Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Why people threw cats from the belfry in the Middle Ages

2»

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,780 mod
    edited May 2015
    Who does @Lynne mean with "she"?
    The @cat or @mheredge ?
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 38,226 ✭✭✭✭
    MEow @april.

• SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    Any one believe in witches? :o
    Definitely @Saira. Watch out because I'm one!
    @mheredge ,hahahaaaaaaaaaaa good joke
    Haven't you seen me flying around on my broomstick with my black cat sitting behind me?
    @mheredge ,yes yes I saw, he he heeeeeeee :)
    I think this is why poor kitties get such bad press.
  • FerFer Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I have heard about this legend but I am not sure if it is true or not , In many years ago there was a cat in a church when a priest wanted to pray , the cat came and intruded the priest , so he threw the cat from the belfry . after some years , when the priest died , people didn't know about the reality so it became a legend that when they wanted to pray , they have to threw a cat from the belfry .
    Well I'm happy that the two churches in my road don't have any belfries. There is a cat cafe in the street though. I'm sure that they would take a very dim view of cats dropping in from the sky.
  • Fawez.css.dridiFawez.css.dridi Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I don't know what it is !
    I looked at the picture with the giant cat and the little kitties again and I must say that it is a nice picture. :)
    Unfortunately the cat cafe at the end of the street was closed today, as otherwise I was going to check out the kitties staying there.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge what is this cat cafe?
    It's a Japanese idea @bubbli. I went to one in Tokyo. There were 14 cats being looked after by a woman in the one I went to. You could go there and relax,, drink a cup of coffee and stroke a cat. It's very relaxing, at least for cat lovers. They've proved very popular in Japan but are starting up in other places too.
    @mheredge thanks. Interesting information and pretty new for me. There must be dog cafe as well. :)
    I'm sure there must be, but I'm not sure how relaxing this would be if yhe dogs all started barking @bubbli! I suppose cats are easier as they're smaller too.
    @mheredge barking dogs as background music. :)
    Where are my earplugs? I get this kind of music every night in Kathmandu. I'm happy to say I haven't heard a dog bark since I left there.
    My definition of 'room to swing a cat' is length of my arm+ length of cat from tip of the tail to its nose × pie R squared. In fact you'd probably need a room at least 3m sq if your cat isn't a kitten.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 904 Inactive

a cat in the Belfry

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/a-cat-in-the-belfry.html

• ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    "This is now stopped because they cats now land on their feet." LOL

It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.