Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Mathematics?

aprilapril ModeratorPosts: 11,025 mod
edited April 2015 in Science and nature
Could you resolve this question?
This is a math question for 14 year old student in Singapore.
I gave up and had to look at the answer. :)

How about you, @Xanthippe ?

Comments

• XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    I have to think, @April. I will put it off to tomorrow. :)

It is easy to eliminate May 19 and June 18. :)
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,025 mod
    Xanthippe said:

It is easy to eliminate May 19 and June 18. :)

Why? How?
    Albert knows the month while Bernard knows the day. Albert obviously heard what Bernard had said. 19 and 18 are the only numbers that don't repeat themselves. So if you know the day you know the month. If Bernard (knowing the day) doesn't know the birthday it means that the correct date is neither May 19 nor June 18.
    And you can eliminate June and May I think.
    And you came to that conclusion after having read it for the first time, @Xanthippe ?
    Wow, I thought I was good in maths when I was at school, now my illusion is shattered in a thousand pieces!
    I have one step more. Bernard knows that if Albert whose choice is restricted to July and August can't guess the birthday the date must be different from July 14 and 14 August.
    Well, I am stuck. :)
    edited April 2015
    If you take into account what Albert says in the end it will be July 16. He knows that Bernard knows the birthday and if Bernard knows the day and not the month there is only July left. There are two dates in August.

I think it is rather about logic (maths is based on logic of course).

@april They may know maths but they certainly don't know English well enough. :) This is our comfort. :)
    That sounds all so logic, @Xanthippe, but I would never find the solution by thinking logically. :(
    @Rudeboy, did you know the answer? :)
    @april, I don't think so. Wording is very weird and the situation is unnatural. I remember weird examples about situation logic. A banana was left on a tree and plucked by a monkey at the same time. Of course I screwed this up. It turned out that this was an example of a gap in this kind of logic (not enough tools to express such a situation). There was a strange hint 'banana has been intentionally left on a tree' but I ignored it on the grounds of its weirdness. :) :) :) :)
    @april, he didn't write why he disagreed. I can't deduce it in this case. Too little data. :) :) :) :)
    LOL, @Xanthippe .
    Elementary, Watson :) :) .
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    There's an elementary math test that is apparently causing adults headaches, as so many people 'don't do math.' Like reading and writing, being able to do at least basic mathematics must surely be essential to life?
    edited April 2015
    I fear, yes, @mheredge. Just imagine: I have been getting a lot of spam concerning the same idea. "Talented German mathematicians" are supposed to have invented a computer program dabbling in stock exchange with efficacy of 100%. Names of senders are different but the content is the same. They try to persuade you to invest some money and promise that you will be rich/buy a big house/earn more than your boss, etc
    100% ? I would recommend Keith Devlin's lecture about Pascal and the emergence of probability. :)
    I guess there will be people willing to lose their money in this silly way. :(
  • ManLearnerManLearner Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know it's answer @april , but i found it's solution, explained in a video on youtube.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    ufff I hate mathematics @april Whenever I seen maths I feel as if I am blind. I wish I could her the student.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    @Xanthippe is a genius so I am sure she will solve it but reconfirm the answer as Xan is learning Arabic these days and may be she would mix both Algebra and Arabic. :p

I don't know it's answer @april , but i found it's solution, explained in a video on youtube.

@Xanthippe had the right answer, didn't she @ManLearner ? :)
    @bubbli Many great mathematicians were Arabs. :)
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    And you @Xanthippe, what attracts you to that discipline?
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    Yes @April, she is right.
    I think it is logical reasoning
    @Zom It is closely connected to metaphysics. You can't understand Leibniz without calculus. :) Of course it is only one example.
    @Xanthippe. Of course. BTW, Could you say it again using different words? LOL
    I think I don't have a logical reasoning, I couldn't solve the question without help.
    Maybe I'm just tired of thinking. :)
    @Zom I guess you prefer something more poetic. :) Here you have it:

"Newton unlocking Truth's close-fasten'd Chest,
    Newton dear to the Muse, in whose pure Breast
    Phoebus is present, and whose Mind inspires
    With all of his divine, prophetic Fires.
    Sing him, ye Muses, for Right can approve,
    No Mortal nearer touch the Gods above."
    Whose breast is it, @Xanthippe? The muse? Naughty Newton.
    @Zom He, he, this was Muse's breast. And it wasn't Newton who was reposing there but Apollo. :)

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/a/apollo.html
    It's alll about familly matters in that text @Xanthippe. The kind of stuff you would hear on the grapevine. Are you found of such gossips? Maybe you even spread them.
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 Inactive
    edited April 2015
    @Xanthippe I think most of mathematicians were Iranian but they wrote their book in Arabic. :)