Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Fast Food Controversies

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @mheredge 3 jars a day means 1080 jars a year. Enough to start a small shop by a lazy person. :)
  • dededede Posts: 61 Inactive
    OMG! it is very disgusting i don't like KFC at all :#
    @dede don't worry. They don't have more rats. :)
    are you sure @bubbli :)
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, @bubbli She is doing a great job. A lady with guts!
    I usually avoid eating beef and mutton so it doesn't make any difference to me.
    @dede hope so. Rats are also conscious about hygiene. ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if I've ever eaten in KFC. Deep fried chicken doesn't hold any appeal to me whatsoever. I'm with @meu too when it comes to meat that I don't eat much of. And the only pork I eat is bacon or pork in sausages.
    lol @bubbli :smiley:
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    That's why I'm not eating at outside..Only home made food..:)
    edited September 2015
    @Sasha what if a cockroach is running in your kitchen while you are cooking. ;)
    I'd be very upset @bubbli. Roaches aren't my favourite house mates.
    @mheredge To be very honest, no one can get rid of roaches. They live in kitchen area and I don't think there is a permanent solution to it.
    @mheredge I am not a fan of meat and bacon is forbidden so the only option left for me is chicken. It is actually a large portion of my diet but mostly home-made.

I think KFC has always these kind of controversies and to be honest I feel some of them would be true as well. But do you think it would make any difference? :s
    @bubbli
    @bubbli Cockroaches are very tough guys. They are one of the oldest insects on earth.
    @meu Who knows what happens in the kitchen of these fast food chains. We see the final product. :)
    I like the idea of home-made chicken @meu (though I know what you mean). You mean that your chicken dishes are made at home and don't come from fast food places.

Though I'm not sure how easy it would be to make a chicken. I mean a model might be possible, but a live one?
    edited September 2015
    @mheredge hahahaha OMG I didn't realize :D Actually, it goes like,
    "mum what's in dinner?"
    "home-made chicken"
    :D

or it could be a "desi" chicken as well (one that is fed and kept in homes)

or once my Biology teacher said that if you put an egg in your armpit for 21 days then ultimately a chick would be hatched :D

or it could be this

so many home-made Chicken recipes :D :D
    @bubbli yeah nobody would remember this after sometime and everyone would be enjoying it like it's best they can have. :smirk:
  • RomanRoman Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that due to the limited menu, local government laws and the lack of employee's need to cover the pitfalls of his bosses, the kitchens in the fast food chains like KFC, McDonalds or Burger King are cleaner than in neighbours restaurants.

Anyways, a homemade meal is preferable and one can really enjoy doing it.
    @Roman We have recently seen this revolution in Pakistan where food inspectors just raid the restaurants/hotels, or bakeries and on spot seal the area if they found any hygiene issues.
    I love your kitty-chick @meu. Not sure who kitty is trying to kid though, but so cute.

There's a really good bagel place where I've been hanging out. I suppose this could be called fast food, but it's really healthy and delicious. Not all fast food is bad.
  • RomanRoman Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    @Bubbli, Why is it a revolution?
    @Roman Long story. But, after many years our food department finally awoke and started checking the quality and hygiene of food.
    UK is described as a takeaway nation. Mintel found 23% of adults order a takeaway once a week or more, and 33% order one at least every month.

They also asked if people would pay more for a takeaway meal cooked from scratch, from good ingredients, and found 16% would (rising to 21% of high earners).

This is an interesting article on posh take-aways.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/sep/13/britains-takeaway-revolution?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    There are some very scary stories about fast food. One of the restaurants in my country was closed down for serving cat, which is absolutely not allowed over here at all. It is worrying, because I feel as though we should be aware of what we're eating, but all too often these days that doesn't seem to be the case.
    edited September 2015
    Recently, many bakeries got closed because they are not using halal ingedients in baked items. I am surprised how food industry would maintain a certain level of quality in future where more food items are adding up to the cuisines.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I saw a documentary on the television about halal, and found that some fast food outlets were claiming to be halal when they weren't. So they were closed down, and rightly so in my opinion. I think that it is important for people to know what they're eating, and in this case it just didn't happen at all.
    @GemmaRowlands I am happy with the current actions of food authority. At least, now we will be able to eat halal food according to HCCP standards.
    Popular Fast Food Chains Get Failing Grades For Antibiotic Policies. Is there any propaganda against these chains or they are seriously facing these challenges?

http://www.ischoolguide.com/articles/25759/20150916/fast-food-antibiotics.htm
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,161 mod
    edited September 2015
    I'll always remember the pink slime scandal Jamie Oliver exposed. There's a good reason that I don't eat burgers. On a personal note, I don't think fast food needs to be disgusting and unhealthy, as long as we don't insist that it's cheap.