Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Do you believe in angels?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,687 ✭✭✭✭
    I Have a Dream

I have a dream, a song to sing
    To help me cope with anything
    If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
    You can take the future even if you fail
    I believe in angels
    Something good in everything I see
    I believe in angels
    When I know the time is right for me
    I'll cross the stream - I have a dream

I have a dream, a fantasy
    To help me through reality
    And my destination makes it worth the while
    Pushing through the darkness still another mile
    I believe in angels
    I believe in angels

I have a dream, a song to sing
    To help me cope with anything
    If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
    You can take the future even if you fail
    I believe in angels
    I believe in angels

I believe in angels
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you believe in ghosts? @Frank :)
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,558 mod
    edited May 2015
    Aren't angels a specific kind of ghosts (spirits) too @bubbli?

I've never seen a ghost as far as I can remember. As a child I prayed that I never would have to see a ghost, because it would probably frighten me enormously. Now I look at it differently. If I saw a ghost, wouldn't that be a prove of eternal life? Shouldn't I be happy instead of afraid then? Of course it could be either a good ghost or a bad ghost, but if they existed, would seeing them or not make any difference?

Anyway. I don't know if ghosts exist. If I saw one I still wouldn't be convinced they really existed. I might just have gone crazy. I hope they exist, but I'm not going to search for them.
    I don't think so. I think ghosts are imaginary characters that manifest our fears. :)
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 Inactive
    @Frank did you write this comment or ghosts? I'm happy that I see you again.
    Until so far I haven't used any ghost writers @nel
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭✭
    @Frank What would be your reaction if you saw a ghost now, would you calmly talk to them or would you drop everything and run away? I don't know if I want to see them. but I think @bubbli is right, ghost is the manifest of our own fears, sometime I watched horror film at night and they scared me so much that I could feel something was around the corner somewhere in the house, but if I didn't watched those film I usually didn't have those imagination.
    edited May 2015
    That depends @chyijung. My mother told me about an experience she had a few weeks after my father died. She was sitting in her living room and looked at the couch. In a split second she saw a clear image of my father lying there. He had a peaceful expression and he smiled at her. After a few seconds the image had gone. It gave her a feeling of rest as if everything was okay. My mother is not the kind of person to believe in ghosts. However, she just accepted the situation as something good. When I talked to her and suggested that it could be a hallucination (which she never had had before or after this situation) she answered that this could be true or not. Actually this question didn't change anything about how she felt about this experience. It was just good.

I agree with you both @chyijung and @bubbli that ghosts can be a manifest of our fears. Fears can even cause ghosts to appear to the frightened in the form of hallucinations. There have been lots of people who have totally gone mad because they believed they got in contact with evil ghosts and dark magic. In fact, people create there own reality, sometimes ghosts included. That doesn't mean these experiences are always fearful or bad.

I don't know how I would react if I suddenly saw a ghost. Would I talk with it, or would I run away? Maybe I would just have to get used to them first.
    Post edited by Frank on

@Frank whilst I didn't see anything, after my father died I felt his presence a few times, almost like he was watching over me. Interestingly my father used to always have an open mind about the exist of ghosts. I'm inclined to believe in them. Children are often mosre susceptible to seeing them. I used to tutor a little Nepali boy who was scared by them until I managed to convince him that they didn't necessarily have to be bad and that ghosts can be good too.

Would you believe it, but yesterday I saw the cutest little Chinese girl wearing pink angel wings. She was sitting playing in the corner of a shop in the railway station. So yes, I believe in angels!
  • FerFer Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    No I don't believe in angel because it is not tangible , but I have seen people who help other in their life, So I can say these people are angels.
    Angels are called by different names. My understanding is that yhey are like a spirit. I'm not sure if I can reject the idea totally. I want to keep an open mind on the subject @Fereshteh. I think I want to believe in spirits, so I suppose this means I should also believe in angels.
  • rahil11rahil11 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I wish, one day I will face a real ghost @frank ;)
    What are you going to ask him @rahil11?
    edited June 2015
    I'm going to have fight with him if he will be visible to me, and also want to know how scary they actually look like ;) @Frank
  • CheskaCheska Posts: 81 ✭✭
    I believe in Angels!!!
    In the story I'm reading, a sequel to Chocolate by Joanne Harris, the children have spirits who are there for anyone to see, only grown ups don't usually see them.
    I believe in angels and it is also in our religion to have faith on them.

@rahil11 I also want to see ghosts like "aatma" that is described in Indian dramas.
    edited July 2015
    I hope you will get to see anyone among them someday and also hope that you won't fell unconscious then ;) @bubbli
    I believe in spirits. I think angels are spirits. So I believe in angels.
    @rahil11 hahaha. Did you see any "aatma" like character around? :)
  • christellechristelle Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe angels exist and that we can meet them in their world when we dream and we can feel them when we meditate or when we are in deep contact with nature.
    But we can't see them with our human eyes, our physical, material eyes. I think we need to develop another kind of "organ of sense" more subtle to feel them.
    Or maybe I read too much !
    Yes, Bernard Werber inspires me. Do you know him ?

He is a french author. He has written :
    - Empire of the Ants, which deals with microcosmos
    - Thanatonautes, which deals with human being and what happens after death
    - Empire of the Angels, which deals with macrocosmos

I just read Thanatonautes and I've started "Empire of the Angels". In the Thanatonautes, he already talks about angels and parallel worlds.
    Here is a summary of Les Thanatonautes :

Les Thanatonautes (English: The Thanatonauts) is a 1994 science fiction novel by French writer Bernard Werber. The book deals with the search for afterlife.

Les Thanatonautes is first in a five-part series. Together with L'Empire des anges ("The Empire of Angels", 2000) and Nous les dieux ("Us the Gods", 2004), it makes up the Les Thanatonautes trilogy. Nous les dieux, together with Le souffle des dieux ("The Breath of the Gods", 2005) and Le mystère des dieux ("The Mystery of the Gods", 2007), make up the Nous les dieux trilogy.

The book, which one could classify as philosophic science fiction (with a hint of fantasy), takes us on a voyage to the last unexplored continent, death. The term thanatonaute is derived from "thanatologie", comes from the Greek god of death Thanatos and nautis (navigateur) and thus signifies navigator of death or explorer of death.

The novel tells the story of a researcher Michael Pinson and his friend Raoul Razorbak who go explore the Ultimate Continent (called New Australia): the continent of death. This adventure takes us across the different zones of the continent of the dead to the famous light. In doing these explorations the thanatonautes voluntarily risk their lives to discover the mysteries of death.

The book is scattered regularly with a number of different sacred texts drawn from mythology, religion, and cosmogony from all over the world to highlight how each of these points of view resemble each other and tell the same story just with different words and symbols.
    And here is a summary of
    EMPIRE OF THE ANGELS :

What do the angels think of us ?
    How do they see our species, swarming over the earth ?
    Bernard Werber lets us discover paradise as though it were an unconquered territory, where beings who wish us well are trying to save us despite ourselves. As original as Empire of the Ants, as perturbing as The Thanatonautes, as passionate as The Father of our Fathers, Empire of the Angels takes us on a journey to the world beyond our existence. Bernard Werber once again exercises the talent that has made his international reputation, not hesitating to put his surprising intuitions to the test of a Romanesque adventure, as one might with philosophical or scientific theories. Doesn't Empire of the Angels offer the best viewpoint to observe Humanity in movement ? After earth, sky, sea and stars, isn't paradise the last frontier that remains unexplored ?
    Do you know Bernard Werber @bubbli @mheredge @rahil11 @Zom @Lynne @fahim_majeed @nel ?
  • AlantikaAlantika Posts: 182 Inactive
    Yes, i belived it. :)
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @christelle, I read the Ants trilogy by Bernard Werber, but you are thinking of the Angel series, aren't you?
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    Oui la trilogie des anges.

Yes, @Zom .
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @christelle, What does it tell you about angels?
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.