Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Good TV series for improving your English

Comments

• walterwalter Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge A lot of people in my country download films via pirate sites. Reason for that is because don`t exist yet punishment for that.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭
    mheredge said:

I saw episode 3 of Line of Duty and the plot thickens. I've worked out that the undercover cop's accent is probably Birmingham, but a bad one @Practical_Severard. Or it might be also because the actor isn't a Brummy himself (he's from Leicester, so not too far away).

I found a Brummie dictionary (sort of) some time ago. But I've never seriosusly wanted to pick up anything from there.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge The brummie accent is probably the hardest for me to understand.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭
    Vok said:

@mheredge The brummie accent is probably the hardest for me to understand.

@Voc, try Manc then. I thibk that's harder. Twinkle in "The Dinnerladies" on Youtube speaks it.
    @Practical_Severard it's much more easier with the Mancunian accent because it's my favourite accent. It's music to my ears.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,146 ✭✭✭✭
    @Vok it sounds nasal and like they are complaining all the time. It is not one of Britain's nicer sounding accents. The Newcastle accent is hard to understand but it is very musical and kinder on the ear.
    @mheredge the fact that I like moaning too explains why I like their accent.
    :) I think everyone thinks they are the biggest moaners @Vok. The French love to say it is a national passtime and are always surprised when I tell them that Brits love to complain too.
    edited April 18
    AC, DI, OCG...I clean forgot how challenging 'Line Of Duty' is. Not the best series to improve your English but riveting. Watched the first episode of the new season.
    Hahaha @Vok, not just for you but for all of us. I hate all those jargon abbreviations.
    Watched the second episode yesterday. At some point I gave up and turned the subtitles on. It should be enshrined in law that all villains have to speak with RP @mheredge .
    A lot of police jargon you should be able to guess or isn't so important @Vok. It was a lot simpler in Dixon of Dock Green's day. Sadly I think the BBC managed to lose most of this series as in the old days, they used to tape over the same cans of film or even just didn't keep them for prosperity.

Through the ages: 1956

1960 (before I was even born but I remember this theme tune when I watched as a kid).

The series ran from 1955 to 1976.

I'm going to watch the latest episode of Line of Duty. It is probably my favourite series right now.
  • palomaestevezpalomaestevez Posts: 21 ✭✭
    @julianocfd I think Futurama also is very funny and easy to understand.
    @Vok that awful accent of the character in Line of Duty I mentioned wasn't a badly done Birmingham one, but a Belfast accent. I confess this accent is one I have most problems with. I have probably already told how I once had a guy who came from near Belfast who worked as my assistant. I could never understand a word he was saying most of the time and was always having to ask him to repeat himself.
    Haha, @mheredge I was meant to write that the cop under cover sounds more scottish to me. BTW, I like how Martin Compston softens his scottish accent in the show.

I didn't have time yesterday to watch the latest episode of LOD in one go. So I watched an oldie but a goodie comedy called 'Miranda'. Highly recommended. Such fun.
  • walterwalter Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    I downloaded series line of duty, but yet I did`t watch. I hope that I soon start to watch this series because I saw a lot of good comment about that.
    edited April 23
    Good grief! I never realised Compston wasn't a Londoner @Vok. He really does sound like a Londoner (south of the river).

He mentions Ken Loach. He makes excellent movies. He made one set in Glasgow where he added English subtitles for the first twenty minutes to help the English people in the audience get used to the strong accents.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,740 mod
    mheredge said:

Darn it! The complications of being so international now, BBC America (which I never knew even existed) is now stipulating that Killing Eve won't be aired in the UK until June, when they have finished showing all the episodes in America. So although it is starting to be shown over the other side of the pond now, it looks like we'll have to wait.

There's an interesting point in this article by David Attenborough, who has recently switched from the BBC to Netflix. He says one of the reasons for this is that his programmes can be aired simultaneously around the world, so having a greater impact.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/07/killing-eve-bbc-america-uk-no-date-set?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA0MDg=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

You'll definitely be able to find it online somewhere. Remember I mentioned the Firestick to you? The episodes will be there almost instantly after they've aired in the US :).
    Firestick works via Amazon Prime, which you do have to subscribe to.
    It seems that 'Line of Duty' producers made a cock-up of Corbett's real accent @mheredge

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/line-duty-fans-baffled-over-14443739
    Hahaha @Vok. I went hiking today with a woman from Glasgow. She's lived away from there for many years now, living in the south of England and married to a Frenchman who spoke pretty good RP English, but she still was coming out with quite a strong accent and used 'wee' all the time to describe things that were little.
    @mheredge I was dumbfounded by the ending of the forth episode. I think that's exactly what I like about 'Line of Duty'. You think you know what is going to happen, but you don't have a clue.
    I am going to watch episode 5 tonight @Vok. Episode 4 was a bit of a shocker.
    I've downloaded the first episode of 'Our Planet' with David Attenborough. I like his mellow and soothing voice. These series about nature are amazing.
    Oh wow, episode 5 was even more fraught @Vok. I'm on tenterhooks for the final episode next week.

David Attenborough is amazing. He's incredible - he's 92 years old and still going strong.
    No waaaay @mheredge . I'm actually torn between watching Champions League semi-final today, Tottenham vs Ajax, and watching 'Line of Duty'.
    Killing Eve is another series you might like @Vok. It is quite funny too, though the humour is quite dark in this spy-thriller.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,740 mod
    mheredge said:

Firestick works via Amazon Prime, which you do have to subscribe to.

You can install apps that don't rely on Prime, though. I have access to every TV show and movie possible, and have never paid a penny for Prime.