Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Your diary in LE forum

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,806 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this trip has gone very well as I have not been travelling every day. I have been staying typically three or four days in each place (only two nights in Genoa, but that's only a short way home).
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    Today, I am doing a lot of work, but then I am going to my friend's house for dinner this evening. It isn't something that I do very much, but I am looking forward to just being able to chill out for a little while.
    Yesterday was the inauguration of the latest three tramway stations, two of which are underground. The centre of the city is now connected to the airport by tram. Everyone was delighted as this is a much better way to travel around the city. As I had to go to the airport this morning, I was very pleased to be able to use the tram to get there for the first time.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

Yesterday was the inauguration of the latest three tramway stations, two of which are underground. The centre of the city is now connected to the airport by tram. Everyone was delighted as this is a much better way to travel around the city. As I had to go to the airport this morning, I was very pleased to be able to use the tram to get there for the first time.

That sounds great! I think that tram travel can be very efficient, and I know a couple of cities near where I live where the tram is the most popular form of public transport.
    It is certainly a much cleaner form of transport and as long as there is sufficient capacity, they can replace the need for private vehicles as well as buses.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭
    I soaked my boots on Saturday and got cold. The nose is running... Luckily, today it's warm, +22C.
    How did this happen @Practical_Severard? Was it raining? Twenty two degrees sounds positively chilly after all the hot temperatures here. I think it is several degrees warmer than this at night. Though the temperature is slowly beginning to get a bit less. And yesterday and today there were some bad storms in France that left areas of the country (the same that recorded the highest temperature in France a few days ago) without electricity.
    mheredge said:

How did this happen @Practical_Severard? Was it raining?

Yes, it had been raining for several days and I had to visit places which pavement wasn't particularly good.
    mheredge said:

Twenty two degrees sounds positively chilly after all the hot temperatures here.

Well, after +12C we had had before it went for a nice summer weather. Though, a week before there was up to +30 here.
    mheredge said:

the same that recorded the highest temperature in France a few days ago

I've read about this in the local news. I hope the grid will be on in a short time, however they might have sorted out it already.
    @Practical_Severard I think the problem is that the temperatures are fluctuating all over the place. In Mexico they had over a metre of hail, with photos of a woman in t-shirt scrambling over the mountain of ice; in parts of Scotland a couple of days ago temperatures went down to degrees and in the south of France where records temperatures were a problem, they are now swimming under water as storms lashed the area causing power cuts.

http://en.rfi.fr/visiting-france/20141011-more-rain-and-floods-hit-southern-france-gard-recovers-36-hour-storms

The temperature is slowly dropping slightly here in Nice.
    edited July 2019
    Dear Diary,
    I regret listening to some songs from the 50's "Mary Poppins" the day before yesterday. Those are so catchy! I can't get them off my mind.
    A spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down.... @Practical_Severard these old classics will never be forgotten.

Dear Diary
    Another very lazy day but the excuse was that I had to wait for the delivery of an order I had made a few days ago of some beer. It is very hot, so it is nice to be able to sit out in the evening and enjoy a cold beer. I have also started practicing sketching from my back terrace. Perspective is not so hard, but proportion is something I need to work on.

I am thinking of going to Genoa again in a couple of weeks to join the Urban Sketchers who meet on the third Sunday of each month (21 July) . I even checked out the bus times. @filauzio will you be up for some sketching?

I found this Singaporean Urban Sketcher who has made some extremely useful Youtube videos including this one, where he shares hip tips for better sketching. Basically it is not about talent but practice.

Teoh Yi Chie speaks excellent English very clearly and discusses everything you need to know about sketching. He also has a series of shorter twenty minute videos about each aspect of most of the things he covers in this longer question and answer live streaming video.

• VokVok Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never been leaning towards drawing or sketching, but I'm amazed by how some people are good at it. I agree that practice makes perfect but I also believe that those who are good at doing it are endowed with a gift from nature @mheredge .
    I have to take encouragement from this guy that it's as much about practice and patience @Vok, as I'm not sure I have much talent. I think it certainly makes you more observant of shapes, colours and shadows.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to join Urban Sketchers again, @mheredge, as long as I can give it a try myself too.

I suppose I should contact them via email address, in order to know how to get prepared and the basics of the discipline too.

Meanwhile, I could draw some lines just to see how my performance can be.

I'm not sure I would like so much to stick to the exact landscape lying in front of me though... I'm rather undisciplined.

I would rather render it, possibly, with a more personal touch.

In such case though, I'm afraid I would probably end up kind of childish, since my last drawing's experiments can be traced back to school, exactly.

In any cases it would be an interesting test.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭
    mheredge said:

I'm very lucky @vok as I can actually sleep reasonably well on buses and extremely well on trains. However tonight I'm quite looking forward to my bed at the hostel.

Don't you think, @mheredge, that the most romantic way of traveling is traveling by caravans?

@Deucalion to be honest this is one of the few methods of transport that I have never tried. I agree, this would be an amazing way to travel.

And you, @Paulette, have you ever traveled by caravans?
    In Ireland you can easily go on caravan tours in a tradition gypsy wagon @Deucalion. The roads are ideal for it there. Not much traffic and beautiful countryside. Just the ticket for a nice relaxing holiday don't you think?

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 24,753 mod
    I never did it on that way @Deucalion although I dreamt of this when I was a very young girl because int the village where I lived then there were many times such a caravans to held rest on a special place and I was jealous on the people there because of their freedom. But when i became 18 years I discovered that travelling by train with a group through Europe was also exiciting. We slept in yought hostels and so I no longer thought about caravan trips.
    But I was many time a passenger with this trader in my native village (our neighbor) a trader who brought coal and wood to people homes and as a child we were allowed to ride with him.

edited July 2019
    Nice memories from your childhood, @Paulette.
    An idea struck me - to get a caravan, then to visit in turn the dwellers of this forum, pick them all out of their homes and go together in order to explore some unseen yet horizons. That caravan would be a magic one, that could transform the real world in a fairy-tale world with cute fairy-tale personages we would encounter and deal with. Just imagine Paulette, what beautiful landscapes we will see there and what beautiful field flowers you could pick up there. I'm sure thanks to Marianne's GPS we won't be ever lost and will be ever able to come from time to time back in the real world for a short time just to see wether everything is ok here. :blush:
    @Deucalion that is a splendid idea, I will dream of it this coming night, I wish I was young again because I think my life will be to short to experience all my wishes. :(
    What a wonderful idea @Deucalion. I'm definitely interested in this. Camping out around the campfire under the stars and without a care in the world. Gypsies certainly have the right idea.
  • NaoranNaoran Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I quit my job to get full-time to study Ielts. Honest to say, I have an interested in English but Ielts was not. I just study Ielts as something like a game that I entertain my self. And if it it is a game, I strongly want to win that game, I put a crazy target score that noone I know have that Idea. I is the same stuff which all gamers think, to be on top or be stronggest at any game they play. After I finish, and reach to that crazy score, I will give up and study a new thing: maybe code, computer programming or designing. In my eyes, life looks like a game and my duty is to win that. It is a little crazy but... I love to write, even I made a blog to write about the process of me for studying something. Here is one story I wrote:
    "Nao slumped into the cool water, the strong flow of Gorin waterfall flowing hard into the young man's body. “ You can't just go out on devastating battles without giving me a will to fight. Nao-chan, I understand you are not a coward, but recruit for Tora clan now is not a good idea. Let’s see! Your sword is no longer sharp, sharpen your blade, make it shine in the summer sunshine. It was time for you to meet Mitsuhide sensei, the great swordmaster of all time”
    Hakuyara sensei's instructions echoed in Nao's ears. He suddenly smiles, a smile rarely appears on a face which is full of indifference."
    @Naoran good luck with your studies. IELTS is less about English and more about technique. However don't forget your English as this is necessary to get a good score.

Here are some bonus corrections:
    Naoran said:

I quit my job to study full-time for the IELTS exam. To be honest, I have an interest in learning English but not IELTS. I just study IELTS as more like a game to entertain myself. And if it it is a game, I very much want to win that game. I have put a crazy target score that no one I know has an idea about. It is the same think all gamers think, to be on top or be the strongest in any game they play. After I finish, and reach to that crazy score, I will give up and study a new thing: maybe code, computer programming or designing. In my eyes, life looks like a game and my duty is to win. It is a little crazy but... I love to write. I even made a blog to write about the process I have for studying. Here is one story I wrote:

"Nao slumped into the cool water, the strong flow of the Gorin waterfall flowing hard on the young man's body. “ You can't just go on fighting devastating battles without giving me a will to fight. Nao-chan. I understand you are not a coward, but being a recruit for the Tora clan now is not a good idea. Let’s see! Your sword is no longer sharp, sharpen your blade, make it shine in the summer sunshine. It is time for you to meet Mitsuhide sensei, the great swordmaster of all time.”

Hakuyara sensei's instructions echoed in Nao's ears. He suddenly smiled. A smile rarely appeared on a face which was usually full of indifference."

mheredge said:

What a wonderful idea @Deucalion. I'm definitely interested in this. Camping out around the campfire under the stars and without a care in the world. Gypsies certainly have the right idea.

I'm already visualising myself sitting at a campfire, playing guitar and singing:
    Sare, io ne, patria-a-a,
    Sare li ione li da nava-a-a.
    Sare goja io ciaia-a-a
    Palorom gene, da, da, da-a-a.
    Na-nu, la-ra-ra-ra-rai,
    La-ra, rai-dam, la-ra-ra-ra-rai,
    I-lara, rai-dam,
    La-ra-ra-ra-rai,
    Da-ra-ra, dam, da, tai, da
    :D
    Or this one:
    Me, mato, mato, mato,
    Мe sarindir matidir,
    Me sarindir matidir,
    Priom bravinta sarendir butidir
    Romane, ileskiri,
    Bahtale, dadeskiri,
    Me mato, mato, mato ...
    :D

By the way, @Paulette and @mheredge , which of you understand gypsies' language?

@Deucalion I only remember me the gypsies from my infancy, and I think we don't had any problem to understand each other when we played together. But I think the Gypsie language is a kind of dialect based on Spanish! Isn't it?
    Here ypou can see a picture of a family Gypsies when I was a child.

Paulette said:

Here ypou can see a picture of a family Gypsies when I was a child.

Wow, it seems like you have documented with pictures all your life, @Paulette , proceeding from your very early childhood.
    Are you that baby who was sitting on the shoulders of that tall guy? :smile:

@Deucalion
    No I am the girl in white :/ In the village where I lived then. This photo was taken with an old photo camera, my dad's proud possession
    edited July 2019
    Paulette said:

@Deucalion
    No I am the girl in white :/ In the village where I lived then.

Actually my intuition told me that you are the girl in white, @Paulette. And it was a discovery for me, a discovery that contradicted what I have thought about you - you should be a brunette. In my opinion the most carriers of such view on the wolrd as the yours are women from south. So I found myself between two contradictory tings my intuition told me, the girl in white being more powerful. I asked myself how could I habe being wrong about you till now? And in the last moment I told to myself, No, Paulette, you should be a brunette and gave my answer with that baby who looks darker, knowing that it is wrong. :D
    Paulette said:

This photo was taken with an old photo camera, my dad's proud possession

The camera looks impressive even nowadays and it made very qualitative pictures. The possession of such camera was a true reason to be proud.