Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Could you live on a dollar a day?

1101112131416»

Comments

• mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭
    Need is the mother of invention!
    Human proved that they are the most adaptable species in this world. We can do anything even with restrictions.
    I am sure you all have watched " Man vs. wild". :D :D
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends on how long you're looking at surviving on a dollar a day and what you need to survive. If you're just talking about food, then it might be possible in some countries to manage at least for a while. But like @mohit_singh says, whilst it might be possibleto get a meal a day for a dollar, the questionis how long for, as longer term you might find you're missing vital nutrients. Going back to the original video at the start of this topic, this was one of the problems faced.

And if you take survival on just one dollar a day to include everything which I think again was implied in the video, then like you say @LARAWIN554, only self-sufficient tribes who do not use money would be able to survive. However in this day and age this would only be possible if they are totally cut off from the outside world as things like medical care, schools and transport might need money.

However in many places, I think it would be impossible. There's a lot of difference between the cost of living for @Yellowtail (Japan) and @mohit_singh (India).
  • sauravkrsauravkr Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Yupp but no longer than two days
    I was impressed by the variety and quantity of vegetables I got for the equivalent of £1 (about 1.25 USD or 135 NRs). But for 10 times this, I didn't get much in the way of packaged or canned food like cooking oil, tinned tuna, breakfast cereal and so on. I think a half dozen eggs came to a bit less than a dollar though.
  • maykmayk Posts: 155 Inactive
    A dollar a day oh no, it's not enough to buy a food for the whole day. It will buy a bottle of water and a piece of bread, not enough. You need at least 4 or 5 it depends on your country (currency).
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    No way
    This is an interesting article. The author tried #NoSpendChallenge for a month (Spoiler: I tried. I failed. I tried harder). Apparently there are 16 million people in the UK with less than £100 in savings. What's worse is that people in their early thirties are reported as one of the UK’s least financially resilient groups, with one-quarter not feeling prepared for the financial impact of life milestones, like buying a property or having children.

All the same, she did save £300, so I don't think she failed that badly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/d0438e75-f9fc-4a85-a5b4-ce3cc040e33d
  • julianocfdjulianocfd Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Converting one dollar to brazillian money, I would make R$120,00 reals a month. That's really not much. I'll have to hunt to not get hungry. haha. Like a brazillian Indian. Interisting fact that I saw in US, is that people from there get paid normally every week, diferently from here that we get paid every month. We work all month and then get paid. It's sad :s
  • julianocfdjulianocfd Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited March 22
    So sad!!
    edited March 22
    I think it depends on the type of work @julianocfd. Many people there are also paid monthly.

I think it would be impossible to live on a dollar a day in France. You could just about afford to buy one bagette of bread with this.