Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
March
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Story : Rich Man Poor Man

zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in Let's Practise and Learn

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Posts: 30,275 ✭✭✭✭
    Zakaria Can you post this video in any other format as youtube does not work here?:(
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, @bubbli .
    Thank you but what is it all about?
    I won't tell you , I uploaded it for you in this websire , to listen to it :smiley:
    OK surprise for us. Let me listen to it first then we will discuss further.:)
    OKAY, why don't you try to write it in your own style, you said you are focusing on you writing skills .
    Zakaria I am focusing on more than just writing a story.:) But it was good.
  • vhicathvhicath Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I feel sorry for the old man. He didn't get proper education that is why he was easily fooled and taken advantaged of. :(
    Yes he was angry multiple time in the story, but his son is the one to blame as a reader, but amazng the faher didn't blame his sun, but instead he thought about how his son send him the money he worked so hard to get, but the old man couldn't get it
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    Oh,this story made me very sad,poor old man.
  • DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a related poem which I read a week ago,

I hear leaves drinking rain;

I hear rich leaves on top

Giving the poor beneath

Drop after drop;

‘tis a sweet noise to hear

These green leaves drinking near.

And when the sun comes out,

After this rain shall stop,

A wondrous light will fill

Each dark, round drop;

I hope the sun shines bright;

It will be a lovely sight.

(W.H. Davies)
    "Like rain, I fell for you."
  • DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Some people will not understand the hidden meaning. So here's a little explanation of the poem:

"The poem is musical display of rain, a great phenomenon of nature. It has a symbolic meaning also. The leaves on the upper level get the rain drops first and quench their thirst. Afterwards they pass on the drops to the leaves at the level beneath. These lines may offer a metaphor as well; the rich at the upper level get a golden chance first and whatever remains, trickle down to the people at the level beneath. However, the scene of the sunshine afterwards, is lovely, and a source of pleasure to everyone of us. (The sunshine spreads equally to both the rich and poor)"
    "Like rain, I fell for you."
This discussion has been closed.