Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Bangladesh tiger poacher vesus Zimbabwean Cecil poacher

Those two articles about Bangladesh tiger poachers and Cecil from Zimbabwe have a few similarities and more differences. They all were about vile poaching and how the governments are against the despicable poachers. Both the Bangladesh and Zimbabwean governments also realized who the poachers were. Those Bangladesh poachers violated the law through hunting tigers to get the tigers' pelts, which they sold and got money for. Unfortunately, the government had known whereabouts of them and killed them all when they should be in a jail. On the other hand, James Palmer killed Cecil, then beheaded him for sport, yet he is walking in the street free, and it outraged public.

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,275 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    deja vu. We have read about Cecil in Monday's Reading session. :) A lot of linked stories are coming up but I really feel sad about the brutal act of killing animals like this.
  • DeriocDerioc Posts: 95 ✭✭
    @bubbli many people stopped go to James Palmer's dentist clinic. Some one said that was bad, but I thought that is good. what you think?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,127 mod
    I didn't see the story about the Bangladeshi poachers @Derioc. Do you have a link to it?

Sadly it's too often the Chinese medicine market that fuels the demand for the body parts of this wonderful animal. But I think you know how much I love these cats @Derioc.
  • DeriocDerioc Posts: 95 ✭✭
    @mheredge bbc.com/news/world-asia-33842615
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,127 mod
    Thanks @Derioc. Those poor Sunderbans tigers have a tough enough existence without poachers making life worse. There is much less food there, as the mangrove jungle is tidal and when the tide is high, then they only have about a third of the territory above water in which to hunt. The pictures of the Sunderbans tigers I saw when I visited showed them as very lean and mean (they are famous as man-eaters).

Happily the number of tigers in Nepal seems to be increasing. Poaching seems to have decreased, but at the same time, there are reports of lots of babies being born, especially in Bardia National Park in the far west of Nepal.