Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Where are you from?

Comments

• aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,749 mod
    edited June 2015
    @bubbli Crowded, Noise, Pollution and headache that is my experience
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes @bubbli, I think ' Venus ' it's a preferable name for such a lovely city. I think I'll submit this suggestion to the Mayer, or maybe the Mayor ? It definitely seems a game to interchange proper names one another... ahah just joking @bubbli :D .
    By the way do you think Venus might also be a good name for a woman ? I think so, and Saturn for a man as well... I'd like call myself Saturn. ;)
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    @aladdin Then I think you must go to the doctor. :)

The other side of the Cairo....?
    To put it shortly @aladdin :)
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    @filauzio what is happening here. Venice to Venus and now Mayor to Mayer. ;)

I have once kept this name as my nick in my university account. I think Venus is the goddess of love, right?

So you want to be called Saturn. Not a bad option if you are in love with Venice or the goddess. :)
    Thinking again @bubbli, I couldn't be up to such a goddess, let me be more down to earth, give Saturn what's Saturn's, however lovely names Saturn and Venus undoubtedly be.
    I could hardly be their shiny satellite ;)
    @filauzio being humble and down to earth, why don't you choose the name "Earth" ? ;)
    Do you believe in Greek mythology?
    Unfortunately, I haven't had enough classical courses when at school @bubbli, that has long been my regret, so I can't answer you. Since I have been taught in a more scientific way, I'd rather choose to be a earth-worm therefore, wandering all day long in my humus, trying to escape the blackbird's beak. Obviously being in love with my female Venus earth-worm. That's sufficiently down to earth, don't you think ? ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,838 ✭✭✭✭
    Earthworm @filauzio! You're the salt of the earth maybe.
    @filauzio your earthly thoughts forced me to forget about Venus and think about Earth especially Earthworm. What a jump from Venus to Earth and medium is a small worm. I can see your down to earth approach, hopefully this approach will not erupt any volcano and bring out some fireworks in the skyp. ;)
    But if you want to be earthy @filauzio, then that's something else again!

Be careful @bubbli. Italy is famous for its volcanoes.
    @mheredge Italy needs to be careful about some myths because these are not less than a volcano. ;)
    But don't you know @bubbli? Italian people have a wonderful reputation for their warmth? Latin people are usually a bit more fiery than cool northern Europeans.
    @mheredge yes I can guess it through Italian cuisine and music. :)
    If any volcanoes, on my falling down from the heavens, would erupt fireworks instead of lava, ashes and hot gases, I would be assured this is from some patron saint's feasts, @bubbli,@mheredge, which are so common in Italy in summer.
    However I'm usually not so eager to attend these sorts of noisy shows, which make the average Italian so glad. I can see the very latin, fiery young lovers, sitting on the sea-rocks, hand in hand, trusting, looking at these colored lights which spread with joy as renewed stars, which fill the darkness, challenging each other to reach the most unbearable lies. The fireworks rather enlighten the night than you from false belief or superstition.
    I'd rather come in at the end of the show, walking in with silence's pace, together slowly taking back our seats. It better suits me, to search for the only brighty star, which stands still, reflecting its humble, simple true in the quietly moving silver sea.
    Better volcanoes than fireworks, they bring you back to earth without illusions. :)
    You are a poet @filauzio. Have I told you that before?

On the train to Turin a couple of days ago, an elderly man erupted into a real rage. All the Italian people sitting nearby looked rather embarrassef. I'm not sure what it was about, except I think he'd maybe had an argument earlier with his wife who was busily trying to look like she was nothing to do with him. An hour or so later when he was getting off the train, he was as cool as cucumber, a sweet old man who you'd never have thought could have lost his rag in such a vitriolic way an hour before.
    Mama mia! But this is what I love so much @filauzio. Within seconds, everything is good again and it's like Mount Versuvius has never erupted.

Do you ever lose your rag like this @filauzio?
    @filauzio I still could see the volcanic activities that go inside your mind. No matter, how calm are you but still you wish you enjoy the noisy shows being a part of that culture.:)
    I'm not from Southern Italy @mheredge, @bubbli, so it isn't natural to me to lose my rag in that theatrical way. I'm rather cool and tend to consider any bad situation with calm humour, sort of composure, keeping my shirt on, without eruptive behaviour.
    What best fit my nature is making bad impressions, sometimes.
    I mean sometimes I might appear as a sort of Mr. Bean with less malice and much more clumsiness.
    The only occasions when I lose my rag are when driving in the traffic.
    I remember once having loudly cursed at one's dangerous behaviour, when a motorist cut across in front of me.
    Usually these sort of quarrels last exactly the word's time, and each other recover their temper.
    Therefore I didn't mind at the driver when I stopped at the traffic light, but he had ease to long gaze at me .
    Unfortunately we were going in the same direction.
    At last he happened to be my chemistry's professor.
    And I was actually about to have my chemistry exam.
    I really hoped that the curtains fell on the stage, that I could sink in the deepest hole, but the show must go on, sigh.
    edited July 2015
    @filauzio being a calm person, you can win many hearts but your own heart remains restless. It is very natural to loose your rag, otherwise you will errupt like a volcano somtimes. But the only issue is how to channelize this behavior in an acceptable manner.
    I think @bubbli, that self-control should be your natural condition as an adult, no matter whether your heart remains restful or not. Your heart isn't supposed to remain restless as you should have all the means, by your personal experience to date, to look into your bad temper and find out what's wrong with it and with other people.
    I think this make the difference between just being an adult or a wise adult.
    I believe that it's just a miserable and ridiculous show, when an adult completely loose their self-control.
    Nevertheless, being a wise adult is extremely difficult, I'm aware of that.
    @filauzio we use a term in Psychology "channelize the behavior" that stands for what you have described above. Loosing control is natural as we have flow of emotions that need some channels to exude. Do you know why people pursue yoga or meditation? The only reason is they want some subtle channels to evacuate their disturbed emotions. A wise person has thousand ways to find it but an unwise pop abruptly.
    Sometimes, @bubbli , I happen to exalt my bad temper to something higher and evanescent, more often it turns out a mute bitter sadness or delusion, which leaves the counterpart in the quarrel, I'm absolutely aware of it, much more disappointed than me.
    I think I've got too many channels inside me where to channelize my temper.
    I suppose I should shut up a few of them, because they all lead to my stomach, which is innocent, after all.
    Your poor stomach @filauzio! It's my head that suffers most if I lose my temper. But maybe my head isn't so innocent (or the brain at least).
    @filauzio at lease you are aware of these channels. There are many who don't know consciously about their reactions. Sometimes, you will feel these psychosomatic feelings that may not exist longer but I agree with you there are some channels that need to be shut up especially when they mess up with your relationship to others or your daily life routine.
  • influenzaobdinfluenzaobd Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Well, I'm from the south of Italy so I can give my point of view :)
    What said by @filauzio sounds very curious to me. I mean, how can people argue and soon after recover their sweet temper? I think it is a dogs' feature!
    You have to know how things go in the south of Italy. Here people are really warm, and it is quite normal to shout. When two friends meet they embrace and sometimes they put up a fake fight. When more than two friends meet it's a mess. This happens to guys, but also to adult people.
    So, if there are two that are shouting and seem to argue...well, probably they are simply having an "animated" conversation about soccer or other not really important things. That's the reason why they seem to recover suddenly their sweet temper, because they were, how to say, "acting".
    I think it could seem strange to @mheredge , but I remember my relative's discussions when I was a child, when we reunited for Christmas. They really seemed to argue, there was a mess in the house, my uncles shouted as a brawl was about to start...but they were only discussing in their way, there was't any witchery when they recovered smiles.
    Obviously this occurs only among people that know very well each other :smile:
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Hello guys, Im from algeria in sidi bel abbes city.
    Welcome @influenzaobd, I'm also from Italy, Northern Italy. I really appreciated this account of how the things go in Southern Italy.
    You're right, people over there are very warm and tend to shout; it's just their nature, they're all a bit of actors, but isn't the world a stage after all ?
    You mention an occasion on which members of the same family gather together to celebrate Christmas time; this remembers me of a similar situation which occurred some times ago.
    In the flat directly beneath my parents', there met an ' enlarged ' family from the South.
    They spent great part of the day, from 25/12 to 02/01, living indoor, playing cards, tombola, or whatever it was; time by time hard voices raised, and suddenly someone shouted as if they were being murdered, soon after thunderous laughters followed.
    The whole building trembled together with my floor, during that unforgettable week.
    On 03/01, they finally went out, warmly greeting each other, completely recovered in their good temper, although being invariably a loud one.
    The building kept trembling longer, along with my old parents.

PS: my neighbors' cat, after one week, was given for definitely lost. It wasn't a witch's one, probably.
  • influenzaobdinfluenzaobd Posts: 16 ✭✭
    @filauzio I'm laughing a lot :D I've been living in Milano for 6 years, so I can realize the differences