Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 14 December 2015 - Lessons on surviving a drought

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,057 Teacher
The article we read today looked at what Australia can teach California about surviving a long drought:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/what-can-australia-teach-california-about-drought-180957365/?no-ist

There were 5 main areas (we will read about the last 3 in the next session!):
- drinking saltwater
- recycling wastewater
- reusing water
- green infrastructure
- changing behaviours

Vocabulary:

dwindle - to gradually become smaller

anthropocene - relating to or denoting the current geological age, viewed as the period during which human activity has been been the dominant influence on climate and the environment.

Down Under - another name for Australia (because it is ´down under´ most other countries!)

precipitation - water that falls to the ground as rain, snow; technically the process of separating a solid substance from a liquid

cluttered - to fill or cover something with many things

parched - very dry especially because of hot weather and no rain (also can mean very thirsty)

slated - to arrange or plan for something to happen, or someone to be chosen

brine - a mixture of salty water used especially to preserve or add flavor to food

desalination - o remove salt from something, such as water

online - in or into operation or existence (in this context)

runoff - water from rain or snow that flows over the surface of the ground into streams

aquifers - a layer of rock or sand underground that can absorb and hold water

Does your country have problems with water? What methods do they use to preserve or create drinkable water?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,868 mod
    There is always a problem with water, at least we always complain. :)
    One moment, we don't have enough water and we are supposed to take it easy with water consumption and the other moment it rains for days so we've got too much water and we don't know what to do with all of this water. :)

For drinkable water, we have two sources.
    We have springwater, SPA is our famous water source, and we recycle wastewater too.
    We could drink the second one without cooking it first! Just don't think where it is recycled from. :)
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh you know @April, when we go through a serious case of drought, and everything around us would be very parched even ourselves, then we will drink the wastewater without even recycling same like thirsty lost people in movies.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,057 Teacher
    Vocabulary from today:

mulch - a material such as straw, leaves, or small pieces of wood that is spread over the ground in a garden to protect the plants from weeds or water evaporation

big no-no - something that should not be done, that is considered unacceptable or a bad idea, or is forbidden

embrace - to happily accept or support an idea or opinion, or somebody

marginal - not very important, very slight or small

It also looks like air is becoming as precious as water... @Elle told us about people in China who are buying bottled air from Canada because of the air pollution! You can read more about it here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/12051354/Chinese-buy-up-bottles-of-fresh-air-from-Canada.html
  • ElleElle Posts: 508 Inactive
    @NatashaT thank you for today's session. It was good as always.
    Today's topic gave me a moment to think about how important natural resources are, such as water, air, woods, etc.. We are absolutely not able to live without it, but most people are unconscious that how close we live with. People think that natural resources would be there forever like it used to be. It's not. I hope we have a little moments to look back how our behaviour were like, and be aware of to save them as much as we could. ;)
    Thank you everyone!
    @Nadia0012 @april @Bob @Elvin @monik2014

P.S: I couldn't find the rest names of you who attended in the session today in the forum.. :(
    Please leave your names used in forum, then I'll tag you next time. ;)
    If we have "a big no-no", do we also have "a big yes-yes"?

Desalination seems to be used in more countries.
    In Malta they use this process too.
    They are surrounded by sea, but they barely have natural water sources.

By the way, do we say "water sources" or "water resources", @NatashaT ?
    Thanks.
    Unfortunately there´s no ´big yes-yes´ :p But we do say ´a big yes´...

@april , we say both - they mean slightly different things. A water source is a place the water comes from (e.g. a spring, a river, the ocean, for example) and water resources refers to the water that we can use (e.g. water held in dams or reservoirs).

@Elle , if you want to tag Nadia, it´s better to tag @Just-Learn ;) It took me a while to work that out!!
    @april A big yes-yes sounds so cute and positive. Lol i like it.

@NatashaT thank you so much for the information. It could have taken so long time for me to figure out as well. You saved my time a lot. ;)
    @Just-Learn Is it you, Nadia? ;p
    I think it's a bit science fiction that bottle of air like the one this guy has in his hand.

As soon as you open the bottle it will fly away and mix in the dirty air!

There goes your "air" and your money! :)
    Yes, @Elle, It's me!

Thank you @NatashaT for your support! and sorry for confusing you guys ;)
    @april lol I know. It's so hilarious!
    @Just-Learn its YOU! ;) I've been curious about who 'Just Learn' is.. ;p did you make the logo by yourself? It's cool.
    LOL Yes @Elle, thank you!
    @april and @Elle - I heard that there is a red alert again in China because of the air pollution!
    Really, @NatashaT ? In Beijing only?

Where is my bottle!?

Sorry, I shouldn't make a joke about it.
    Poor people there.
    @NatashaT oh no.... What a sad news... ;( too many factories due to develop their country I guess... The thing is that Korea is located so close to China... ;( Im worry about ppl in Korea too.
    @april I think it´s just in Beijing - I only saw the end of the story about it on the news. It sounds really dangerous to your health to live there right now!

@Elle yes, Korea is very close... I think they have had problems before with pollution travelling from China in big clouds, right? Or am I getting confused with something else?
    Another disaster in Southern China two days ago; a mudslide.
    91 people are missing.
    @NatashaT yes, it is. Especially every Spring in Korea, there is really bad yellow dust issue ppl struggle because it comes from some deserts in China.
    Even worse thing is that not only yellow dust problem, but also fine dust and ultrafine dust problems occurred as time goes by.
    Media says that ultrafine dust stays in our bodies. It's almost impossible to make it come out of the body because it stuck and stick onto our organs or lungs... ;(
This discussion has been closed.