Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Why We All Don't Like the Sound of Our Own Voice?

RomanRoman Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
Have you ever heard a recording of your own voice and cringed with disgust? It turns out there's a very scientific reason behind that.

The gist of it is that it's all in the way your ear registers sound. The ear is made up of the outer ear (the part that is seen), the middle ear (which "amplifies and transfers sound") and the inner ear (which sends the noise to the brain.) So when you hear something, it travels through the outer, middle, and inner.

Air-conducted noise is anything that comes from the outside, like a recording of your voice in this case. Bone-conducted sound is basically the voice you hear when you have conversations with yourself in your head.

"When someone listens to a recording of their voice speaking, the bone-conducted pathway that they consider part of their 'normal' voice is eliminated, and they hear only the air-conducted component in unfamiliar isolation—what everybody else actually hears-"

The unfamiliar isolation of your recorded voice floating in the air seems to lack a certain normal and comforting quality to you. When you’ve been listening to yourself talk your entire life, throughout childhood, adolescence, those awkward teenage years far past puberty and into your adult life, it can be unsettling hearing a voice that’s supposed to be you but is missing the deeper tones that have become a comfort.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,680 ✭✭✭✭
    This is really interesting @Roman. I know that when I hear myself speak, I can hardly recognise it's me!
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, you might like @aladdin's input about it.
    Why We Hate Hearing Our Own Voice? at http://www.learn-english-forum.org/discussion/comment/72017
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • RomanRoman Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    Are all the good themes taken???? Please, don´t say me that the Chuck Norris jokes are done too: ttp://www.learn-english-forum.org/discussion/2626/chuck-norris-facts
  • Bilal.Bilal. Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about others but I like my voice. :D
  • JandarkJandark Posts: 65 ✭✭
    It was interesting to read .And so it is most people don't like their voice and it can be unrecognizable .As radio DJ-s say :You never give a headset to a non experienced radio guest ,after first sentence they will be scared of their sound of voice .
  • christellechristelle Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like listening to me ...
  • makeFinmakeFin Posts: 157 Inactive
    I have the same opinion, I know many people how do not like their own voice, I belong to the same group.
    My voice in my head is calm and bass, but when I listen a recording of my voice I find it unsettling.
  • Rei099Rei099 Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    yeah, i thought my voice is really cool. But then when I heard my voice recording it sounds a little cute -__- But I love both almost equally haha
  • ViktorViktor Posts: 8
    Interesting, I'm too, was finding my voice annoying, but for now I'm not. Maybe it's associated with adulthood.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    This is really interesting to read. It is similar to the reason that we don't like photographs of ourselves, I think, because it is the opposite to what we see in the mirror, but it is what other people see when they speak to us. Plus, I think we're all too critical of ourselves, which is a shame.
    Simple experiment with our voice:

• kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,964 mod
    There are times where we appreciate our own voice...

Like in showers.. Am I right?? You know.. The echoes?? :)