Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Could you live on a dollar a day?

Comments

• venkat2016venkat2016 Posts: 8
    nice movie
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge it is not a good example but there are many people who even involve in hoarding of wheat and rice. These are the basic needs of people but they like to exploit poor people on rates.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭
    What you think @susant_singh .
    Can you live a day with one dollar only in your city?
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭✭
    > @Bubbly said:
    > @mheredge this Ration scheme is introduced by the government in remote areas but usually people do corruption by hoarding different food items in warehouses. I think that it is a big issue that need to be addressed but again there is no monitoring body that take care of these issues.

Corruption is done by goverment (councils') employees. I think you've meant "profiteering". Though food distribution and police measures wouldn't solve the problem. Probably the Chinese style factories would.

BTW, does the clergy address the problem?
    @Practical_Severard it's only to blackmail people when there is price hike. The hoarders want to earn some extra money in many ways.
    > @Bubbly said:
    > @Practical_Severard it's only to blackmail people when there is price hike. The hoarders want to earn some extra money in many ways.

I understand. That's an ages old practice which has happened in the whole world (and is still happening in some parts of it). But the word "corruption" applies to the persons who use their position in an institution (or a large corporation, maybe) to extract a personal profit. Stocking goods to sell at a higher price at a time of trouble, if done by businesses or private persons, isn't "corruption", it's "profiteering".
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,838 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what you mean by the clergy addressing the problem @Practical_Severard , though in India and Nepal in Hindu areas, the clergy or priests don't really tend to have any great influence like they might in Christian or Moslem countries.

Prices are already starting to go up in the UK as a result of the dramatic drop in the value of the pound. One euro was worth £1.28 only a week before Brexit but now is down to £1.15.
    > @mheredge said:
    > I'm not sure what you mean by the clergy addressing the problem @Practical_Severard [...] the clergy or priests don't really tend to have any great influence like they might in Christian or Moslem countries.

Knowing that Pakistan is a practicing Moslem country I wanted to know whether the Moslem clerics preached compassion to those hungry, including, probably an excommunication of a sort to the profiteers.

>
    > Prices are already starting to go up in the UK as a result of the dramatic drop in the value of the pound. One euro was worth £1.28 only a week before Brexit but now is down to £1.15.
    10% drop isn't anything disastrous, it happened twice in 5 years
    Actually the drop in the pound is the biggest for many years @Practical_Severard. I'm sure it will eventually recover, but in the meantime, it won't help the economy.
    > @mheredge said:
    > Actually the drop in the pound is the biggest for many years @Practical_Severard. I'm sure it will eventually recover, but in the meantime, it won't help the economy.

I've a got a link with a chart for the historical exchange rate data:
    www. exchangerates .org. uk/ GBP-EUR-exchange-rate-history .html#
    Delete the spaces and click "5 years" below the chart and you'll see three previous drops to the current value or even below that.

The price rise is a short-term outcome and the psychological factor is its main reason. When the people overcome the first shock the things will turn to better. The British economy is too highly intertwined with the others for the Brexit to be a substantial factor.
    @Practical_Severard it is the matter of implementation of certain rules and regulations. I don't see them in my country. Sometimes, in order to keep humanity alive, we have to knock the doors of judiciary that is another quest these days.
    > @Bubbly said: it is the matter of implementation of certain rules and regulations. Sometimes, in order to keep humanity alive, we have to knock the doors of judiciary that is another quest these days.
    I have no problem with any legal action and believe that the law should be upheld. BUT, this should be a two-way road. Unjust and contradicting the human nature laws and regulations should be neither adopted nor upheld.

> I don't see them in my country.
    Undfortunately, there are to many countries of this kind, including mine.
    I used to think Britain was pretty good when it came to justice, but I'm not so sure any more. There are now so many new rules and regulations that seem to disadvantage poorer people, yet the richer you are, the more it seems you can get away with. But I guess that's a problem in too many countries too @Practical_Severard and @Bubbly.
    @mheredge Justice is secondary thing now. It is a matter of getting maximum benefits out of anything. I don't see a single country where justice prevails and people accept it openly. It is a matter of survival and for that people usually compromise on laws.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

I wanted to buy two bananas today, but the little girl didn't have a clue what to charge me, because the huge bunch of three or so kilos only cost one dollar! I bought the lot and will be eating bananas for the next few days!

So perhaps you could live off bananas alone where you are, and then you would be able to get by on a dollar a day!
    In Ecuador they are forced to use the American dollar, following the collapse of the economy a year or so back. As it's quite a cheap place m it's not so much how many dollars, but how much for one dollar. Americans love it as they don't have to change money when they come.
    > @mheredge said:
    > Americans love it as they don't have to change money when they come.
    I bet their main reason is that they get for a dollar far more than at home. A win-win situation for the both parties.
    Without a doubt @Practical_Severard. Ecuador along with Colombia and Venezuela are the cheapest countries in Latin America and your dollar still goes quite a long way there.

If anyone is interested in budget travel in Nepal, you might find this youtube film interesting:

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

In Ecuador they are forced to use the American dollar, following the collapse of the economy a year or so back. As it's quite a cheap place m it's not so much how many dollars, but how much for one dollar. Americans love it as they don't have to change money when they come.

And if everything is cheaper, than I suppose they enjoy the novelty of their money being able to stretch a lot further, too!
    More and less, there are few cheapest bazzars for poor in my city. I know sometimes, it is difficult to even spend a rupee to buy something but still people enjoy few things related to different life activities. Chinese products contributed a lot in this regard.
    Are you saying that there aren't many places where you can find cheap things @Bubbly or that there just aren't so many cheap goods available? I wasn't sure what you meant when you referred to Chinese products. These are cheap, aren't they? Or can't you find these in Pakistan?
    In India and in pakistan ( I think as the culture are the same) People think that some Chinese product are not reliable and long lasting specially electronic gadgets.but trust me in every electronic gadgets in India and Pakistan there are at least one small Chinese component.
    @mdshamsad
    what is your thought about chinese product in india?
  • mdshamsadmdshamsad Posts: 88 ✭✭
    @mohit_singh

yes Mohit i agree with your view but i have different point of view regarding Chinese product in India........As we know that we live in modern world where price of every things is going on high but only Chinese product has only less price......so it is beneficial for this type of product..
  • fayezkareemfayezkareem Posts: 23 ✭✭
    @mheredge in Egypt one dollar equals 10 Pounds this may be enough only for food and drink for one person a day with some traditional foods which can worth less than 10 Pounds supposed that you have your own house to live in without any additional expenses
    Exactly! People are using all products of China because these are less costly and a bit different from the routine products.

In India and in pakistan ( I think as the culture are the same) People think that some Chinese product are not reliable and long lasting specially electronic gadgets.but trust me in every electronic gadgets in India and Pakistan there are at least one small Chinese component.

The main problem with cheap Chinese imports is that they are usually very poor quality. And in China do estimated products are even worse quality than export quality goods.
    @mheredge there is another perception of using Chinese products in few areas that is to buy products, use them for sometime, and replace them with new ones. People stopped spending money on reliable things as they usually work for a long time.
    This is so wasteful though @Bubbly. The planet only has finite resources and this throwaway built in obsolescence attitude doesn't help.
    @mheredge yes but people want change in their lives and these days 'a quick change'. I have observed that people get easily fed up with their possessions and looking for something new. May be they have more options and choices as well as compared to past.