Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Learn English in March

What is the better way to watch a movie?

I used to watching English movies with English subtitles. Is it better way for improving our English or if i watch movies without subtitles, is it good?

Best Answers

Answers

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 42,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Subtitles are fine as long as you don't rely on them too much and forget to listen. And of course, you need to be sure that the subtitles are good and accurate. I've seen some very amusing Chinglish subtitles on pirated DVDs. In one case I was convinced that the subtitles related to a completely different film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17 ✭✭
    @mheredge @monika2014 @gll thanx friends. your comments are very helpful :)
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    I like to watch movie with surround sound system and on comfortable sofa.I can't enjoy movie if only with Subtitles because all the time I am reading so I like without it.
  • MonikMonik Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭
    @Saira I agree with you. I like to see a movie in comfortable place and with an excellent sound system.. Today I was seeing a movie with subtitles and I have to turned them off because my mind try to read all the time
  • dimaadimaa Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Hello , I need to watch a movie with subtitles to improve my language so anyone know how i get a movie with subtitles on YouTube.
    Thanks,
    I don't know about Youtube, but for films you download using torrent, then subtitles exist for most of them @dimaa.
  • dimaadimaa Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Thanks
    Somewhere I shared a link to a website that holds links to thousands of subtitles. I'm sure it is easy enough to find @dimaa. Let me know if you have any problems.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Can anyone name some good british movies to develope my accent?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17 ✭✭
    thanks all
    Try The King's Speech @parsaking. It's a very good British movie with Colin Firth playing lead role as the king who stuttered.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Thanks alot @mheredge
  • DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 5,394 mod
    It's 'a lot', not "alot" @parsking.
    "Like rain, I fell for you."
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    I think initially watch them with subtitle in order to make them understandable. Then, gradually start watching them without subtitle and try to concentrate on dialogues more than scenes.
  • reza.barreza.bar Posts: 4
    Watching movies with subtitles worked for me so good .It improved my listening and my vocabulary very much.
  • ScentScent Posts: 17 ✭✭
    In my case, if I watch it without subtitles, I can focus on listening, but it is not helpful in learning new words.
    On the other hand, if I watch it with subtitles, I can learn new vacabularies and expressions (I mean I can learn a way how to express in English), but it doesn't help with improving listening skill because I cannot focus on listening.
    To watch it with subtitles or without subtitles is always controversial to me.. :(
    So now I am trying to watch movies without subtitles and learn vocabularies from the other ways. :)
    @Saira I think both ways are good. It also depends on the complexity of the language and accents. And if they use a lot of slang. Sometimes I've watched American detective movies and I've really wished for subtitles in English as I've found the diction so difficult to understand!
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    100% agree,@mheredge,yes you are right.
  • ShonanShonan Posts: 36 Inactive
    @dimaa search keepsubs in internet and click the first result. In the web site paste your video URL in big text field and click "Download" then list of subtitle files will be appeared, click any of it to download.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I think without subtitles it is more useful as without subtitles we would be able to improve our English listening and when our listening would be improved we would be able to catch new words and new phrases...
  • zoelin88 - Inactivezoelin88 - Inactive Posts: 20 Inactive
    I use to turn on the subtitles when i watch movies, cuz i got a few vocabulary~ ><
  • JandarkJandark Posts: 65 ✭✭
    The best way to watch a movie for me is on computer .I can stop it or replay some places if I couldn't understand some phrases .And some more important things there are no sound nor 3D effects .
    There's nothing wrong with subtitles @zoelin88. Try to make a note of new words when you hear them. This can help you to remember them later.

It's a good idea playing and replaying movies on your computer @Jandark. I know students of English who have learned a huge amount of English just by doing this.
  • j.norouziniaj.norouzinia Posts: 10
    I have an unusual experience in this issue. Sometime I use subtitle in my first language not english. when I hear the voice and see the translation, my mind try to find the english word, it helped me to remember english words that I forgot. I know it seems strange but it works for me.
    When your listening is not bad, i think Watching without subtitle is better because it forces you to understand more words and improve your listening.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51 ✭✭
    whenever II watch english movie so II do watch with english subtitle which is the finest way to your english and enhance your speaking ability
  • LoisLois Posts: 20 ✭✭
    OK. After reviewing so many comments, I am not bothered about the subtitles under the movie. I hope it will work to my listening when I insist after 21 days
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    In my opinion, watching an English movie with its English Subtitles is one of the most perfect way to learn English with, because It provides everything we hear in a written version that we can read
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    @dimaa try to put ( + CC) after the name of the movie on the search bar on youtube .... it may works, but you have to know that the most of movies on youtube are without subtitles ... even those with an included subtitles need some review
This discussion has been closed.