair and skin problems with wrong products,I mean if some one has hair loss man or woman doesn't matter what age they use the same shampoo which they saw in an advertisement. They don't know why their hair is falling,age 24 to 70 using the same thing and same way treating their skin.If we use right product I am sure it will work.
This discussion has been closed.