Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

New members - Introductions

Comments

• juancarlos_lopezjuancarlos_lopez Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Hello, I'm Spanish and I live in a village near Madrid. In addition, I am the typical English language student with more than thirty years trying to learn a language that always resists me when I have to speak it and do it fluently.
    Taking advantage of the fact that I had not worked for three months, I decided to give it another chance, starting to see and listen to numerous materials that are on the Internet, especially videos of teachers from different countries. These materials have impressed me pleasantly and of course have allowed me to improve a lot in grammar and phonetics. But I lacked the part of acquiring fluency and eliminating fears and for that I needed a platform like this.
    I have just entered and I already have good feelings, especially when I see the variety of nationalities and cultures that serve as an incentive precisely to approach other ways of thinking. I am the kind of person who sees life as lifelong learning.
    So I just have to thank whoever is responsible for the existence of this space. I will try to make the most of it
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 22,531 mod
    Welcome on the forum @juancarlos_lopez and you are right this forum is fantastic, your English becomes much better and next to that you will learn so many other things because dthe participants are from around the whole world with different cultures and different thoughts.
    If you particpate in the discussions you will meet diverse people. I hope to meet you soon in a discussion!
    I am from Belgium and I like Spain, I visited many times Madrid and environment and I like Toledo very much.
    Thank you very much @Paulette . I will always participate in the debates according to my possibilities and the time available. It is clear that without participation there is no progress.
    Spain is a country full of beautiful places. Toledo is one of them. A few weeks ago I was there. I stayed in the so-called castle of San Servando. Located outside the walls of Toledo, the castle has breathtaking views of the city, especially with the backlight of the sun at sunset.
    @juancarlos_lopez San Servando was originally a monastry with a beautiful basilica. I thought it was a king that gave it at the Knights Templar. When I visited it there was also said that there were ghosts in it.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,081 mod
    "... without participation there is no progress" I like that. :smile:
    @Paulette following what you say, San Servando was originally built in 1088 by order of King Alfonso VI, initially as a monastery. It suffered numerous attacks that destroyed it. It took time until another king, Alfonso VIII, handed over the castle to the Templars so that they could rebuild it and serve as protection for the only entrance that existed at that time from Toledo over the river, I am referring to the beautiful bridge of Alcántara. The castle remained in the hands of the Templars until the disappearance of the military religious order in 1308.
    The fact is that your comment has led me to search the Internet for information on this order and the reason for its disappearance. A historically very interesting subject, since it was the result of a dispute between a pope (Boniface VIII) and a king (Philip IV of France) that ended the immense power and fortune that the order had.
    The truth is that the ghost of the legend did not appear during the night I spent in the castle. Thank God because I am one of those who begin to imagine and do not stop.
    My girlfriend and I love to check the legends of the places we visit, they say a lot about the history of the place and its people.
    @juancarlos_lopez I also like to discover the history of legends of old castles or monarchies.Such a places are always amazing for me.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. I joined the forum after a long break so consider me a new member. ;) I hope I will get a chance to know you more.

All the best!
  • DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 5,353 mod
    Welcome back @Bubbly. I'm glad you came (back). :)
    "Like rain, I fell for you."
    @Bubbly welcome back as a beautiful orange flower!
  • Lucasc4rzLucasc4rz Posts: 8
    Hy guys, my name is Lucas. i´m brazillian and i love english. My dream is live in Canada and for it i need learn english to do the test IELTLS.
    Welcome @Lucasc4rz nice to meet you on the forum. try to participate a lot in many discussions and your English becomes more fluent and the you IELTLS test become good.
  • Lucasc4rzLucasc4rz Posts: 8
    @Paulette Nice to meet too :smile: Thanks i´m going study the english with persistence
    Lucasc4rz said:

Hy guys, my name is Lucas. i´m brazillian and i love english. My dream is live in Canada and for it i need learn english to do the test IELTLS.

Hi @Lucasc4rz. Welcome to the Forum. Surely, you're at the right place. Like Paulette said, you need to get involved everywhere on the Network, be it writing things on the forum, or attending a voice session on Discord.

PS - There's a daily diary thread on the forum called: Your Diary on the LE Forum, in which you write and share stuffs about your daily routine, or how your day went and so on. I think that it'll be good if you write sth there, cuz in this way, you're giving your vocab a room to increase. And it'll help with your IELTS. :) If you're interested here's the link:
    https://learnenglish.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/294728#Comment_294728

I wish you success. :+1:
  • cattyfishcattyfish Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Hello everyone
    I'm An from India. I have been practicing english for 8 months. I'm an intermediate level in englsh. I love english that's why I started practicing. I want to be more fluent in english. I hope I'm in right place to achieve my goal. thanks
    Hello, @cattyfish welcome on the forum, if you participate in some discussions on the forum then your English will become more fluent and then you can also connect to the Discord group
    Thanks @Paulette I'm trying to focus on the activity that going on here.. Guide me if you can becasue I'm new here. Have no idea about this forum and trying to get familiar with it ..
    @cattyfish if you are using a laptop or a computer (maybe also on the smartphone and the tablet) you cen see above a blue line who starts with the words Learn English Forum. If you then clicks on the word "discussions" then you will see the list with the current discussions which are going on. Then you can choice one of them ( according to your interest) and then write something. Example the discussion " What makes you happy? " There is maybe a simple thing that you can make happy. I will write something in this discussion and mention you, then you get a mention of it.
    Hi @cattyfish. I can't see your comments. But anyways, welcome to the Network. :)
    @Paulette Thanks for the explanation. I will try to go through all ..
    @Dora thanks .. I hope you all can help me here as a newbie if i face any problem...
  • Marioma93Marioma93 Posts: 8
    Hi every one , my name is Mariam I am from Egypt and am try to learn English and be fluent for a long time but still can not so that’s why I am here
    @Marioma93 welcome on the forum where your English will become fluent if you participate in different discussion, you will see then it will be super.
    Hello @Marioma93. Saw you in Discord a while ago. Welcome to the Network. I like how determined you are to learn cuz I've seen people who give up too easily. All you need to learn is to be determined and involved. I'm sure you'll find this place useful and helpful if you explore more of it.

Please go for any queries or questions about the Network and it's working. Nice time! :smiley:
  • Marioma93Marioma93 Posts: 8
    Thanks guys for your supporting me and I hope everything is fine
    Marioma93 said:

Thanks guys for your supporting me and I hope everything is fine

Fingers crossed. :)
    @Marioma93 you're welcome
    Hi @MohamedAmin. Here is where people introduce themselves. Would you like to give it a go?
  • MohamedAminMohamedAmin Posts: 3
    Good afternoon everyone, my name is Mohamed living in Egypt and i am 26 years old, i hope that my English level will be upgraded day by day to the level that i would like to reach
    Hello @MohamedAmin welcome on the forum where you now can start your discussions, I am waiting, to read something of you soon.