Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Gravitational waves

science24science24 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭✭
congratulations to LIGO on the news that they have detected gravitational waves for the first time, 100 years after these waves were predicted by Albert Einstein. The signal of gravitational waves was recorded by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) in the US and analysed by an international group of scientists including CalTech, MIT.

nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nsf-s-ligo-has-detected-gravitational-waves

news.mit.edu/2016/ligo-first-detection-gravitational-waves-0211

Comments

• science24science24 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭✭

• dennis_sdennis_s Posts: 6
    I've seen a graph of the measurements somewhere and it's freaky how you can see the frequency of the signal increase due to the black holes rotating faster and faster around each other, followed by a sudden decline of the signal, presumably caused by the merging of the black holes.
    Also, i find it very astonishing how Einstein concluded the existence of gravitational waves just by theoretical consideration.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,157 mod
    It's like watching water go down a plug hole. :smile:
  • LaszloMarkLaszloMark Posts: 89 Inactive
    Yeah, this discovery could open a whole new era for science.
    I read a little about gravitation, but there is still some blind spot in my knowledge. Like, how the gravtion connected to gravitional waves? What if 2 gravitional waves encounter. Are they behave like waves on water? Or what happen if a gravitional waves meet the black holes gravity. And i just saw, that gravitional waves slower than the speed of light. Which means, that graviton has mass. But how this mass influence the galaxis, and their spiral arms?
    Is there any coherence between gravtion and dark matter or dark energy? I think i need go deeper to the rabbithole :)
    I bet that the discovery will get the 2016 Nobel prize of Physics, but who will get it (the last paper about that sits three pages of co-authors)
    Today is the pi day and Albert Einstein birthday.

Happy birthday Albert Einstein! your special gift this year would be the first direct detection of gravitational waves ;)

• David01David01 Posts: 5
    When this notice came out I saw the online presentation! I am currently studying engineering, but I was to change to physics last year (what didn't happened). I find this things quite astonishing, the way how nature works!
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,964 mod
    We now live in a universe that we know is humming with gravitational waves.
    http://news.discovery.com/space/weve-detected-gravitational-waves-so-what-160213.htm