Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 5 September 2016 - Secret Language of Flight Attendants

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 965 Teacher
We read about the meaning of the words and phrases that flight attendants use during flights:

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160816-the-secret-lingo-of-flight-attendants

Vocabulary Top 10:

lever - a bar or rod that is used to operate or adjust something on a machine, vehicle, device, etc.

stow - to put (something that is not being used) in a place where it is available, where it can be kept safely

sill - a piece of wood, metal, or stone at the bottom of a door frame or a window frame

latch - a device that holds a door, gate, or window closed and that consists of a bar that falls into a holder when it is closed and that is lifted when it is open

galley - the kitchen of a ship or airplane

cohort - a friend or companion; a group of people with something in common

flustered - upset or nervous

tedious - boring and too slow or long

groan - to make a deep sound because of pain or some strong emotion (such as grief or disappointment); to complain about something

choppy - rough with small waves; marked by sudden stops and starts : not connected smoothly

Have you ever heard any of these phrases during a flight? Have you ever been in any of the situations mentioned in the article?

Comments

• MonikMonik Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    This article was interesting. We looked over the flight attendants' jargon. I can't compare these expressions to what I usually hear in a domestic flight. But I promise, I'll pay attention to when I take an international flight ;)
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    I think after this session, me too going to focus more on what is being said on a plane! and it would be nice if I hear the same jargons we read about them here.

Anyhow, at my first coming trip I don't know when, hopefully on my next birthday ;) " stole it from @Shiny03 ", I'll share with you what I hear and of course if I get any cakes or songs :o
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's overwhelming to learn secret language or jargon at first, but at the realization that if I know some of them,
    it helps me understand movies, TV dramas and novels better.

Here are some interesting jargon I found on the internet.
    1. I need a script in order to pick up the medicine. (medical jargon for "prescription")
    2. I need a nurse to room 12 stat. (medical jargon for "in a hurry")
    3. Your objection is overruled. (legal jargon)
    4. We need to take data points to determine if there has been a response to the intervention. (educational jargon)
    5. The suspect is headed west on Route 10. All available units, respond. (police jargon)

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Just-Learn LOL How about both of us flying across the Atlantic Ocean on our birthday to see what would happen?
This discussion has been closed.