Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Your diary in LE forum

Comments

• ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Dear Diary
    these days I am being considered as a very rude person in my class, while I just make the persons/people shut up because of them making stupid/mindless statements/answers, most of these so called persons are girls, hahah.
    It seems to me that I might be facing a fake harassment case soon enough if I keep up with this behavior of mine, on the other hand I think it'd be easier to mitigate to a behavior which the dumb society accepts because my intelligence or the attention should be given to those few who deserve it and just ignoring the dumb ones could suffice (and my friends burst out in a laughter when I told them this way the society can't survive), at the same time I am also thinking that I might've become arrogant.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 24,732 mod
    I don't think @ech0pandit you are arrogant but because you are a bit more intelligent you are irritated by the behavior of the others. A solution for you is more stoically thinking. You have to know that showing your irritation can't change the behaviors of the others, on the contrary they can do it again, esspecially to see your reactions....
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Your problem, @ech0pandit, is that you are unduly intelligent. To feel better amongst your classmates you urgently should become duller. :wink:
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭
    Dear Diary
    I have my calendar open beside me at all times these days, making it easier not to forget appointments made ages ago that are now falling due. My biggest headache though i keeping it up to date. It can be quite hard when it's a case of looking a couple of months in advance.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

I soaked my boots on Saturday and got cold. The nose is running... Luckily, today it's warm, +22C.

Oh no, I hope you are feeling better now. It is horrible getting caught in bad weather. I always have to go home as soon as possible and have a bath, or at least a shower.
    Today I am determined to get organised and sort out all those boring admin tasks - like my UK tax return. Ugh.
    mheredge said:

Today I am determined to get organised and sort out all those boring admin tasks - like my UK tax return. Ugh.

I always do my tax return the first day I can, because I know that it's just something that will hang over me if I don't do it.
    I didn't get the return filled out but at least I paid the taxes due! Tomorrow....
    mheredge said:

I didn't get the return filled out but at least I paid the taxes due! Tomorrow....

It's a great weight off your shoulders when you pay what's owed - particularly at this time of year when there's only two weeks left to pay! Luckily I paid mine quite early this time, which I don't always.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands my wife is like you - she's always a way ahead of me when it comes to tax return. But I put it on the back burner all the time.
    I'm normally a last minute back burner person when it comes to tax returns @Vok. And I still haven't done it. Someone today mentioned a very interesting TED talk about how you should keep your goals to yourself, as otherwise they are unlikely to get anywhere.

https://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself?language=en
    Vok said:

@GemmaRowlands my wife is like you - she's always a way ahead of me when it comes to tax return. But I put it on the back burner all the time.

It's easy to put off, but I can't push it out of my mind, I just keep thinking about it, so for me it's just easier to get it out of the way.
    Still a job for this week but I doubt I will have time tomorrow....
    Today I have placed an order for our new kitchen floor! It is a dark grey colour and I am sure that it is going to look very good indeed once it is in place.
    Today I attended a very boring meeting that was organised by the British Embassy in France to tell Brits who live in France what will happen following Brexit. The timing wasn't very good, as it is the holiday season so I think a lot of people were away. There was a woman who told everyone where they can find information, but the big problem is that no one really knows what is going to happen. The embassy guy however did say that his focus is on a no deal scenario. Apart from finding out that my British licence will continue to be valid after Brexit - from my understanding until it expires (but this is every ten years when the photocard has to be renewed), it wasn't very relevant for me thankfully. I feel very sorry for British nationals here, though the French government seem to be trying to help Brits as much as possible.
    mheredge said:

Today I attended a very boring meeting that was organised by the British Embassy in France to tell Brits who live in France what will happen following Brexit. The timing wasn't very good, as it is the holiday season so I think a lot of people were away. There was a woman who told everyone where they can find information, but the big problem is that no one really knows what is going to happen. The embassy guy however did say that his focus is on a no deal scenario. Apart from finding out that my British licence will continue to be valid after Brexit - from my understanding until it expires (but this is every ten years when the photocard has to be renewed), it wasn't very relevant for me thankfully. I feel very sorry for British nationals here, though the French government seem to be trying to help Brits as much as possible.

It is good that they are doing everything that they can to be helpful. There is just so much uncertainty at the moment in many ways, and people don't seem to know what is going to happen at all.
    @mheredge Maybe it is time for you to come back to India haha jk, but I hope for the best.
    Today it is raining, which is a little annoying, as I am finishing work for a week and was hoping to go for a walk. But it is no fun when it is raining, and I would like the sunshine to come back.
    @ech0pandit I won't have time this year but I shall certainly think about it for next year.

I tried to investigate the source of all the noise that has been disturbing the peace the past few nights without much success. I think it might have been work to resurface the little road behind my building and certainly last night, whilst I could hear some noise, it seemed to be coming from much farther away.
    edited July 2019

Today it is raining, which is a little annoying, as I am finishing work for a week and was hoping to go for a walk. But it is no fun when it is raining, and I would like the sunshine to come back.

Did you try walking in the rain, it feels so good, the where I am right now is in southern part of India and the weather is always pleasant here the clouds make the sky grey and there is a little drizzle some times heavy rain too, I like to play, walk or run in the rain, and I hope that you haven't reached that point to consider playing in the rain as a foolish thing, my mother always tell not to go outside in the rain as I'll get fever but I never listen
    I quite often walk in the rain. I usually have an umbrella, but if it is only drizzling I don't tend to bother @ech0pandit. It makes all the difference when it isn't cold though. In Britain you'd have to be mad to walk in the rain without any protection.

But I used to be amazed at how a bit of rain in Nepal meant people not go out until it stopped, even if they were supposed to be somewhere else. I used to say, 'What's wrong with going out with your umbrella? It's only water!'
    @mheredge I think the people of Nepal refrain from going out because they fear landslide, my village being situated in Himachal Pradesh a hilly area people don't get out much whenever it rains.
    I'm not sure that this is everywhere @ech0pandit but you have a very valid point for people on hilly areas. I was once supposed to attend a very important meeting in a village in the Terai, which being in the plains doesn't have this problem. Everyone was over an hour late saying that they were waiting for the rain to stop. I was on time, having sploshed my way along the road with an umbrella.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Dear Diary,
    on Friday I completed the main body of a driveway and a gate foundation to our country house. We had had a temporary one before that, and after what has been done, the final decoration is still on the table. Though, it's for the next year, I think. It can also serve as a parking lot for two cars, however, there are three in this family...

That project took a month of three men's labour, 28 cums of concrete, 2.3 km of 10 mm reinforcement bars, eight 3m long concrete bars as a foundation for the pipe in the road ditch, nevermind that I had had already the sand and gravel foundation. But now I can be sure that we can let in any sort of lorry carrying propane, or fertile earth or anything else.
    IMG-2527

You must be feeling relieved to break the back of this job @Practical_Severard.

I went for a wander to the Monday morning antiques market that is held in the Cours Saleya, in the old town every week. I didn't see anything particularly interesting, and the place was heaving with people and I got very hot. The forecast is for a return of a heatwave for the next few days and I think I will stay home as at least here I have a cool breeze running through my apartment. It's a very effective natural air conditioning.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭
    Dear Diary,

I share things with you with knowing the fact that you will share it with every participant on the portals. But Still, I feel comfortable sharing my life and the ups and downs. I am gratified by the opportunity you provide me here.

From the last 10 days, I am travelling a lot. I have covered travelling 2K KM in the past 7 days. 90% of my travel was through road and 10% was in train. The journey was tiring but filled with lots of serene beauty along the roadside. As I was travelling in the mountains of Shivalik ranges of Uttrakhand. Gigantic Mountains always invoke a filling of my small identity in this immense creation. It was wonderful trekking in the valley of flower along with colleagues with whom I enjoyed sharing my experiences of life.

I am satisfied cum happy with the opportunity I am getting in the work to wander around and experience the things that are new to me.

Thank You!
  • VokVok Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭
    You have a nice country house @Practical_Severard .

@ech0pandit I like when it's warm and raining too. The only thing I don't like about the rain is that you have to carry an umbrella around. My small and light umbrella, which I bought in one euro store, broke down last week and now I'm left with the old, bulkier one.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭
    Vok said:

You have a nice country house @Practical_Severard .

Thank you, @Vok !
    Vok said:

@ech0pandit I like when it's warm and raining too. The only thing I don't like about the rain is that you have to carry an umbrella around. My small and light umbrella, which I bought in one euro store, broke down last week and now I'm left with the old, bulkier one.

That's exactly the weather we had last week. Leaves and shoots had grown incredibly big, though the fruits aren't goingg to be sweet, I'm afraid. But there are a lot of mushrooms in the forest, and many people take to there to pick them.

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 24,732 mod
    @mohit_singh I am so glad to meet you here again. I admire your journey, because it is the real way to discover a lot of thing as well in nature as in your mind. I hope it brought a lot of new experiences to enjoy life. I think you met people in different places and differnt circumstances.

Did you try walking in the rain, it feels so good, the where I am right now is in southern part of India and the weather is always pleasant here the clouds make the sky grey and there is a little drizzle some times heavy rain too, I like to play, walk or run in the rain, and I hope that you haven't reached that point to consider playing in the rain as a foolish thing, my mother always tell not to go outside in the rain as I'll get fever but I never listen
    I do enjoy walking in the rain, but only if I have time to go home and have a shower afterwards, as I don't want to have to sit in wet or damp clothes all day!