Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget the calendar. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to check where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice
https://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Reading Practice
https://learn-english.online

Writing Practice on our forum and Discord server.

Listening Practice
Podcasts on Spreaker
https://www.spreaker.com/user/learnenglishnetwork
Videos on our YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/learnenglishnetwork

Could you live on a dollar a day?

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    Lawn is a type of fabric that is used for the summer season. It is really think almost see through but best for the hot season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_cloth
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭
    yeah ! i could live in India with 67 rupee(1 dollar)!
    this is because for food you could go in GURUDWARA(SIKH TEMPLE) or HINDU TEMPLE where you could get free LANGER or PRASAD(food) for everyone.
    so,67 rupee is enough for me for one day in india.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    That's too small to live on
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭
    That's cheating @mohit_singh! But I suppose you could get away with this for a few days. Would you have to become a hermit to be fed for free every day?
    @Jezzdavid why do you think that it is so small to live on?
    @mheredge I agree with @mohit_singh there are many people who live on these shrines to get two times daily meal. In Pakistan, there are many shrines where poor people get free food that is called Lunger. Majority of them are labourers who spend all the day doing work and then go to the shrines to get some rice and lentil.
    In country like India,it could be possible (not easy,but possible) to live on 1 dollar.there are several families in India whose total income for the day is about 3 or 4 dollar with 5 0r 6 member in the family.when you do calculation you find that each person is living in less than a dollar.and this type of people are in great number @mheredge @Bubbly @Jezzdavid
    @mohit_singh yes and it is hard to earn especially when there are many dependants in a family usually kids and women.
    yes ! i agree with you @Bubbly
  • AhmedZanoonAhmedZanoon Posts: 31 ✭✭
    In my country 1 dollar = 12 pounds so it is easly to live to day on 1 dollar :D B)
    @AhmedZanoon so what can you buy in 12 pounds in a day?
  • AhmedZanoonAhmedZanoon Posts: 31 ✭✭
    I can eat what make me alive and able to go to work . I will use it in necessary things only but I can live with one dollar :)
    Are these people living in cities or the countryside @mohit_singh? It's really tough if they can't grow some of their food. On this sort of level of income, I'm guessing that the children might be rather malnourished.
    [email protected]! They do several works, some of them are farmer as well.but some of them came to cities from there village and work as a unskilled worker or labourer.
    That's great. Sometimes, we can make a good strategy to limit our needs when there is shortage of money.

I can eat what make me alive and able to go to work . I will use it in necessary things only but I can live with one dollar :)

I'm still not convinced that a dollar goes that far in India nowadays @mohit_singh if the family has to survive on cash alone. Sixty seven rupees a day doesn't go very far if you have a family to feed.
    The only way to survive with less money is to list out your primary needs. I don't think that it is difficult to do!
    Water, food, roof...
    roti kapra or makan...(food,cloth and home)....!
    This is possible in India..! you have to trust me @mheredge .the other reason is that the government is also helping out the people with low income to feed them in low possible price.In only India (i think!) you could get 2 rupee per KG rice and 3 or 4 rupee per kg wheat.
    Wow, yes this is a very low price @mohit_singh. Is this a special price for poor people or is this available for anyone?
    @mohit_singh you are lucky to get 1Kg rice in Rs. 2. It is quite expensive in Pakistan.
    Yes! @mheredge ..it is specially for the poor people.Not for everyone.But in near future government is trying to put it for all people.One bill is already passed in parliament for this. There is some international issue on this matter.I think India have to take permission from UN council to fully implement it.
    In Pakistan government does not provide ration for poor people?? @Bubbly
    @mohit_singh there are many organisations working with government to provide Ration through sasta bazaar. But, this facility is limited to few areas that is why people are not aware of it.
    [email protected] think the organization should exapand it's area to help out all poor people.and every poor people should get at least,basic food to live.
    I'm not aware there's anything like this in Nepal either @mohit_singh and @Bubbly, though rice is sometimes airlifted to poor, remote areas and might be provided at a reduced cost in these cases.
    edited July 2016
    @mheredge this Ration scheme is introduced by the government in remote areas but usually people do corruption by hoarding different food items in warehouses. I think that it is a big issue that need to be addressed but again there is no monitoring body that take care of these issues.
    Yes! Corruption is a big issue in India as well.But from last two years it is been decreasing. It can not be eliminated totally though goverment is trying to eliminate it by enforcement of technology.
    Hoarding often occurs in Nepal too @Bubbly, pushing up prices of things like petrol and gas in particular. The government needs to crack down on it but usually the government is corrupt and in cahoots with the villains who exploit everyone in this way.