Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Weekend yes or weekend not?

greensurfergreensurfer Posts: 22 ✭✭
Good evening to all of you.
How did you spend your last weekend? It was great? I hope so!
I had a relaxing weekend after a hard-working week. It rained a lot as usual all this winter long.
Anyway, I had a great time and that's all.

A grammar question. How can I say it?
1) It rained a lot as usual all this winter long. Or:
2) It rained a lot as it's been used to be all this winter long.
Make it clear to me, please!

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,015 mod
    What about this, @greensurfer ?

As always, it rained a lot; just like it had rained the whole winter long.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,702 ✭✭✭✭
    Weekends in Nepal only last one dat (Saturday), so usually pass too quickly.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    Oh big yes,weekend is for relaxing,mostly do gardening and painting .
    I've lost track of the day of the week! This is a problem when you're on holiday.
    edited May 2015
    I'm not on holiday, but the whole day I was thinking that today was Saturday. :)
    Post edited by april on
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    Weekend Yes most of the time. I have planned many activities regarding housework and leisure time. So I wait for the weekend to get relaxed by availing extra hours of sleep.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    Weekend always gives us extra excitement .
  • FerFer Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Weekend in my country only last one day and it is Friday, so it pass very quickly but it is time for relaxing and sleeping. :)
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Fereshteh - A one day only weekend, poor you. I'm always trying my best to extend my weekend to 3 days in a row. It's the minimum I need to charge up my batteries before tackling a work week. Alas officially I'm often limited to two, but there are tricks. :D
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    @Zom weekend with 3 days. How do you get that? Any tricks. :P
    Well, these tricks may apply only if you feel comfy with the French views of work and are working in a French environment. So first I have a question. What do you think is the French perception of working in general?
  • FerFer Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    @Zom What are the tricks that you do ?
    I find some French people like to find every excuse for not being able to work: too much snow, too much rain and so on. But the British are the same with excuses like the wrong kind of leaves on the railway tracks that caused the trains to be delayed. But in some countries there are so many religious festivals that hardly a week goes by when the place grinds to a standstill. So @Zom, I think most people have a similar attitude towards work.
    edited June 2015
    No need of excuses. If you're not on a 9-5 job in France, you've got to know that most people arrive at around 10-10.30 in the morning and leave by 6.30pm.

So on a Friday make it to arrive first, say at 9am and keep working during lunch time, then nobody will make a fuss when you leave by 2pm.

On Monday people will arrive at 10.30-10:45am and will start with a coffee talking about their weekend, so nobody will notice when you turn up even if it's close to midday.

As long as your job is done, you'll have hardly any problems.
  • JandarkJandark Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Don't like weekends and it since my childhood .It was full of in- and outdoors work ,arguing and the radio playing some old dull podcast.
    @Jandark why arguing?
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    I like weekend, it gives you a change in the daily routine work.I think if weekends would not be a part of our lives then many people get bored with their lives because people need change to get motivation.
    For me weekend is also a weekend routine, @shah51272.
    A lot of housework; it is mostly busier than the other days in the week. :)
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    @april for wives, mothers there is a lot of work to do at weekends as their children, husband are at home and they have to do much work as compared to week days.I think weekend would not be a good change for housewives.
    Very well said, @shah51272 . :)
    @shah51272 I think their hubbies should help them to make their weekend less burdensome.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I think that Option 1 sounds better for the quote. I think that the weekend is a great time to relax and to spend time with your family. If you have children who go to school, it is the only time when you get a full day to spend with them, so it is important that you make the most of it.
    Saturday is the best day in a week because it gives a lot of comfort to me. I enjoy this day a lot. :)
    I think weekends or at two days as a break are essential. I remember once working 12 days straight without a break and I was on my knees by the end of the fortnight.
  • blanvankablanvanka Posts: 84 Inactive
    I like all days in the week, but of course, weekend is the most favorite part :). For me, it is symbol of relaxation and rest. There is more space for doing of different activities. Personally, I prefer active form of the rest - trips to other towns or trips to the nature. After that I feel full of energy and ready for other working days.
    I agree with you @blanvanka. Getting away at the weekend leaves you far more refreshed and even if you come back home feeling physically tired, for me at least, I always came back mentally more rekaxed than if I'd stayed at home.
    Usually, I plan a lot for weekends but I don't act accordingly. The only reason is when I am at home, there are other people who also associate their plans with me especially shopping and outing. But, I try to enjoy my time even if I can't act according to my plans.
This discussion has been closed.