Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Could you live on a dollar a day?

Comments

• kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 8,055 mod
    @mheredge said:

I think it might be enough to survive on for a short while, but like @LaszloMark says, it wouldn't be enough for the long term. I think this is what the American couple found in the film. They got sick after a while. And then if you don't have free healthcare, there's no way you'll make it on a dollar a day.

Yes my friend. It's really helpful while you're earning a few dollars, yet the compensation package like benefits from the company should include healthcare benefits.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    It's not one cup of tea or one time meal. I know that I can manage it. When you will be here, we will practice it for a day. ;)
    mheredge said:

But how long could you survive like this @Bubbly, with one meal a day and one cup of tea?

Perhaps I have to try this one dollar thing today if it really works for me. :)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,856 ✭✭✭✭
    I think for one day, almost anyone might be able to manage (if they don't have to travel anywhere too). The question is, for how long would you be able to live on a dollar a day. Remember the challenge was to do this for a month @kindgnice.
    @mheredge said:

I think for one day, almost anyone might be able to manage (if they don't have to travel anywhere too). The question is, for how long would you be able to live on a dollar a day. Remember the challenge was to do this for a month @kindgnice.

Just tried it out this morning, and it panned out that it's not enough for me, I just already spent $1+ for my travel bus. :smiley:
  • abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,030 Inactive
    edited April 2016
    Well for me its not that difficult because my office is just 500 meters away from my home so I can walk and If you talk about my meal I can survive one day without meal and water. So yeah I can manage.:)

Well for me its not that difficult because my office is just 500 meters away from my home so I can walk and If you talk about my meal I can survive one day without meal and water. So yeah I can manage.:)

Is that what you called "fasting"?
    @kindgnice Yeah you are right my friend:)
    One day I think is okay @abhishekb9099 (though a day without water isn't a great idea), but to live on a dollar a day for longer? Could you manage?
    @mheredge well I can live only a day or maximum 2 days not more than that. At least for me it won't be possible to live on dollar..
    Yeah it's exhausting for me I guess. :)
    I bought a couple of aubergines for a euro today. This wouldn't go far if I was relying on spending just a dollar a day. I think there are very few places left where it is even remotely possible, unless you can live off the land to a large extent.
    Living off the land with farm is one of the best options. :)
    edited May 2016
    I don't see this any issue if I convert this money into Rs. :)
    mheredge said:

But how long could you survive like this @Bubbly, with one meal a day and one cup of tea?

@abhishekb9099: Is it possible my friend to have fasting for 1 week?
    @kindgnice Yeah its possible my sister did fast for 9 days. In which you can have only boiled water nothing else. Its really tough but she did it. I had done fast for one day not more than that. But fast also varies from religion to religion, like I am in Jainism, in Vishnu the way of fast is bit different.
    @kindgnice Yeah its possible my sister did fast for 9 days. In which you can have only boiled water nothing else. Its really tough but she did it. I had done fast for one day not more than that. But fast also varies from religion to religion, like I am in Jainism, in Vishnu the way of fast is bit different.

Wow! That was awesome! Even me, I guess I'll die even skipping a day of not eating though. :)
    I'm eating less than normal, and this is bad enough. But to go without food. I don't think I could manage this @abhishekb9099. I'd fall over very soon.
    Me too @mheredge. I'll get easily sick too.
  • hazel27hazel27 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    This one dollar I have to spend on buying only food or also on costs such things as power, water, rent?
    @hazel27 wrote: »
    This one dollar I have to spend on buying only food or also on costs such things as power, water, rent?

Do you mean you can pay for your electric bills with just one dollar?
    @mheredge @kindgnice i guess the main reason behind this is we are born in this culture so for us it might be bit easy though its damn tough but my sister have that courage to do it every year... But its all about in which culture you born that motivates you that give you power to do this. If in your family if everyone decides to do fast for 5 days then I am sure you will do it atleast for one day you will be motivated from your family members...
    @hazel27 I think the idea was to see if it was possible to live off one dollar a day, including everything. They can't possibly be including rent though.

I managed to get five artichokes for one euro at the market today. They were a being sold cheaply because tomorrow is a public holiday and I suspect the market will be closed.
    Yes buddy, you have a point there. ;)
    @abhishekb9099
  • hazel27hazel27 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    @kindgnice Of course I couldn't live with just one dollar a day and paying my bills. I asked this question, because all of you write just about costs of food.
  • ScottScott Posts: 97 ✭✭✭
    Recently, I read a book "portfolio of the poor : How the world's poor live on 2 dollars a day." Of course, I don't finished it yet. quite difficult for me to understand! Anyway, I can't imagine how to live on such little money a day!
    @hazel27 wrote: »
    @kindgnice Of course I couldn't live with just one dollar a day and paying my bills. I asked this question, because all of you write just about costs of food.

I agreed with you buddy. ;)
    @Scott wrote: »
    Recently, I read a book "portfolio of the poor : How the world's poor live on 2 dollars a day." Of course, I don't finished it yet. quite difficult for me to understand! Anyway, I can't imagine how to live on such little money a day!

Me too. I love to eat more healthy foods.
    This book is seven years old now @Scott. Inflation has really taken it's toll in Asia so I reckon prices might be almost double what they were back then!
    Don't spend all the money on different types of soups that you shared with us. :)
    @hazel27 said: