Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

How are you feeling today?

Comments

• SarrafSarraf Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Today I was so busy, but right now at night after getting some rest I feel relieved.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,877 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping the weather will improve. I was woken by thunder and right now there's a storm outside. I have to go out this morning, so I hope it will have stopped raining by then.
    I was feeling a bit disappointed after having plans for today scuppered by the weather, but was considerably cheered up by spending a very enjoyable morning sketching before getting my bus home.
  • VokVok Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate it when the bad weather puts paid to my plans. I'm glad to hear that you managed to enjoy your morning nonetheless @mheredge .
    The weather forecast is so unreliable in this area. The coast and the mountains make it very fickle. I receive two messages a day for the weather in Nice and it is amazing how they are never in agreement - the temperature and timing is always completely different. And I am not sure that either is actually accurate too @Vok. My fingers are crossed for tomorrow morning when a few of us hope to go to the flower market in the old town to sketch. Again, one website says it won't be raining, while another suggests rain.
    This guy must have been over the moon when he had his valuable violin returned to him after leaving it on a train.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-london-50280238/musician-stephen-morris-shock-as-lost-250000-violin-returned

@mheredge He must've been. Whoever returned him his violin apparently wasn't aware of its cost.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 29,517 mod
    I also think so, but I don't think the person who found the violin brought it back on it's on initiative ,it was after a message spread by the Britisch police that the man per twitter message give a reaction on it and, the violist got back the violin made in 1709 by David Tecchler, while the police was with him.
    Possibly @Vok and @Paulette. What it suggests however, is that the person who found it was not a criminal. A real thief would have found a way to make something out of it, even if it was a rare and valuable violin that could be tricky to sell.

I hope that he was given some kind of reward, though the interview did not mention this.
  • tomatoma Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Hi every one
    I have here the text from my homework I will be happy if someone or all reads and makes some chacks
    The text: Ok, Let's talk first about the car. There are some terms such as Lights; wipers; Radio; Telephone set; Air conditioning and Ignition. At first, Let's consider Lights. My voice command about light will be tarn on light, but before this, I think I need something preamble word that will be for my car start word to determine that I am starting commanding I prepare this word will be "My car" like this "My car" torn on lights. Anyway, my voice-command structure will be the sum of two parts first part of the command will be start word "MyCare" second part will be what exactly want I from my car. E.g. if I want to turn the radio, the command will be "MyCare-turn the radio. About telephone set "MyCare - set up the telephone".
    I have not a good idea about how will be this commands will be for computers but I think there also will be predictable words and predictable structure and rules to use the words as commands.
    toma said:

Hi every one

I have here the text from my homework I will be happy if someone or everyone reads it and makes some checks

The text: Ok, Let's talk first about the car. There are some terms such as lights; wipers; radio; telephone set; air conditioning and ignition. At first, Let's consider the lights. My voice command for light will be turn on the light, but before this, I think I need something initial word for my car to start. I prepare this command like "My car" and then "My car" 'turn on lights'. Anyway, my voice-command structure will be the sum of two parts: the first part of the command will start with "My Car," the second part will be what exactly I want from my car. E.g. if I want to turn on the radio, the command will be "My Car-turn on the radio. For the telephone set "My Car - set up the telephone".

I don't have any good ideas about how will be these commands will work for computers but I think there also will be predictable words and predictable structures and rules to use as commands.

@toma I hope this helps. Watch out for articles and capitals.
  • mandalaputramandalaputra Posts: 10 ✭✭
    good topic!
    i think i would say i am sad and hurt today.
    Who has hurt you @mandalaputra . I hope it will be over soon it isn't a fine feeling. Try to see a nice thing in your day, be happy about something you did. Be proud on yourself
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭
    Good advices, dear Paulette.
    I am feeling very inspired after a day out with friends in Italy sketching in a lovely little town by the sea. I unintentionally went on a recruitment drive for the Learn English Forum as many of the Italian friends were very interested in improving their English. I hope that they will join us and have fun learning English with us here.
    This speech is not just good listening practice, but it is funny as well inspirational.

I'm snowed under these days. It seems that everyone around me are trying to squeeze as much work as possible into the end of the year. I could do with some respite.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,484 mod
    You should have come to the Karaoke session last night.
    I could listen to the song of @Alexa and it was very lovely
    I'm feeling stuffed. I've eaten too much.
  • walterwalter Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    Today I feeling tired. Yesterday I was work all day. First I worked at my regular job and then I went to my part-time job. Today I plan to go to the gym after job.
    @Teach believe me you don't want to hear me singing :D
    I'm feeling rather pleased with today as with some friends, we planted about eight little trees in a wetlands park just outside of the city. Four more saplings need a bit longer before they can be planted, so the park staff said that they will do this when they are ready. The travel agent who I have been working with for the past couple of days calculated my carbon footprint that I had made flying to Sri Lanka and translated this into the number of trees needed to offset this. I think really I should have planted a lot more trees (about thirty or forty), but it was better than nothing.
    I'm watching the election results for the general election in the UK with horror aß I'm seeing the Tories win former Labour strongholds. Corbyn has lost the election for Labour as the most unpopular leader in decades. He's handed the Tories the biggest majority in decades too.
    @mheredge What does this victory mean? Does it mean that leaving EU is a foregone conclusion?
    Yes and maybe fast and with no deal unfortunately @Vok. There's no possibility of a second referendum and the door is open to crash out without much further thought of the consequences. In Scotland SNP won 48 out of 59 seats and so I can see that Nicola Sturgeon will probably be pushing for Scottish independence as soon as the dust settles. Unfortunately when you look at the actual number of votes cast, the Conservatives don't have a majority. The Liberals and I guess the LibDems after them have always argued for proportional representation. Given the lines of constituencies are very artificial, it begs the question as to how do you get real democracy.
    I guess If there was a second referendum it would be the same outcome, just judging by the landslide victory of Boris Johnson @mheredge . Or it isn't that simple, is it?
    It's complicated and I think everyone now is so browned off by it all @Vok, that this is making everyone, including remainers want it all finished. But of course it will just be the start of a very long process. No one has thought anything through, least of all how complex it will be to set up new trade agreements and extract the country from the very comprehensive web of rules and regulations that were signed up to as an EU member.

I'm feeling exhausted but relieved to have managed to successfully apply for my e-visa for India. With any luck I won't have to repeat the ordeal for another five years as India has just started issuing five year visas.
  • NourNour Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I feel much better than during the two previous days, I was very stressed, tired and terribly missing a friend. Today I feel more relaxed and grateful about many things. Also, holidays are right ahead and this is a positive thing.
    @Nour Having a holiday on the horison is all that keeps me going sometimes. You have always something to look forward to.