Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Words that have changed meaning since the Internet began

This article shows a list of words with new meanings for their use on the internet as compared to their original meaning

independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/24-words-that-mean-totally-different-things-now-than-they-did-before-the-internet-a6784716.html

Comments

• TufiTufi Posts: 23 ✭✭
    yes this true, send these words have been used in the daily language now
  • TufiTufi Posts: 23 ✭✭
    the old generation may face difficulty understanding these world as it is used by young people
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this is why French people now seem more interested in learning English @pryfllwyd? Twenty years ago I had to learn a whole new vocabulary when I was working in Paris. But then again most of these words in the article are new to me! I'm not a Twitter user.
  • pryfllwydpryfllwyd Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭
    These days I seem to spend a lot of time listening to French people massacre English @mheredge - I guess they probably see it as revenge for a 1000 years of History

amazon.co.uk/Years-Annoying-French-Stephen-Clarke/dp/0552779938

This is a good holiday read - some examples:

1. Did the French invade England in 1066 (as they think) - no - it was the Normans - William the Conqueror was in fact killed in a battle against the French
    2. Did the French invent the guillotine - no, that was a Yorkshireman
    3. Did the British kill Joan of Arc ? - no, that was the French

and so on
  • ElvinElvin Posts: 454 ✭✭✭
    @pryfllwyd, thank you for sharing this article! I learnt some interesting and useful words.
    BTW, you've an excellent forum-name ;) I wonder how it is pronounced :D
    Sorry but I have to disagree on the last point @pryfllwyd. Jeanne d'Arc was most definitely killed by the rostbiffs.

The Normans were in fact Norsemen really. And England got its revenge in the medieval ages and then at Waterloo.

All the same, I still think the the sound of English people massacring the French language is infinitely worse than the French doing the same to English!
    OK @mheredge I concede that I oversimplified - Joan of Arc was captured by the French, sold to the British for 10000 Francs and tried and found guilty by a court of equal numbers of French and English clergy. The chief prosecutor was called Jean d'Estivet - doubt he was English. So, yes we put the torch on the bonfire - but only because the court found her guilty. The point that the book makes is that the modern French version of Jeanne d'Arc is historically inaccurate revisionism - this is just a statement of fact not a claim of superiority for the English.
    Hahahaha @pryfllwyd! It explains a lot about why the French and British love to hate each other. At least there's no controversy about Waterloo. The French lost but still haven't forgiven the British.
    That is so typically French @mheredge - they lose a battle to the British and the Prussians and we get all the blame. Did you say there is no controversy ...
    But what I find alarming @pryfllwyd, is that the French are starting to learn English! At least down in the Cote d'Azur they are.
    I'm sure they can all speak English - they just don't like to admit it :D
    Youngsters are fine @pryfllwyd but anyone middle-aged and above are as useless as the British speaking French.
    quoi ?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    There has been a huge change with regards to vocabulary since the invention of the internet, and I think this will continue to be the case! I am only young, and there are things that even I don't really understand anymore!
    Four youngsters (two Australians, a Dutch and a Norwegian) were chattering in English behind me in the jeep coming back to Kathmandu today. They were speaking fast 'teenage-speak' most of the time and I found it quite hard to follow them @GemmaRowlands.
This discussion has been closed.