Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Could you live on a dollar a day?

Comments

• kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,966 mod
    @eysan @shasha96
    Any inputs my friends? :)
  • shasha96shasha96 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    i have a dolllar i will try to live on it.. lol just kidding though i have a dolloar for collection :D i dont know what to say on this..?!:tired_face:
    You're right Marianne. We should take into consideration the inflation. That's why other financial managers advise not to let our money sleep in time deposits or savings accounts, instead, invest it to funds like stocks or mutual funds. :) @mheredge
  • hazel27hazel27 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    Haha @Bubbly :smiley:
    But I admit if I need to live just one dollar a day a would make my soups. It has lots of vitamines. Besides I couldn't afford to buy meat. :wink:
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    @hazel27 not a bad idea. Infact, soup can be made in this amount easily. :)
    edited May 2016
    @shasha96 let me rephrase it. If you have one dollar, how would you do 'guzara' with it in a day? ;)
    edited May 2016
    What are the usual ingredients of your soups my friend? @hazel27 ;)
    Water :D and some meat (for example chicken wings) to make broth. Than potato, carrot, parsley, a little bit celery, onion. It's vegetable soup. You can add also green pea or beans. We add nuddle or vegetable soup. You can add also green pea, been. We add nuddles or groats to make soup more nitritious. @kindgnice Do you fancy soups?
    @hazel27 wrote: »
    Water :D and some meat (for example chicken wings) to make broth. Than potato, carrot, parsley, a little bit celery, onion. It's vegetable soup. You can add also green pea or beans. We add nuddle or vegetable soup. You can add also green pea, been. We add nuddles or groats to make soup more nitritious. @kindgnice Do you fancy soups?

I like cream of mushrooms and crab soup.
    Cream of mushroom soup images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxuj-9FYcstFISGXw6oNOQr45NkRg_isi-qB--a5U0cfHvha0Ol2ACVjnxVQ Crab soup

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfqKxJttJ3mIqY0ouSpdEoNkpx4h2iHqeq2KOmMAFDocSTIfNWPIwbwyx2
    edited May 2016
    I love mushroom soup either! But I haven't eaten crab soup. @kindgnice
    You must try it my friend. It's really mouth-watering. ;) @hazel27
  • shasha96shasha96 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    @Bubbly Aapi, I agree with @eysan we can't buy a thing from a dollar. Forget about surviving or living?! I guess... :'D :D
    @eysan wrote: »
    @kindgnice If we need to live that is enough one dollar .I can buy bread and a bit olives and dry onion . hehe
    dear one dollar very less money .we cant buy even a bowl of soup in our country .

I agree with you my friend. I wonder how will I be able to live in your country in a day with a dollar in my hand? Can you share us how much usually is the expected budget there per month?
    @shasha96: You're right my friend Sha. ;)
  • abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,030 Inactive
    @shasha96 Lol you are right Bano
    @shasha96 at least we can try by having a soup suggested by @hazel27 :) I think that it is really nutritious. :)
  • aramis10aramis10 Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Here in usa is impossible, but maybe in a country with a different currency it could be possible
    @eysan wrote: »
    @kindgnice If you owner your house I mean you pay any money to rent your house and you can live with $350 ın a month
    ıt is enough handle with ıt to live
    but I am sayıng to one person....

ohhh. Now I know what to do if I visit your country Eysan someday. Thanks for this info my friend. ;)
    @aramis10 wrote: »
    Here in usa is impossible, but maybe in a country with a different currency it could be possible

Yes Buddy, I agree with that. ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
    In Romania things are a lot cheaper than I France (it's maybe the poorest country in Europe), but relatively speaking, as wages are very low here, I think for most local people, it seems expensive.
    Thanks for this trivia. Now I know where to go first in Europe, and I know my Romanian clients will help me as well. :) @mheredge
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭✭
    I cannot come up with the cost of living in Russia, but the answer to the title question is 'no'. Probably, if you live as a hermit, on hunting/gathering/farming in a remote area.

Though, a person's food for a month in Moscow costs from 7000 RUR - almost 108USD by the today's official exchange rate. If you double it, ypu probably get the minimal monthly cost, if you have your own accomodation.

The food basket is according to a this country's law.

That's the lawmakers' idea (in pics) what an adult woman needs to eat a day (delete five spaces per link):
    http: // tsenomer . ru /novosti/primernyj-racion-pitaniya-zhenshhin-ot-16-do-54-let/
    (the first photo is a daily total, the following onesare per each meal)

The same for an adult man:
    http: // tsenomer . ru /novosti/primernyj-dnevnoj-racion-pitaniya-dlya-muzhchin-ot-16-do-59-let/
    I cannot come up with the cost of living in Russia, but the answer to the title question is 'no'. Probably, if you live as a hermit, on hunting/gathering/farming in a remote area.

Though, a person's food for a month in Moscow costs from 7000 RUR - almost 108USD by the today's official exchange rate. If you double it, ypu probably get the minimal monthly cost, if you have your own accomodation.

The food basket is according to a this country's law.

That's the lawmakers' idea (in pics) what an adult woman needs to eat a day (delete five spaces per link):
    http: // tsenomer . ru /novosti/primernyj-racion-pitaniya-zhenshhin-ot-16-do-54-let/
    (the first photo is a daily total, the following onesare per each meal)

The same for an adult man:
    http: // tsenomer . ru /novosti/primernyj-dnevnoj-racion-pitaniya-dlya-muzhchin-ot-16-do-59-let/

Wow! Thanks buddy for giving us a hint about Russia's cost of living. I'm sure @glorian could relate to this as well. ;)
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunetly, I live a dollar per day right now. :trollface:
    @Glorian wrote: »
    Unfortunetly, I live a dollar per day right now. :trollface:

Seriously buddy? Great job. :)
    How do you manage @Glorian?
  • Sergey75Sergey75 Posts: 6
    I think that life by one dollar really can, but I think that this not life.
    If you watch the video, the young couple seem quite optimistic to start with but after a while, they realise it's not easy.
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not manage, I have to... @mheredge
    They have American accents, but you can replay it if you don't get what they say the first time @Glorian. It's quite long, so you can always skip parts of it.