Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Your diary in LE forum

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,806 ✭✭✭✭
    I went shopping today and was please to find the things I was looking for. How are these two items related (actually three if you count the ink cartridges)?

@filauzio will understand!

and

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahah the perfect equipment of a professional urban sketcher, well done @mheredge: now I just expect you to sit on your painter's stool at any corners all around Nice center, to sketch town's landscapes away long joyful hours.
    As soon as you get the right impression then, you have to render it on paper and create your artistic interpretation of reality as you sense it.
    Simply amazing: isn't it an authentic visual form of poetry ?

I hope I can soon experiment a similar joy as well.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    My bottom complained after sitting on a very narrow step to draw the local church, though maybe this helped me sketch faster @filauzio.

Today promises to be another steaming hot day. I had thought of maybe venturing across the border into Italy for the day but it is already too hot, early in the morning. Instead I might just have to sit in front of the fan all day.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭
    My bottom is coplainning today after I took up a round trainning yesterday. I did the first round of 20x narrow push-ups, 15x lunges, 10x burpees, 20x dips and 1min plank, no rest between excercises. I didn't finish the second round, however, because I got tired out and I thought my heart would explode. I was all in in just 10 minutes.
    Don't overdo it @Vok! I hope that you haven't been bitten by the competitive fitness bug.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/25/its-like-walking-through-fire-competitive-fitness-tribal-clash-crossfit
    Nothing to worry about @mheredge . It was just a flash in the pan.
    As long as it was just a one off @Vok. And with all this hot weather, you don't want to exert yourself too much.

You might have already read this, but the heatwave is back.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/24/hell-is-coming-week-long-heatwave-begins-across-europe
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    Vok said:

My bottom is coplainning today after I took up a round trainning yesterday. I did the first round of 20x narrow push-ups, 15x lunges, 10x burpees, 20x dips and 1min plank, no rest between excercises. I didn't finish the second round, however, because I got tired out and I thought my heart would explode. I was all in in just 10 minutes.

Wow that sounds like a wonderful fitness session. I am sure that you will be very fit indeed if you do this kind of thing on a regular basis!
  • ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    @Vok don't be so unjust to your body because doing it spontaneously would cause you a greater amount of pain the next day, you can always start with small exercises.

I am figuring out the schedule, and I have come to a conclusion that whether you can go with your schedule or keep up with your relations, I mean what is the point of a relation if I can't be able to keep them in the future and for that I have to stick to my schedule. it is just me, my schedule and I....LOL
    Post edited by ech0pandit on
    The schedule for what @ech0pandit? For training and taking exercise or life in general?
    @mheredge a schedule for the whole day, it feels so good when I do all the activities on time not prior not late but on time, and it favours my health too.
  • DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 5,394 mod
    Hi, @mheredge.

---

You know it's good for you and your health, @ech0pandit, so why don't you just do that? I mean, just overcome the forces that are stopping you. Just show them your strength. LOL. (Reminded me of yesterday's session)
    "Like rain, I fell for you."
    Today, I am being very productive indeed. I was up early, I have already done a lot of work, housework, and instrument practice. Hopefully this means I can relax and enjoy my evening tonight without having to do anything.
    I need to take a leaf out of your book @ech0pandit as I have been a bit too disorganised lately. I did enjoy pottering around on my terrace tidying up and repotting some of my plants. But really, spending two hours doing this was not at all what I planned on doing with my time today.
    @mheredge the best practice is to overload the schedule, I have come across this because I planned limited things for a day but could only successfully complete a few of them, now I just make my schedule so much populated with the things which doesn't bore me and gives me satisfaction at the end of the day, the best thing is multitasking and the proportion of you being completing the things is more to the things you couldn't possibly complete.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 24,749 mod
    @ech0pandit you are right, you have always to keep some activities in the background because on that way your day is always to short and you don't get the chance to be borred. My planning is full of changes every day but every day is amazing on that way.
    Dear Diary,
    yesterday I helped my friend to get his project working but it did not start, I tried everything but still, I couldn't figure out what was going wrong, I felt sleepy too, and I felt very helpless at that moment.

Today, I am being very productive indeed. I was up early, I have already done a lot of work, housework, and instrument practice. Hopefully this means I can relax and enjoy my evening tonight without having to do anything.

Well done! I'm at my most productivity when I'm up with the lark. Do you practice playing the instrument every day?
    Vok said:

Well done! I'm at my most productivity when I'm up with the lark. Do you practice playing the instrument every day?
    I'm certainly supposed to practice every day, though I will admit that there are some days that I find time runs away with me, as I have so many other things to do. I haven't practiced today yet. I feel I should probably do that soon, before I forget.
    I was the opposite and this morning slept later than usual as I woke up for a couple of hours in the night. After a slow start however, I did get my act together after lunch and had a highly productive afternoon.
    Today I am very happy because I have got a new job for a new client. It looks to be quite a big job, so it will keep me nice and busy indeed, which is very good when I have so much that I need to pay for.
    @GemmaRowlands congrats! What do you do?
    Last night I went to see an excellent little exhibition of art on glass and ceramic and today I am going to see a painting exhibition in the old town. It may be the holiday season, but the artists seem to be all hard at work here.
    Vok said:

@GemmaRowlands congrats! What do you do?

I'm a writer, editor and proofreader, and the new job is editing articles daily for quite a big company. It's a few hours a day extra on top of what I already do for other clients, so it will keep me busy, but be a great boost for me.
    I'm starting to think about what I will be doing when I get to Nepal. I need to plan my time carefully to make the most of my time.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Dear, Diary,

Yesterday I completed sowing mustard as a green manure in the backyard, which will become a lawn somewhen next year (hopefully). The soil is slimy, especially near the house where a lot of ground work has been done, so I had to use a mattock to hoe that soil, even after a tractor had rototilled it. (Though there is a month between those jobs). In the meantime the first sown place has been putting forth flowers, so I have to have that place mown and the green buried under the soil in days.

I think I need to buy a small walk-behind tractor to go on. A one with the cheapest in the range Chinese engine; I won't be using it all the time, so I think its short lifespan won't be a problem. Maybe I'll have it to the weekend.
    Post edited by Practical_Severard on
    @Practical_Severard you have been hard at work. I remember my father used to mow the lawn every Sunday morning. It was almost a ritual in the same way that the neighbours seemed to all go out in the street to wash their wash their cars. He had a small motor mower which worked very well.
  • DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 5,394 mod
    Dear Diary,

I've already applied for my study program but when I had a look on the 1st merit list some time ago, my name wasn't there. And it was totally unexpected! I wasn't expecting for it to be displayed right away so I wasn't ready for this. That makes me upset. But I just hope I'll make it for the next one.
    "Like rain, I fell for you."
    Dora said:

Dear Diary,

I've already applied for my study program but when I had a look on the 1st merit list some time ago, my name wasn't there. And it was totally unexpected! I wasn't expecting for it to be displayed right away so I wasn't ready for this. That makes me upset. But I just hope I'll make it for the next one.

I am sorry to hear that. You must be very disappointed. I wish you all the luck in the world for the next one, though :).
    @Dora , this is a minor setback which will make you more stronger for the competition, small steps lead to a huge amount of success, remember one step at a time and I'm sure you'll be on the top of the list.