Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Where are you from?

Comments

• madhugmadhug Posts: 829 Inactive
    @bubbli The tradition of Haleem made firstly soaking wheat, barely and gram lentil overnight. A spicy meat gravy called Kroma is prepared until the meat become tender. The wheat barely and gram are boiled in salt water until they are tender.

The cooked wheat, barely and lentils are then mixed with meat. (Mutton and Chicken) gravy and blended heavy hand mixer to obtain a paste like consistency. The cooking processes takes about 6 hours to complete.

Haleem preparation various in different regions.

How do you prepare? :)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭
    I have tracked down a good Indian restaurant that I remember going to ten years ago. It's still here, though there are now a few more Indian restaurants in Nice. The only problem is that French people tend not to like spicy food much. Indian food invariably gets watered down and tastes very bland unless you insist that they don't be shy to use spice.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    @madhug Let me take you to the recipe corner where I shared my recipe of Haleem. :)
  • FerFer Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    I am from Iran . I haven't gone overseas but I hope I go.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    > @bubbli said:
    > Ulviyya a land of fires?

Yeap, this is kind of a slogan of our country.)) It is linked with the population (ancient azerbaijani people), which lived here for thousand of years before our era, and who were fireworshippers + because of the rich national resources like oil and gas.
    In Iran I visited Yadz @Ulviyya, where the Zoacastrians had temples with flames that burnt eternally. This is an ancient religion practiced in Azerbaijan too isn't it?

I think some of the most beautiful carpets come from your country too.
    @Ulviyya Quite interesting story. So, now what is the main religion of Azerbaijan?
  • ErlenthErlenth Posts: 6
    i'm from Poland too, Poznań. In middle- west of Poland.
    I like this fact, that this places is so diverse.
    @Xanthippe it's verry interesting what you are writting abot Cracow - I think understand everything, general sense is clear to me.
    It's my one of first post in english language, so please give mi advices :blush:
    greetings!
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Erlenth, this is carmen macaronicum by Kochanowski. It is a funny read if you understand some Latin. :)

Yes, I can give you a piece of advice - advice is uncountable so you can't write 'advices'. :)
  • gsmithgsmith Posts: 4
    Hi!

I am from Brazil. I was born in Minas Gerais and now I live in Bahia, Salvador.
    Welcome to the Forum @gsmith. @Helvio is also from Brazil.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 Inactive
    Hello my king! How are you @gsmith?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I am from Italy. I love Italian cuisine and climate but I hope that one day I'll be able to go to live in England. If my dream comes true, I'll be the happiest man in the world
    Welcome to the Forum @Bilbo99. Where in Italy are you from? @filauzio is from Milano and @Igor_Lovera from near Torino.

I'm half British but I'm very fed up at what the government has just done to the expat Brits. Grrrr.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Properly saying I'm from Genoa not from Milan, which is I've got seaside and beaches but just one flight a day to from London; that's a bit troublesome if you're planning your travel in Britain.
    Welcome @Bilbo99, I hope you're goals will be fulfilled.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    I had planned to visit Genoa too @filauzio, but the organiser had to cancel the trip. I believe there might be cheap flights from Nice. If so, I'll probably go some time in the autumn. I'm not sure if it's new, but there's a lot of promotional stuff flying around on the Marseille to Milan railway service that passes through Nice. I've only once been to Milan for a weekend, but I might just have to go again sometime!
  • YinYin Posts: 191 ✭✭
    I am from China Hong Kong where it is like place to visit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Nice to meet @mheredge and @filauzio . :) I live in a small town , Lanciano, which is in Abruzzi. :) Today it's very hot here! That's what I hate about Italy: summers are too long and with 30 degrees Celsius you feel like you're exhausted and knackered....
    @Bilbo99 I like Italy especially Venus and Rome. I have heard a lot about Italian cousin and hopefully we will know more about Italy.
  • sabaiasabaia Posts: 1
    i live in georgia kutaisi
    could you help me to learn english
    please help me
    @sabaia welcome to the forum. We will help each other here to learn English. So don't worry. Just participate on different sections of this forum and enjoy this ride. :)
    When in Nice, @mheredge, you could easily reach the Riviera by train. It's the coastal region which extends from Genoa both to the East and to the West. You could particularly enjoy visiting the so called Cinque Terre, which are a group of five villages ( Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, Riomaggiore ) located in southeast of Genoa, which are built upon the steep rocky coast, in front of a clear sea.
    It's absolutely a place where a swim is worthwhile, even in Autumn !!
    However I'm afraid it couldn't be the cheapest one, so as to be preferable for you to spend there just your one-day journey.
    It's also likely to be windy, so as to welcome @Bilbo99 too.
    I think you maybe meant Venice @bubbli ;) ?
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    This sounds perfect @filauzio. In the autumn I'll definitely be there.

I think Italy is maybe very slightly cheaper than France. But I doubt that there's much difference. Nice is supposed to be the most expensive along with Paris. But I guess I'll be getting a bit of a shock in ten days when I return to London.
    edited June 2015
    @filauzio yes. But Venus is not a bad word for Venice......especially if someone is in love with that place. ;)
    I think @mheredge, that when you travel either in France or in Italy or, even more, in Britain, you'd better go easy on expenditure. Wherever they catch you with allurement, you could hardly get off easy.
    Sometimes it seems like we all look like a millionaire who just works for love.

I agree @bubbli, whatever is that we are in love with, let's call it Venus, we couldn't call it Venice after all. It's done :)
  • souhaibsouhaib Posts: 42 Inactive
    I come from M'sila
    You're so right @filauzio, though the UK is the worst of the lot.
  • lilifowerlilifower Posts: 20 ✭✭
    i live in cairo
    @filauzio so you must have conveyed my message to city Mayer about changing the name from "Venice" to "Venus". ;)
    @lilifower welcome to the forum.

Cairo is a beautiful place as I have seen one documentary. It is culturally very enriched country with old Islamic heritage. How is your experience of this city? I think @aladdin is also from Cairo.