Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

How much sleep do I really need?

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 36,127 mod
edited June 2016 in Health and Beauty
The 18 US experts sifted through 320 research articles to come up with the latest recommendations. The articles were whittled down from an original 2,412, so I wonder how many managed to keep awake to read them all.

It seems too much and too little sleep is associated with much the same problems of an increased risk of diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity. The new guidelines even comes up with what might be appropriate for different ages. Children aged six to nine need nine to 11 hours a night, but can get by on seven to eight. Teenagers need eight to 10 hours. Seven hours may be OK for some, but more than 11 hours a day may be detrimental to their health.

I'm not all that sure this massive report tells us anything we didn't already know. But do you get enough sleep? How much do you think you need?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/15/how-much-sleep-do-i-need-recommended-amounts-all-ages?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

----------------

The "scientific" advice and evidence on how much sleep we need and how much sleep we get is often contradictory.
Post edited by Teach on
Tagged:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    This is a great information. I think that we need for 8 hours per day
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,127 mod
    I'm happy if I get seven hours @sarataer, but I feel a bit cheated if I get six or less. I'm not sure, but if I sleep longer I usually feel as tired afterwards as if I'd been deprived of sleep. Too much sleep for me is just as bad as not enough.
    You are completely right. .Hahaha :D
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    I prefer to be as tired as possible before sleeping. I don't like to force myself to sleep while I'm not sleepy.
    As it is suggested, It's enough to sleep 7 hours.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,741 mod
    edited February 2015
    If I don't get my 8 hours, I'm a ratbag.

I usually read in bed, and some people say this is not good for you, but if I don't read at least a page, my brain can't switch off.

What do you do to get to sleep?
    Post edited by Teach on
    Why do they say reading in bed isn't good for you @Lynne? I'd have thought the opposite.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,275 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think deep sleep is more important than number of hours. What say you!
    I don't know @bubbli. I know if I get too much sleep this is almost as bad as not enough. I went to bed at 9pm day before yesterday and was up at 6.30am which was too many hours. I felt tired all day. Last night it was gone midnight by the time I switched off the light and I was awake at 7am. That was about right.
    @mheredge I think it varies from person to person. My mother use to take 4 to 5 hours sleep and she is as fresh as any other person is. If I take less than 8 hours sleep I feel dull and sleepy all the day.
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭
    you need 7 to 9 hours
    I think I'm best having 6-7 hours @bubbli, @zakaria_dandouni1. Less or more than this, then I feel sleepy next day.
    @mheredge I hate sleep it's a waste of time, I hope one day we won't have to sleep , just like avatar, using two bodies , one is sleeping and the other is having fun and vice versa
    Zakaria you need sleep to refresh your body and mind. It helps to regain some energy. Somehow, I agree with you that we should not spend our much time to just sleep or feel somber all the time. But on weekend my sleep is more than 8 hours after having quite hectic working days.
    I like sleeping @zakaria_dandouni1, as I always have interesting dreams. The only problem is that they only stay with me for a few seconds and I easily forget them once I wake up properly.
    @mheredge it's the same for me I dream every night, I remember only only a few things too. I think the only time I enjoy sleeping is after exams.
    @bubbli see you agree with me that people are oversleeping and that's a wwaste of time, if we do the math you'll be surprised on how many years we spent sleeping, but as you said when you start working it's another stry, maybe I'm saying this because I'm a student.
    Zakaria Yes but its personal choice and habit. We waste time on many other activities not only oversleeping can be blamed for it. I can empathize with you because when I was a student I always wished for having a sound sleep that I did have only in vacations.
    yes in my case, I came tired from school I only have like 6 hours left of my battery, and then I sleep, It irritates me
    Zakaria Take it easy. Even six hours sleep is fine for you.
  • cloudycloudy Posts: 2
    I always feel better in the next morning after 8 hour sleep
    I had a few late nights and early starts during the last couple of days. Maybe this is why I feel a little dopey.
    Hi, I'm new for his topic. I have some questions to ask. I worked continuously few weeks without getting a leave. Even at week ends also. And I'm staying awake until 12or 1AM and get up at 6-6.30AM. I reduced my dinner in order to loose my weight so I only have breakfast and lunch. Since few weeks earlier I'm having a terrible back pain. Now it has got increased. Now I'm going to take leaves as I thought to have some rest.

Are these things have a connection with my back pain??have anyone got any idea???
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    I need 8 hours to sleep. Sleep is like our appetite for food and it depends on the person to increase or decrease the requirement of sleep. Some people are used to sleep 4 to 5 hours and remain active throughout the day Whilst some people are used to sleep 12 to 13 hours in a day but they remain dull throughout the day.
    @mheredge point out my mistakes.
    @manoj0001 oh! you must be careful of your diet and sitting posture. Back ache can be worst if you did any carelessness. You should consult any doctor because there may be a number of reasons behind this pain.
    edited April 2015
    I was woken this morning by the ping of a message arriving in my Chat box on my tablet that was on the bedside table. This will teach me to have it sitting so close to my head when I go to sleep. It was about 8am, so I'd overslept a bit.
    sometimes it happens @mheredge I can't wake up in the morning without alarm and sometimes I forget to set an alarm and face the issue of being late to office.
    I read that the oldest person in the world died yesterday, at the age of 117 years old. This Japanese lady swore that her secret was at least eight hours of sleep a night and a diet of sushi.
    LOL @mheredge now poeple start eating Sushi. Full time marketing. Lets start our business of Sushi by quoting her as marketing gimmick. :)
  • vendelaovendelao Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I think 8 hours is good :)
    It is healthy food @bubbli. But then the oldest Brit swears by porridge.

I had some cough mixture the other night. It knocked me out, it was so potent. I only take the stuff before bed as I'm never sure how it will be.