Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Earth vs. Kepler-Who would want to go there?

BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in Science and nature
All the known potentially habitable exoplanets so far are superterran worlds (aka super-Earths) somewhat larger than Earth. The potential of life of these worlds is difficult to relate to Earth since there are no planets in the Solar System of comparable size and we know very little of them. Now a team of scientists led by Elisa V. Quintana from the SETI Institute and NASA Ames report the discovery of Kepler-186f, the first terran world (Earth-size) in the habitable zone of a star.

Kepler-186f has a similar size to Earth and it is most likely a rocky world. It orbits the M-dwarf star Kepler-186 along with four other inner planets, which are as old as the Solar System (>4 Gyr), in the constellation Cygnus 500 light years away. Kepler-186f receives less stellar flux (~32%) than presently does Mars (~43%). It could have a temperate climate if it has an atmosphere much denser than Earth. Even Earth probably experienced at least one episode of global glaciation with just a slightly lower stellar flux than today, 650 million years ago. However, early Mars had running surface liquid water with a similar stellar flux as Kepler-186f.

http://phl.upr.edu/press-releases/firstpotentiallyhabitableterranworld

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    so no body is interested to go there?:(
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭
    @bubbli why did they name it Kepler 186f, I'm interested to go there but not alone -_-
    no idea about the name. Only NASA can tell about it.
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭
    what about you, are you interested to go there alone ?
    I will take all the moderators of English forum with me. :P
    @meu @rahil11 @moath @nisreen.mustafa do you guys want to go there? :)
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh yeah I heard about it.
    I want to go but I am a little scared.
    who knows they would be having world war IV :o :worried:
    @meu I am more interested in aliens.;)
    What if their boys are ferocious and their girls are ugly??
    What would we do then :warning:
  • rahil11rahil11 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I would like to be the first person to land on that planet but along with you and few other friends from this forum :) @bubbli
    @meu, no worry, they will be still better than us
    @rahil11 don't forget to take oxygen with you. ;)
    @bubbli the point is how much time it will take us to reach there!
    1ly is approx equal to 9.46 trillion km... And we are talking about 500ly. Mars is just 140 million km away(average), still I took India 300 days to reach there..
    It may take just few hundred years to reach there, should we continue our mission? ;)
    @rahil11 What a calculation! Jut few hundred years!!! not a big deal. :p
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,704 ✭✭✭✭
    I live travelling @bubbli, but please count me out. I still haven't been to all the countries on planet Earth! Seven hours on an airplane is as much as I like with no break.
    @mheredge Aliens would like to warm welcome you in Kepler because they know only you would travel round the Kepler without a break. :)
    But have you checked out whether there's any oxygen on Kepler @bubbli? I don't want to have to travel in a spacesuit with oxygen tanks!
    @mheredge don't worry Earth has enough oxygen to give you, but how many oxygen cylinder do you need?. :)
    @mheredge I will carry your tanks, you only need to come, you, @bubbli @lynne will lead us :)
    edited September 2015
    @rahil11 You don't know whom you are talking to. Marianne is the only person I met in my life who traveled almost the whole world. If she got some chance, she would love to go to Kepler as well. :)
    I know that's why I'm saying her to lead us. She has got lot of experience in this matter so she will be prime member of our group :) @bubbli
    Hmmm I prefer to travel overland @bubbli. I fly if I have to, but much prefer going by other means.

I've just spent most of the afternoon booking my train from Ancona to Venice and a ferry from Split to Ancona. (I still need to book my bus from Sarajevo to Split).

In the olden days (pre-internet), a travel agent would have been able to do this for me. Now it's easy - that is if you don't have to book with Trenitalia! Their website is very flakey.
    @mheredge Why don't you write some stories based on your personal experience of different countries?

PS: These days I am motivating everyone to write a story. ;)
    Laziness @bubbli. Which is no excuse, I know. Especially as I'm a bit at a loose end right now.
    edited September 2015
    @rahil11 yeah they could be.
    So I will take all the positive and good people with me.
    All Palestinians, all Kashmiris, all Syrians and everyone who is deprived on this planet.
    @moath are you ready?
    :blush:
    and where am I in your plan @rahil11 :angry:
    I agree with @mheredge, I get sick of travelling. I had severe problem of motion sickness so I used to take a pill before entering any vehicle. :#
    edited September 2015
    @meu have I forgotten to mention you In my plan? :D ;)

Yes, We should take everyone with us, who is deprived of this planet, humanity has been buried somewhere
  • RomanRoman Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    The fastest ship ever built is New Horizons (the one who visited Pluto recently), that travels at 58000 km/h. If Kepler-186f ( I guess the name is probably due the Kepler satelite used to find the planet) is located at 500 light years from us, with our current technology, the travel would take 500*365*24*60*60*300000 km / 58000 km/h /24/365= 10.800.000 years.
    Hmm, I will be a bit tired at arrival.
    @meu what if some political leaders reach before you there. :)