Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Could you live on a dollar a day?

Comments

• KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so difficult to me because my mother buy eat to chicken cost two dollar
  • abhishekb9099abhishekb9099 Posts: 1,030 Inactive
    @Bubbly I guess it depends upon season. You can visit this link it would be helpful for you. I never checked it but if you are going to check then let me know please :wink: I will do the same if it works :sweat_smile:
    http://frugalliving.about.com/od/foodsavings/tp/Cheapest_Produce.htm
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    @abhishekb9099 It varies from country to country but in summer fruits are a bit costly because of its demand. :)
    @Bubbly Ohh okay I will try to observe prices of different fruits. It will take whole year to analyse but I guess I should try it once.. Yesterday price of Fuji Apple was 180 Rs/Kg and watermelon was 20 Rs/kg. So I will check it in next month too will this remain same or not!!!! :wink:
    @abhishekb9099 surprisingly, watermelon is also Rs. 20 per Kg in my city. I like to eat watermelon daily. :)
    @Bubbly Me too... But I don't like to cut it.. :wink::lol:
    @abhishekb9099 then how do you eat it?:O
    @Bubbly My Mumma or Dad or I tell to my brother to cut it for me :wink:
    But sometimes I do cut it myself.. :smile:
    @abhishekb9099 hahaha. I like to cut it into square pieces. :)
    edited June 2016
    @Bubbly Same here and I like the middle part of watermelon and we use to fight for that part in our home... as its one of the sweetest part of it. :lol:
    @abhishekb9099 Same here especially if it is sweet. :)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

yes I know it is very hard to earn in some countries, I believe that if we work together and try to solve this problems around us then the future will be better then today, I hope so....@mheredge

This is true. Though there is also a large difference between what $1 would buy in my country and in other countries. Here, you could really only buy a pint of milk for that amount, but in other countries you could probably buy a lot more.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,838 ✭✭✭✭
    I have just spent a dollar on a very nice smoothie. You can get a decent cupof coffee (an Americano) for about a dollar, but a cappuccino or latte would cost more like a pound (or more now the pound is sliding....)
  • ai780227ai780227 Posts: 10
    @mheredge I think that it depends on where do u live. I mean that if you live in developed countries like America or Japan, it is definitely impossible to live on a dollar a day, because their price level is high, whereas living in developing countries like Vietnam or Myanmar, it could be.
    I think there aren't many countries left in the world where you can live on a dollar a day UNLESS you are a farmer and produce most of what you eat and don't have to pay anything for your accommodation @ai780227.

But even just trying to budget for food isn't easy. This article was written four years ago, but is interesting all the same.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/28/living-on-one-college-students-one-dollar-a-day_n_2034537.html

Dollar shops are quite the same as living on a dollar a day, but it's an interesting article!

http://www.attn.com/stories/878/dollar-store-health-concerns?utm_source=storyofstuff&utm_medium=fbpost&utm_campaign=influencer
    @mheredge hahaha. They didn't mention any solutions to this issue. :)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    ai780227 said:

@mheredge I think that it depends on where do u live. I mean that if you live in developed countries like America or Japan, it is definitely impossible to live on a dollar a day, because their price level is high, whereas living in developing countries like Vietnam or Myanmar, it could be.

That is true. There are some countries where you can buy lots of things for one dollar, so perhaps you could actually eat quite well by spending this amount every day on food.
  • NajikaNajika Posts: 21 ✭✭
    A day you can survive with a dollar..but next day definitely you can not..mark my words..
    In France they used to have one euro shops but in the last few years, inflation mens they've all turned into two dollar shops. You don't get much for your money though.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    1 USD = 6.7 RMB. Maybe I can keep one whole day on it in a Chinese town.
    @SuiQi what will you buy with this dollar for your living?
    @SuiQi you're right, a dollar can go quite a long way in China, as long as you're not in Shanghai maybe.
    I wanted to buy two bananas today, but the little girl didn't have a clue what to charge me, because the huge bunch of three or so kilos only cost one dollar! I bought the lot and will be eating bananas for the next few days!
    Yesterday, my sister bought 5 different kitchen items in Rs. 300. Actually, there was an exhibition conducted by different companies where she found these things in a very cheap rate.
    @Bubbly how much is 300Rs in Pakistan worth? In Nepal 300NRs is worth approximately three US dollars.
    @mheredge 1 dollar equals to 104 Pakistani Rs. Almost same as in Nepal.
    I was surprised to find that Ecuador uses US dollars as their currency. Obviously it buys a lot more than it would in the US. In the market the vendors sell many products by the dollar. One dollar bills do exist (probably brought in by foreigners) but Ecuador has its own dollar, fifty cent, quarter, ten and five cent coins that are made for the country by the US and imported.
    Due to summer clothes sale, I am thinking to buy some lawn clothes for the next season because they are really cheap in price these days. I like this summer sale spree with my sisters. You can easily buy two to three dress only in 6$.
    What do you mean by 'lawn clothes ' @Bubbly?