Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Similar words

makimaki Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Words Words Words
Never mind they are similar in pronunciation or spelling, just write them down. But not similar in meanings (not synonimus).

Comments

• makimaki Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    Lynne worned us about pronunciation of words alley and ally. I always confuse this two words.
    Alley - /ˈæl.i/ - a ​narrow ​road or ​path between ​buildings
    Ally - /ˈæl.aɪ/ - a ​country that has ​agreed ​officially to give ​help and ​support to another one, ​especially during a ​war:

I think that was one more similar word, but I can't remeber. As I can remerber on session were @Rema , @Bubbly , @april ..... and teacher was @Lynne .
    dove - /dʌv/ - a ​white or ​grey ​bird, often used as a ​symbol of ​peace
    dough -/dəʊ/ - flour ​mixed with ​water and often ​yeast, ​fat, or ​sugar, so that it is ​ready for ​baking:

@Rema did you learne this?
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    @maki I was the one who did mistake by mispronouncing "alley". :) :)
    Thank you @Bubbly on your mistake couse I finally learned to pronunce this two words in right way after Lynne's corrections.
    Yes it was allay. Thank you.
    @maki don't worry. I will make mistakes so that you can remember them. ;)
    edited February 2016
    @Bubbly People say we should learn on other's mistakes. But I remeber things better when I make mistake unfortenately. :smiley:
  • RemaRema Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @maki I suppose that I have learned :/
    But that was funny and interesting situation, when I said that dough is synonym to pigeon @Lynne was laughing loud :D
    Marko
    Allay- diminish or put at rest (fear, suspicion, or worry) sounds to me similar with L.A.(acronym which stands for Los Angeles) :D
    Marko
    leap/liːp/- to make a ​large ​jump or ​sudden ​movement, usually from one ​place to another
    lip/lɪp/-one of the two ​soft, ​red ​edges of the ​mouth
    Marko
    This is little out of discussion, but what you think about this pronunciation:
    colonel/ˈkəːn(ə)l/- a rank of officer in the army and in the US air force, above a lieutenant colonel and below a brigadier or brigadier general.
    Marko
    sick/sɪk/adjective- affected by physical or mental illness.
    seek/siːk/verb- attempt to find (something).
    Marko
    weak/wiːk/adjective- lacking the power to perform physically demanding tasks; having little physical strength or energy.
    week/wiːk/noun- a period of seven days.
    Marko
    Plum/Plumb

Plum: is an adjective meaning desirable, and it also denotes the sweet, purplish fruit. The adjectival meaning originated as a figurative extension of the fruit.

Plumb: is a verb meaning (1) to determine the depth of, to probe, or (2) to work as a plumber; an adjective/adverb meaning (3) exactly vertical, (4) utterly, or (5) squarely; and a noun referring to (6) a weight on the end of a line, used to determine water depth.
    @rema Did you think that pronunciation of colonel is similar to canal /kəˈnæl/ - a ​long, ​thin ​stretch of ​water that is ​artificially made either for ​boats to ​travel along or for taking ​water from one ​area to another.
    @maki Frankly speaking, I think that they have different pronunciation, but maybe I got wrong conclusion :/
    Put them together and we will see what other participants think about that ;)
    Marko
    @Bubbly As @maki knows we have šljivovica(one sort of rakia- alcoholic drink) produced from plums.
    Rakia connecting and correcting people :D
    Marko
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,096 ✭✭✭✭
    Wind and wind (air that blows and turn the watch winder) sound different but look the same. But reed and read sound exactly the same, but are spelt differently.
    @Rema Yes they have different pronunciation. I was thinking to mention rakija (shnapps, brandy) when I saw plum in @Bubbly post. Traditional alcholic drink in balkans. @Rema Whose rakija is better and stronger, Croatian or Serbian? :)

But moonshine (generic term for distilled alcoholic beverages made from indigenous ingredients mostly come from home-made production which is often illegal or tightly regulated in many countries.) exsists around globe.

@Glorian do you produce samogon or pervach. :)

@Zom exept burning woods, do you produce illegaly Eau de vie, gnôle, goutte, lambic, fine or poire (Pear), prune (Plum), mirabelle (Mirabelle). :)

I suppose that @Lynne smuggles Schwarzgebrannter or abfindungsbrennerei from Germany to England from time to time. :)

It's interesting that for us in Balkans first association on word plum is rakija.
    edited March 2016
    @maki I'm not sure, but that can be good competition :D
    Marko
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @maki, France is great to produce all sorts of eaux de vie. I love Calvados and Cognac.
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    edited March 2016
    1. Desert means abandon: He deserted his wife and daughter and went back to England.

2. Dessert is the sweet course eaten at the end of a meal: A dessert of chocolate mousse.

This sounds differently but I have added it because dessert is usually mixed up with desert sometimes.
    3. Desert also mean area of land: The Indus Valley Desert is located in the northern area of Pakistan.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,096 ✭✭✭✭
    Deserts often get confused with desserts @Bubbli. It's a very common error made by British kids.
  • hazel27hazel27 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    It is a matter of emphasis, isn't it?
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,051 mod
    edited March 2016
    hazel27 said:

It is a matter of emphasis, isn't it?

It's a mixture of pronunciation and stress.
  • hazel27hazel27 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    @maki Some people have a problem with which is right and left side. It helps when they cross oneself (you always do it your right hand) - it's a little mnemonics for Catholics ;))
    I like your way to remember how to spell desert and dessert!
    edited March 2016
    Yes @hazel27 I am right-handed pearson. And it was the way I learnt which side is right. The side on which my hand I write with is positioned. Exelent example.
    @maki there is no need of Mnemonics here because it is all about pronunciation. I don't see that it is difficult to remember as we don't have many meanings of this word 'desert.' :)
This discussion has been closed.