Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
There I was on a July morning,
I was looking for love.
With the strength
Of a new day dawning
And the beautiful sun.
And at the sound
Of the first bird singing
I was leaving for home.
With the storm
And the night behind me
Yeah, and a road of my own.

Uriah Heep - July Morning
Learn English in June

How are you feeling today?

Comments

• HermineHermine Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7
    @Paulette, you see yourself in that way.

But, I know you - at least - a little bit. For me you are a very good person, who 'never' give up. You fight until you got it straight- I swear I admire you for that. You have learnt to fight for your own rights.
    You have to tell so many great things, out from your heart and your own experiences.
    You always see the good things in a person. You are so lively with all the ups and downs we have to undergo from time to time.
    You keep your familiy together and they feel your love for them. You pray for them and your thoughts are with them when there is something important going on.
    Paulette - don't doubt so much about youself - you are great, unique and I'm thankful for the moment I met you.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 48,481 ✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone has self-doubts, it is just a matter of degree and also whether they can express them. 5I'm good at bottling them up). I have to say though, I count myself very privileged to know you through the Forum @Hermine, @Paulette and @Michouxe.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 35,510 mod
    Grass

Lovely weather, time for a long bike ride along the vast fields and through mysterious paths. On the fields, farmers are mowing the lawns.
    The sun shines brighter than expected and I feel drops of sweat on my upper lip, is it from the heat or from indefinable stress or doubts....
    I give in to the inviting bench and survey the environment and sniffle in the scents of the surrounding.
    , I try to concentrate on the overpowering scent of freshly cut grass, a heavy dominating scent, but so pleasant to sniff the real nature.

When the grass has been freshly cut, you can smell 'green leaf volatile', substances that the grass secretes when it suffers structural damage. This smell attracts parasitic wasps and other insects that lay their eggs in, another wonder of nature.

I wonder if the farmer who mows the grass also experiences this. And can city dwellers also be so impressed by this wonderful smell? The nose for grass, which will soon become hay for the cattle. Would the grazing cows and curious horses that I see in the nearby meadows also be so taken with this pungent smell of freshly cut grass? Who knows.....

And while the sun slowly sets down, I cycle back home very relaxed, my lungs filled with healthy air, at least I hope so....
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 4,615 mod
    @mheredge @Paulette @Michouxe @Hermine I think you are all awesome. We all have times when things are not perfect but that perfection is different for all of us so there is no perfect!
    We judge ourselves so harshly against parameters that are weird and who says they are the right ones?

You are all perfect in your own ways; you are all kind and helpful; you all have tenacity and curiosity. Honestly, you couldn't ask for more. <3
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @amatsuscribbler <3 Thanks for the kind words of support and encouragement!
    @Paulette : Nice story about the grass!
    Although my neighbor's grass grows taller than the hedge and while my husband was trimming the hedge we saw I fog of pollen coming our direction. The result was a prolonged sneeze and watery eyes.
    Other years we were at the coast and we didn't have that problem there.
    But we love our garden with all its pros and cons , enjoy the sun, flowers and the grass and while reading a book, falling asleep peacefully next to each other.
    As a kid I used to love the weekends when my father mowed the lawn. That smell of freshly cut grass is like nothing else. I'm surprised there isn't a perfume! But then I am lucky as I don't suffer from hay-fever.
    Finally, after so long time the reunification......

When I see them walk in through the gate, my heart skips a beat.
    My garden is an oasis of happiness, and after a moment of silence, after the eruption of feelings and emotions, the experiencing of magnificent happiness.

No one can be stopped with talking. Stories fly back and forth, with in between a sudden feeling of a pair of hands around my neck (whether big or small) and fleeting kisses, it is just wonderful.
    Picking up snatches of wild, fantastic never-ending stories about everything that has been cleaned up or has changed in this long past time, not to mention the endless list of plans for the future.
    There can't get a pin in between the talks they missed more than a year.

Suddenly it feels for me like it was before a small invader took over the world. The radiant looks, not hidden behind masks, the bustle around, everybody so happy. Am I not dreaming?
    I walk in between them , play with the grandchildren, provide everyone with drinks and snacks, it seems as if I am walking on a cloud.
    Then suddenly somewhat negative thoughts that flood me, is this real, is this safe, am I not doing anything wrong....Isn't it too early to enjoy...

That first step of newfound freedom, which I was so looking forward to, which I welcomed with open arms, it makes me so uncertain. It will take some getting used to before I feel completely safe again, I think.

But nevertheless I enjoyed it and that gives me a good feeling and I continue to believe in a nice future
    I can imagine it was a wonderful reunion @Paulette. I think bit by bit we'll go back to normal. Maybe it will help us appreciate things better now.
    Today we had an appointment on a terrace of the Hotel van der Valk with a friend , first we drank a Cava and than we ate some hot snacks with a beer. It was very long ago through the covid -19 and finnaly we could catch up. It was a very cosy afternoon .

Only I am a bit worried. At the moment I sleep very well ,this has been different once so I can't complain about this . But I can't stop yawning and when I want to read or do some exercises , my eyes turn away. I have had this problem for a while.
    In between some sleep is all I can do. Very annoying.
    @Paulette , I can imagine too!
    I'm so glad you found the happiness again to see all your family! But I understand you feel anxious , you are worried! We have to have faith in the vaccinations and I think everything will be fine. Enjoy these beautiful moments as much as possible! <3
    @Michouxe I have sleepy spells all the time! I have stopped trying to work out why.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭✭
    Me too @mheredge.
    Why am I feeling so active? ;)
    edited June 15
    @mheredge @Hermine It's mostly when I read and in the car , as long I am busy I don't feel so sleepy! But I am a "little" more reassured when I hear I am not the only with this problem.🥱

Yes @Paulette why are you so active, do you use Duracell batteries?😂
    Post edited by Michouxe on
    Buses make me feel very sleepy @Michouxe and cars - well it's almost guaranteed. I'm joining a couple of friends sketching today and will be catching a train to get to the village that lies just beyond Monaco. I doubt I'll doze off as it will be the rush hour though fortunately the journey isn't very long. I'm not looking forward to the early start tomorrow as I will be catching a train at 05:45! I will definitely be snoozing on this one.
    Yes @Paulette why are you so active, do you use Duracell batteries?😂

@Paulette ,You don't like jokes ?🤔
    @Michouxe why do you ask I don't like jokes? Yes I do but I just thought it was maybe stupid to say that I was active, because everyone here is active. I don't want to be too selfish.I am just a bit a person who don't find rest.
    Your joke is fantastic.
    @Paulette , Normally I would respond to jokes or with "LOL" myself, but maybe I'm thinking in a different way! I though you were mad at me.
    @Michouxe Maybe weird from me but I don't use the word LOL. I need to do it more. I like more the emoji where you can see the expressions.
    @Paulette Don't worry , it's ok. Besides you're not obligated to do anything you don't like!
    Sorry for my comment!
    @Michouxe I like your comments, but you know me too, I like it more to see real expressions. I have missed them a lot. Maybe a kind of professional malformation. I always wanted to see the expression of the students.
    @Paulette , I can't see expressions myself and I don't want to be left with negative thoughts, so I react to what my feelings say. And don't worry I have not reason to be mad. End comment!
    I feel tired. I went out for the day sketching and just got back. I'm off out early tomorrow. I need those Duracell batteries @Michouxe.

I painted this café. The young girl who makes ice cream here (her husband runs the restaurant a little further down the same street) loved it so much that I gave it to her!

edited June 16
    Do you want mine Duracells batteries @mheredge LOL

A very nice drawing. I also like the colours they create lovely feelings.
    Well I set several alarms for 4am, sleep-walked to the station, only to find that my train had been cancelled due to a strike @Paulette. There was a train leaving 90 minutes later, which would have meant arriving around midday and when I checked, there was only the last train running back later in the day, so I decided to postpone my trip. I crawled back home, ready to go back to bed again!
    edited June 17

@mheredge @Paulette I hope these Duracell batteries aren't just for rabbits!
    Nice you made that young girl happy with the beautiful painting. It seems there are so many nice places , the little street with the arch and the lantern ,so beautiful!

It's a big rabbit! :o
    So you compare me with a rabbit @Michouxe, maybe because I have so much children? :p
    Do you never eat carrots?😉
    They say that carrots are good for seeing in the dark @Michouxe. Or maybe it's the vitamin A.

This article reports on scientists proving that we cannot live forever and ageing is normal!

"The study, by an international collaboration of scientists from 14 countries and including experts from the University of Oxford, set out to test the “invariant rate of ageing” hypothesis, which says that a species has a relatively fixed rate of ageing from adulthood.

“Our findings support the theory that, rather than slowing down death, more people are living much longer due to a reduction in mortality at younger ages,” said José Manuel Aburto from Oxford’s Leverhulme Centre for Demographic Science, who analysed age-specific birth and death data spanning centuries and continents.
    150 years old: how the quest for eternal life found its natural limit
    Read more

“We compared birth and death data from humans and non-human primates and found this general pattern of mortality was the same in all of them,” said Aburto. “This suggests that biological, rather than environmental factors, ultimately control longevity.
    Advertisement

“The statistics confirmed, individuals live longer as health and living conditions improve which leads to increasing longevity across an entire population. Nevertheless, a steep rise in death rates, as years advance into old age, is clear to see in all species.”

The debate over how much longer we can live has divided the academic community for decades, with the search for extended life and health particularly active in the UK, where at least 260 companies, 250 investors, 10 non-profits, and 10 research labs are using the most advanced technologies....

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jun/17/ageing-process-is-irreversible-finds-unprecedented-study?utm_term=b7af5fa6f8d0c1c271c7f6223f460dac&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email

It seems that millions of pounds have been spent on something that I would have thought we already knew!