Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Kids freedom.

I think we should give freedom to our kids... for instant in visualisation ‚ in sports‚ for indoor n outdoor games....because in my point of view time is the best learner than teachers & us..... they would learn in every step of life from her/his alot of mistakes and they wont forget in life again..... Time is the best learner for them..

Comments

• [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 132 Inactive
    edited March 2015
    @simali, I agree with you but I have only one reservation. Let them make mistakes to where can they make unrecoverable mistake. Secondly enable( or allow, what is more correct to say?) them to talk about their mistakes.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,015 mod
    I'm a bad mother, I think.
    I always wanted to keep the children from failing or doing wrong. :(
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    I think we should just teach children how to differentiate between good or bad and give them freedom to face the reality of life . Because you could not remain with your children all the time but if you bring up your children in a right way then he will refrain from evil deeds wherever he goes. Some people don't give freedom to their children and don't let them to face the difficulties of life , they think that their children would learn automatically without facing the problems but they are wrong you can't learn something unless you experience the reality. Wisdom don't come by eating almonds it comes through experience.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,702 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you @shah51272. I think some parents spoil their kids too much and are far too protective. Children need to take responsibility for their actions and learn how to solve their problems themselves.

I love your phrase: wisdom doesn't come by eating almonds, it comes through experience. I'll have to remember that one!
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Thanks @mheredge for liking the phrase.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    I think parents should give guide and educate them about rights and wrongs before giving any freedom. Its very important because parents have passed through a number of experiences that children have to face in their lives. Many actions of children are based on thrill, emotions, and instincts where they put their lives in danger many times. Parents' guidance to a limit is very important than raising empty slogans of freedom era and modern age etc.
  • monzermonzer Posts: 21 ✭✭
    @bubbli you are right
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,702 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd make terrible parent. I still believe in the Victorian motto: Children should be seen and not heard (or at least in moderation).
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I think that it is important to give children freedom whenever we can, but we also need to make sure that they stay safe. So, we should let them do as they please and watch from a distance, but always make sure that we are able to provide them with assistance whenever they need it, and advice when they are in situations that they have never been in before.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge how were you parents, authoritative or friendly?
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,966 mod
    simali wrote: »
    I think we should give freedom to our kids... for instant in visualisation ‚ in sports‚ for indoor n outdoor games....because in my point of view time is the best learner than teachers & us..... they would learn in every step of life from her/his alot of mistakes and they wont forget in life again..... Time is the best learner for them..

I agree with you @simali. On the flip side, I understood why my parents were very strict during my elementary and highschool days. Even if field trips are compulsory in our school, they still chose not to let me involved in those types of activities. Even going out with friends were prohibited. But now, I realize how important what they had done for my own benefit as well, to keep away from bad influences.
  • nain_khan1nain_khan1 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    is this site is really close?
This discussion has been closed.