Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Newly discovered bacteria that can feed on plastic.

science24science24 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Science and nature
Plastic, as we all know, is a menace to the environment. In recent years, the problem of plastic pollution has escalated quite drastically, causing cities, towns and even oceans to be clogged with this harmful substance. Last year, a team of scientists from Stanford University and Beijing-based BeiHang University demonstrated the amazing Styrofoam-digesting abilities of mealworms. As part of a somewhat similar study, another group of researchers has found a species of bacteria that literally feeds on plastic waste.

Scientists Discover Bacteria That Feed On Plastic: A Breakthrough That Could Help Reverse Plastic Pollution

Newly discovered bacteria can eat plastic bottles

Comments

• science24science24 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is the link for the paper published in science, I wish I could have acces to full text, maybe @Xanthippe can help me to get it ;)

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/351/6278/1196
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian CanadaPosts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a polymer engineer,
    this news was really amazing for me.Polymers are materials with strange behaviour and unbelievable characteristics.The only big problem of them is going to solve.I recently had a lot of news about finding different kinds of creatures that can degrade some types of polymers.
    It is the rule with science @navidafrasiabian , you should always expect the unexpected.
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian CanadaPosts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I love it because of this!! @science24
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Science24, I am trying to get it. ;)
    @Science24, check your email box. :)
    edited March 2016
    Thank you very much @Xanthippe , I am scanning it for now, it is really a piece of art.

@Science24, wow, that's amazing. :)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,680 ✭✭✭✭
    Could this help solve the problem of plastic waste?
    Of course @mheredge , let's hope for the best :)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I heard that scientists have discovered that a lot of plastic eventually does breakdown into tiny particles @science24, which then are eaten by fish and in turn by us when we eat the fish.
  • David01David01 Posts: 5
    Excellent news! This bacteria could help a lot with the lots of garbage that is produced every day. But the human need to make a bigger effort to reduce his impact in the nature!
  • David01David01 Posts: 5
    @mheredge I think that the act of throw the garbage into the ocean by the big companys should be more punished. In general people ignore a little bit the environment, and forget that we pay for our actions :neutral:
  • LaszloMarkLaszloMark Posts: 89 Inactive
    Holy Cow! 33 million tons of plastic discarded every year in the United States alone!? That is a huge amount. We need a million tons of bacteria to decomposed these. And if you think about it, this is just the smaller part of the problem. Think about the oceans! There is a huge amount of plastic waste too. But I am pleased to see, there is some project to solve this problem too! Like the The Ocean Cleanup project!
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,964 mod
    Wow! This is a great discovery from Japan. Super Awesome!!!

http://phys.org/news/2016-03-newly-bacteria-plastic-bottles.html