Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Would you consider exercise a hobby or a sport?

2»

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    Yes it can make you feel fresh and ready to face the day ahead if you go for a walk in the morning, @bubbly I quite agree. I like to swim early in the morning when I can, and I think I will go out and do that tomorrow because I will be getting up early anyway.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands isn't swimming tough in this cold weather?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    I should be young for consider it as a sport, I like considering it as a hobby. I like keeping myself healthy. when I go to run I feel very well all day.
  • @Bubbly and @GemmaRowlands. Regardless of day time, walking and thinking is an excellent remedy for any problem. In my opinion something indispensable in the course of the week.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    @ggermanovix Yes. I agree with you. I am true believer of a morning walk and that is the only thing that makes me refreshed and active.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,966 mod
    It depends upon the options of an individual. Some may think yoga as a hobby rather than a sport. On the flip side, if a person think of a word like basketball, he can consider it as sports and as a hobn st the same time. :)
    I think if you enjoy it then it can certainly be both and hobby and a sport. I don't suppose we really have to choose just one option.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,966 mod
    Possibly. ;) @GemmaRowlands
  • NamanNaman Posts: 21 ✭✭
    The best drink in the morning to keep your metabolism rate high is you can have warm lime water with half spoon of honey in it.
    Yes that is true @Naman but for some reason I have never really been able to enjoy that type of drink quite so early in the morning.
  • Manar_ELSaeedManar_ELSaeed Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Iam trying to exercise daily to keep my myself healthy but i don't think it is considered as a hobby , it is just a sport and you have to do it for your body even though you don't enjoy it .

Iam trying to exercise daily to keep my myself healthy but i don't think it is considered as a hobby , it is just a sport and you have to do it for your body even though you don't enjoy it .

But I do think that if you find the right type of exercise for you, it can be something that you enjoy!
  • AndrewSotnikovAndrewSotnikov Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Most of my friends play in team-palayer games. Some of them have extra weight. They dont care about extra weight, they just play for enjoy a game and its main reason why they do it for.
    Last time, I cycling on my MTB. I am not fat too much (now my weight is 90 kg , i am 193 cm tall). This summer I had a intensive training and I lost about 4-5 kg of weight. It came naturally.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    When I exercise I don't see it as either sport nor a hobby. I just do it because it is a part of having a healthy lifestyle.
    mheredge said:

When I exercise I don't see it as either sport nor a hobby. I just do it because it is a part of having a healthy lifestyle.

Yes, that is the same for me a lot of the time. If I knew that I wouldn't put any weight on if I stopped exercising, I would probably not bother doing it at all!
  • GoranPolovinaGoranPolovina Posts: 9
    As a kid, I had a few hobbies and favorite games: football with buddies from the street, bicycling with friends, drawing and scale modeling.
    When I grew up, I lost football, bicycling stayed, but mostly in solo driving. Drawing became my profession (in fact, technical and architectural drawing) and from time to time I make some scale model (rarely, maybe one or two per year).
    I added gym, every morning I do exercises, about 15 minutes (also exercises for eyes), on Saturday and Sunday I do extended exercises (about 45-60 minutes). Too much sitting time in front of computer destroys health, so that’s my effort to alleviate the aggressive impact of the machine.
    @GoranPolovina you seem to have a good approach to exercise, especially having a job that is sedentary.

As a kid, I had a few hobbies and favorite games: football with buddies from the street, bicycling with friends, drawing and scale modeling.

When I grew up, I lost football, bicycling stayed, but mostly in solo driving. Drawing became my profession (in fact, technical and architectural drawing) and from time to time I make some scale model (rarely, maybe one or two per year).

I added gym, every morning I do exercises, about 15 minutes (also exercises for eyes), on Saturday and Sunday I do extended exercises (about 45-60 minutes). Too much sitting time in front of computer destroys health, so that’s my effort to alleviate the aggressive impact of the machine.

It sounds like you certainly do plenty of exercise! I am sure that you must be very fit and healthy as a result of this.
    I think these days I see exercise as neither a sport nor a hobby but an essential way of life.
    mheredge said:

I think these days I see exercise as neither a sport nor a hobby but an essential way of life.

That's good I think. Once you stop seeing it as a chore or something you need to find time for, it becomes easier.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 3,077 mod
    As more and more of us move away from physical jobs, eg farming, factory work, building etc to more sedentary ones, exercise becomes more and more important. Says she sitting in front of her computer......!
    Today I feel like I have done quite a lot of exercise. Even if the distance didn't seem much (8 kilometres), it was all uphill or up and down stairs.
    Today I feel like I have done quite a lot of exercise. Even if the distance didn't seem much (8 kilometres), it was all uphill or up and down stairs.

As more and more of us move away from physical jobs, eg farming, factory work, building etc to more sedentary ones, exercise becomes more and more important. Says she sitting in front of her computer......!

I agree. I work on my computer and sometimes I hardly move at all for the whole day, so I need to do more exercise.
    I'm so looking forward to going trekking with a very good friend of mine. We have spent a happy few hours chatting about what we need to take with us. We're going for a couple of weeks and will be walking around 7 -8 hours a day, so should get a fair amount of exercise.
    mheredge said:

I'm so looking forward to going trekking with a very good friend of mine. We have spent a happy few hours chatting about what we need to take with us. We're going for a couple of weeks and will be walking around 7 -8 hours a day, so should get a fair amount of exercise.

That is a lot of walking, I am sure that will be amazing exercise for you. I hope that you enjoy your trek, it will be great to spend that much time with your friend, too.
    It was a fabulous trek, in one of the most beautiful valleys I have come across @GemmaRowlands. A highlight for me was to spend a night at a small monastery.