Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Good TV series for improving your English

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Posts: 30,275 ✭✭✭✭
    @navidafrasiabian thanks for sharing it. I am going to download it. :)
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

Hanna Montana
    So funny useful
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @gomaa ,
    I used to watched and it was really funny like you said.It is a teenage series and I think it is not interesting for me anymore.
    Do it, @Bubbly !!
    You won't regret!! I am sure!!
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @navidafrasiabian I watched that on the TV
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,948 mod
    @navidafrasiabian: Is that a movie? Will try to search for it this weekend. :)
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,944 mod
    edited March 2016
    Bubbly said:

Gotham got my full attention these days. I am enjoying it. :)

I am watching the current series, but I have to say it's gone too far into the Horror genre for my liking.

@Gomaa - I have never watched Hannah Montana. I think the merchandising put me off.

• TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,944 mod
    edited March 2016
    House of cards is brilliant.

There is a new TV documentary series by Ben Fogle. He visits people who have gone to live "off the grid". It's really interesting.

IMHO the worst series on TV at the moment is Gogglebox. They film people watching TV! It's a massive hit, which shows what I know.
    House of cards is an American series, @kindgnice and as @Lynne said it is brilliant !!!
    Thanks for the interesting information @navidafrasiabian and @Lynne :)
  • shasha96shasha96 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭
    where can i watch or download these series ? :(
    @shasha96: Will try to find the link of House of Cards, and I'll keep you posted, it really sounds interesting as suggested by @navidafrasiabian and @Lynne
  • shasha96shasha96 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭
    Oh okay!! Thank you for your help!! @kindgnice :)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,459 mod
    There's a comedy series called To the Manor Born @hazel27 that you might like to check out. Penelope Keith was also very good in The Good Life, another very amusing BBC comedy series about a couple who decide to go self-sufficient and grow all their food in their back garden in Surbiton, a genteel London suburb.
    @mheredge: Are these series viewable or downloadable via YouTube?
  • sanjeewa225sanjeewa225 Posts: 1
    Yes , agreed with you it really helps to learn and noticed their accents.
  • umerumer Posts: 2
    @Extra English is very funny and entertaining series for learning English for beginner.
    I haven't looked but I'm fairly sure you can find them on YouTube @kindgnice.

Penelope Keith in The Good Life is so typically English suburbia. Very stereotypical of middle class Thatcherite England.
    @mheredge: Thanks for sharing this mheredge. I will try to browse this via YouTube. :)
    I am watching Gotham these days. It is really interesting.
  • thegingerelvisthegingerelvis Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I've watched on BBC Two a documentary about The Brontë Sisters that was really inspiring and enriching in several ways.
    I have to say that I didn't knew anything about their lives, but It seems to me that living that kind of live and having that relationship between sisters is one of the major hallmarks that you can appreciate in their literature. For example, the death of their older sister, Maria, is quite similar to Helen Burns' death.
  • Hun_ViktorHun_Viktor Posts: 1
    Hy guys! I usually choose an old one movie, because the easy dialogs... :) It isn't difficult to understand, for example: Yesterday I saw the "Jurassic Park 2" (with an english subtitel) or today the "Stop or my Mom will shoot" easy to understand as well. In the movies are a lot of excellent phrases, and idioms. It is worth to take a notes them!
  • peaceculture2peaceculture2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, you're [email protected]_Viktor welcome to the forum
    Sometimes it's better to find some TV series which acted by native speakers, even though they do prefer some slang but it's the way to understand the way to speak 'pronunciation skills etc
    I haven't seen any of the other Scandinavian TV series that have been shown in the UK, so I don't know if they speak in English in them at all, but when they did in Trapped, the Icelandic series, they spoke extremely clearly and very well @peaceculture2. It can sometimes be easier to understand non-native speakers, especially from northern European countries when they don't have much of an accent.
    Yeah @mheredge
    Last night, I watched another episode of Gotham. It is really a good series especially if you have some interest in detective series.
  • EugenyAntonovEugenyAntonov Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    I like Friends. I didn't watch it in Russian version.
    edited April 2016
    @EugenyAntonov: I agree, I remember this series way back in my elementary days. ;)

O81uTmqtdj-DSpFeyoPrreFyuo9H0_kFNz5aK-y0hdjQ_sTC1i2A5lWZR-jpvraSG2_clggeDakjltauey3Die8FnGmSt58w5EAmDTpDR-xn0DpiARb2o1rArPk=w313-h470-nc
    I've been catching up with a few episodes of Blindspot. The American accents in this are easy to follow and the characters speak very clearly.