Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 5 September 2016 - Secret Language of Flight Attendants

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 996 Teacher
We read about the meaning of the words and phrases that flight attendants use during flights:

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160816-the-secret-lingo-of-flight-attendants

Vocabulary Top 10:

lever - a bar or rod that is used to operate or adjust something on a machine, vehicle, device, etc.

stow - to put (something that is not being used) in a place where it is available, where it can be kept safely

sill - a piece of wood, metal, or stone at the bottom of a door frame or a window frame

latch - a device that holds a door, gate, or window closed and that consists of a bar that falls into a holder when it is closed and that is lifted when it is open

galley - the kitchen of a ship or airplane

cohort - a friend or companion; a group of people with something in common

flustered - upset or nervous

tedious - boring and too slow or long

groan - to make a deep sound because of pain or some strong emotion (such as grief or disappointment); to complain about something

choppy - rough with small waves; marked by sudden stops and starts : not connected smoothly

Have you ever heard any of these phrases during a flight? Have you ever been in any of the situations mentioned in the article?

Comments

• MonikMonik Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    This article was interesting. We looked over the flight attendants' jargon. I can't compare these expressions to what I usually hear in a domestic flight. But I promise, I'll pay attention to when I take an international flight ;)
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭
    I think after this session, me too going to focus more on what is being said on a plane! and it would be nice if I hear the same jargons we read about them here.

Anyhow, at my first coming trip I don't know when, hopefully on my next birthday ;) " stole it from @Shiny03 ", I'll share with you what I hear and of course if I get any cakes or songs :o
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's overwhelming to learn secret language or jargon at first, but at the realization that if I know some of them,
    it helps me understand movies, TV dramas and novels better.

Here are some interesting jargon I found on the internet.
    1. I need a script in order to pick up the medicine. (medical jargon for "prescription")
    2. I need a nurse to room 12 stat. (medical jargon for "in a hurry")
    3. Your objection is overruled. (legal jargon)
    4. We need to take data points to determine if there has been a response to the intervention. (educational jargon)
    5. The suspect is headed west on Route 10. All available units, respond. (police jargon)

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Just-Learn LOL How about both of us flying across the Atlantic Ocean on our birthday to see what would happen?
This discussion has been closed.