Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Why people threw cats from the belfry in the Middle Ages

2»

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,875 mod
    edited May 2015
    Who does @Lynne mean with "she"?
    The @cat or @mheredge ?
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,659 ✭✭✭✭
    MEow @april.

• SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    Any one believe in witches? :o
    Definitely @Saira. Watch out because I'm one!
    @mheredge ,hahahaaaaaaaaaaa good joke
    Haven't you seen me flying around on my broomstick with my black cat sitting behind me?
    @mheredge ,yes yes I saw, he he heeeeeeee :)
    I think this is why poor kitties get such bad press.
  • FerFer Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I have heard about this legend but I am not sure if it is true or not , In many years ago there was a cat in a church when a priest wanted to pray , the cat came and intruded the priest , so he threw the cat from the belfry . after some years , when the priest died , people didn't know about the reality so it became a legend that when they wanted to pray , they have to threw a cat from the belfry .
    Well I'm happy that the two churches in my road don't have any belfries. There is a cat cafe in the street though. I'm sure that they would take a very dim view of cats dropping in from the sky.
  • Fawez.css.dridiFawez.css.dridi Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I don't know what it is !
    I looked at the picture with the giant cat and the little kitties again and I must say that it is a nice picture. :)
    Unfortunately the cat cafe at the end of the street was closed today, as otherwise I was going to check out the kitties staying there.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge what is this cat cafe?
    It's a Japanese idea @bubbli. I went to one in Tokyo. There were 14 cats being looked after by a woman in the one I went to. You could go there and relax,, drink a cup of coffee and stroke a cat. It's very relaxing, at least for cat lovers. They've proved very popular in Japan but are starting up in other places too.
    @mheredge thanks. Interesting information and pretty new for me. There must be dog cafe as well. :)
    I'm sure there must be, but I'm not sure how relaxing this would be if yhe dogs all started barking @bubbli! I suppose cats are easier as they're smaller too.
    @mheredge barking dogs as background music. :)
    Where are my earplugs? I get this kind of music every night in Kathmandu. I'm happy to say I haven't heard a dog bark since I left there.
    My definition of 'room to swing a cat' is length of my arm+ length of cat from tip of the tail to its nose × pie R squared. In fact you'd probably need a room at least 3m sq if your cat isn't a kitten.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 904 Inactive

a cat in the Belfry

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/a-cat-in-the-belfry.html

• ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    "This is now stopped because they cats now land on their feet." LOL

It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.