Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Good TV series for improving your English

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,459 mod
    Apparently Dickensian is a drama series set within the fictional realms of Charles Dickens' novels bringing together some of his most famous characters and intertwining them in 19th century London. Sounds good. I'm going to have to try and download this.
  • peaceculture2peaceculture2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good @mheredge
    Currently I'm watching Merline series.
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lynne , I agree.Those series are amazing but there are some other series that I like to recommend them:
    1)Suits(American)
    2)Last man standing(American)
    3)Misfits(I didn't like it, but a lot of teachers told me that it is good)(British)
    I will find Misfits series, [email protected]
    I'm getting quite hooked on Trapped, even if it is mainly in Icelandic! But the subtitles are good and there are times when they speak in English too. Their English with an Icelandic accent is very easy to understand.
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,728 mod
  • miss_masamiss_masa Posts: 86 Inactive
    I don't like watching TV series very much. I think It's kind of time consuming....waiting for the next sessions and episodes to come, over and over again...and getting addicted to the story...the story gets longer and longer every time :)) well these things make me bored. I try to watch movies and animations instead. I watch 4 to 5 movies every week but I still have problem understanding the dialogues. I usually watch the movies with English subtitles because I can't understand them just talking :(
    Best is watch short programmes and ones that don't follow on in a serial. Comedies are usually much better for this @miss_masa. Thirty minute sound-bites!
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see that a third series of Line of Duty will aired from next month. This is an interesting and hard hitting drama about police corruption in the UK.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    I like Breaking Bad, I always learn new words watching this.
    @miss_masa you might like Dickensian. These are just 30 minute long episodes. The characters are all from Charles Dicken's stories and they speak very clearly.
    After merline series I'm going to watch Heroes Series @gomaa
  • miss_masamiss_masa Posts: 86 Inactive
    Thanks for your suggestion @mheredge. I'll add it to my watch list ;)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,119 mod
    I agree that Downton Abbey is a good one - because all of the characters in the show are well spoken, meaning that the English is quite easy to understand.
    @GemmaRowlands ,
    The thing that I like about Downton abbey is that there is a lot of different people with different accents.It the most important thing is that it is British <3 !!
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @peaceculture2 I'm crazy I'd like to watch merlin all the time this story speak about kingdom camlot and merlin service to save the king Arthur all the time but this kingdom kill anyone practice magic and merlin he have magic but no one can know that just the doctor to kingdom
    I think it is good to get a balance of accents, @navidafrasiabian. There are quite a few good American series for this too. I particularly like The Newsroom, as they were well-spoken here. There are even a couple of Brits in this series too. In fact most American series seem to have the odd British actor or actress, hiding in there somewhere!
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 30,275 ✭✭✭✭
    Watch Sherlock Holmes with subtitle. ;)
  • jsimancasfjsimancasf Posts: 87 ✭✭
    @aladdin I agree with you. "Lost" is really good. I saw it almost 4 month ago. The final is really good.

@Lynne "Heroes" was my favorite even though "reborn" is not so good.
    What's Lost about @jsimancasf? And Heroes? Are they American series?
    LOST released 2004 it's american series, I watched the whole series around 2013
    LOST display the Life of bare group of plane crash survivors find themselves stranded on a remote Pacific island. The trauma of the crash soon becomes overshadowed by the island itself, where unseen creatures stalk the jungle, paranormal happenings abound and astonishing coincidences reveal themselves. they strive to live together
  • jsimancasfjsimancasf Posts: 87 ✭✭
    @mheredge both of them are American series. "Lost" is about a group of people whose plane crashed in a mysterious island. They have to survive and discover many thing that happen around the island. "Heroes" is about people with special abilities. There's a villain who wants steal the power from others. He really plays a very good character (The best for me).
    They sound like interesting dramas @peaceculture2 and @jsimancasf.
    Absolutely @mheredge
    I downloaded Narcos and was interested to see it's set in Colombia, where I'm planning to go in June. However the file I downloaded was damaged and I'm having to try again as the soundtrack kept stopping. Though it's in English, I'm not sure I will understand all the Spanish used and there don't seem to be any subtitles.
    Do you watch series to improve your English, @anapereira ?!
    Try to download subtitles from internet @mheredge
  • FaridmadiFaridmadi Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    i watched many series with british accent among them Atlantis, Dracula, the black sails, the last kingdom and vikings which the latter seems to me nearer to Scottish
    for now, i'm watching vikings the season four :)