Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
March
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Housework

Comments

• amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,932 mod
    Haha! I read it the wrong way round! :P
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,851 mod
    I wish no one had posted here. It just reminds me I have still got a pile of ironing to do.
  • BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭
    To tell the truth I envy all of you. Sometimes I feel the urgent need to assert myself as a self-sufficient person as I was before marriage ... But that woman! Don't let me touch anything! :(( Ironing, laundry ... I can only dream about that! Fortunately, she is affraid of hammer and drill, so I am still a man and we allways build something :))
    @Bobmendez - Don't tell my husband. If you like I'll send you my pile of ironing.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    hm...
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,687 mod
    Hehehe. When I was throwing out things, the iron was one of the first things to go. I am proud to say that I am ironless and don't EVER do any ironing.

Maybe it's the cotton, but things don't seem to get very rumpled. Perhaps drip drying on the washing line helps. I don't think it's because I have become a total barbarian and don't notice the creases any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    Ironing, washing the dishes, cleaning the table, and cleaning my room. I hate them all and I do them by force. Some times me and my mother have argument about the housework that I should do.
    I was fairly good when my mother told me to do the housework @nit. But I think it's her fault that I hate ironing so much as she always used to get me to do it on Sunday evenings. I used to think it was such a waste of time ironing pillow cases and my father's Y-fronts. =))
  • SaraSara Posts: 293 ✭✭✭
    I hate to do the dishes but have to do at the weekends. My favorite household work is to paint the walls in different colors. since I love the orange color family, it usually reflects from the theme. But I used light yellow this time around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    @mheredge I am good too when my mother tells me to do some thing. I just nag a little. But when my brother tells me, I start a fight in the house. Because I hate some one tells me to do some thing.
  • science24science24 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are so lucky @Bobmendez , I really envy you, I like your situation and I hope she will do everything and let me free of all those boring housework.
    If you nag @nil, you are telling someone to do something (maybe your mother nags you to do the ironing). But maybe you answer back a little.

We need to take a leaf out of @Hermine's book. She just gets on with it, rolls her sleeves up and I do believe gets job satisfaction from doing her housework. :-)
    I am female.

fe = iron
    male = man

I am iron man!
    Good training! Every man should do the course.
    My husband likes helping me a lot in the houshold chore, but I haver never ever seen him ironing.
    He has sense @Hermine.

I think my sister's husband does his own ironing. My sister has him very well house trained.
    @Marianne - she did a great job. You will have to train him right after the wedding, I missed it.
    Oh my sister trained him for twelve years BEFORE she eventually agreed to marry him. She had him on approval first!
    edited February 2014
    I am impressed. I cannot turn back time. But as long as I am allowed to get a slip from his beer I am pleased.
    That's the least he can offer you @Hermine.
    edited February 2014
    I cannot drink a bottle of beer I would fall down under the table and snorning. So it is a good think in our partnership that he is the king of the beer crate. Don`t unerstand me wrongly I have access to the bottles.
    I used to be able to drink most people under the table @Hermine. I once was with a couple of young guys and my Uzbek friend, a professor of languages. We were drinking vodka, neat (as one does wiyh Russian-Uzbeks). I remember being bemused to see my two young friends slowly slide under the table. Anver and I had to laugh. Poor boys had a terrible hangover the next morning.

Now one glass of beer is more of my limit and I have to force myself to finish one of those big 600ml bottles.
    Marianne - do you have any genes from Russian ancestors? They are well know to be restistand of Uzbeks and other strong boozes.
    Hic, I dunno war yer mean @Hermine....Hic

Maybe it's the French genes!
    We don't have a dishwasher, but we use a drainer and let nature do the hard work. That said, sometimes (only sometimes mind you) dry the glasses, it keeps them nice and shiny.
    Where the water isn't that clean, in fact it's more unhygienic to wipe the dishes. If you leave the dishes to dry naturally, then they will be a lot cleaner. However, they need to dry to be okay.
    My mother-in-law used to dry her dishes naturally. After dinner she washed them up and left them on/in the drainer until the next morning, then she just had to store them away.
    Sensible woman, your mother-in-law, @Hermine. Saves a lot of work to leave them to dry.