Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Your diary in LE forum

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,991 mod
    Today I am preparing for my partner's son's birthday, which is tomorrow. He will be 16, which is a significant age, and I am looking forward to a day of celebrations with him.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,702 ✭✭✭✭
    My friend who was let down my IKEA has had several friends rally round, from the electrician who is lending him a couple of mattresses so he at least camp out in his empty flat, to a building who will be changing the bathroom who has kindly offered to sort out delivery of the things on a new date when my friend won't be around. But IKEA seriously messed up.
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian CanadaPosts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've made a great progress in my research. Next week, I'm going to a conference on Applied and Industrial Math. It's going to be so much fun. I'm really looking forward to that. My day was ok! I read a paper, prepared some sections of my presentation and had coffee after a week! :smiley:
    Hahaha I had to laugh @navidafrasiabian at your idea of fun. For me I would be asleep in seconds. Unless of course the coffee is strong enough to keep me awake. (But I wouldn't understand it as I am not at all mathematically-minded). Good luck with your presentation and have fun.
  • ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited August 12
    Dear Diary,

I wasn't having any plans for the weekend but this time I think there was a huge surprise waiting for me, after having dinner we usually go for a walk where my friends and I have tea or milk and we were planning to watch a movie and buy some chips and soft drinks, while going we noticed a dog dabbing a ball like creature, one of my friends called it a mouse but after having a closer look I saw it was a bird's child not full grown, we shooed the dog away and found out that the bird was hurt, there wasn't any sign of bleeding but one of her feet didn't work properly or rather it looked shoddy, I got for a newspaper page from a nearby building and we some how got her into the page and then we brought her into the room where I made holes in a shoe box and we also put rice in it with some water but due to my friends disagreement, the holes were enlarged due to which Binny(I'll refer to this name/alias for that bird) came out and was uniformly making a sound which was annoying us at this point we realized that Binny could fly, I took her to the terrace where she got scared and wanted to go back, I didn't understand one moment she doesn't want to stay in the box and on the other she also doesn't want to fly, so we went back down and then we put her into the box back again, anyhow one of my friends still had some movie in his mind so he said to get some munchies and we brought them, we watched a horror movie and another movie which was related to politics(only half, I fell asleep due to I being an early bird), all this was happening and we suddenly noticed that Binny had stopped making any sound, we wondered if she had got out again but she was in there and silent as a stone, I thought she slept but no she was there awake, after that I slept and woke up this morning and I was knocking at my friend's door to see what was her status and my friend said he took her up at the terrace and she flew, I don't know but something sounds fishy to me and there is a botanical park in front of the place where I currently reside, and whilst typing this I can still hear her chirping.

Foolish or joking parts while this happened:-
    1. One of my friends said "Lets cook it", the other one replied it'd be very less for the four of us.
    2. I made her fly once but she fell down.
    3. She made her head disappear as a protective instinct and I got worried.
    4. we tried to make her drink water but we ended up with a bottle cap on her head.
    Post edited by ech0pandit on
    I don't think you'd even get a mouthful of meat on a bird that size. Plucking and deboning it, tell your friend it would be far more trouble than it's worth.

She looks like a sparrow @ech0pandit. Or do you reckon she's another kind of bird. If she's damaged her foot I'm not sure of her chances.
    I do not know @mheredge , I am not very familiar with the birds but she didn't have any outer injuries and she was flying fine, and that was just a nonsense joke he made last night to cause a giggle in a serious situation, I hope he didn't mean it .
    I think I probably might have made a similar joke @ech0pandit though this definitely would have gone down like a lead balloon if my birding friends heard me say anything like that.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13
    Dear Diary,

Alas! Today this family's washing machine had a flash in the cylinder what caused the curcuit breaker in the switchbox to activate. This compliant machine has worked for twenty years, and it has never asked for attention since the very moment it was fitted. The missus doesn't want to give it a chance for a later life by calling a repair shop. This impetous woman wants a new machine so much, so she got me even in the shower! But there is no saying how long a new one would last. From what I was told, today's home appliances are not how they used to be and can last not more than five years. I feel really sorry for this machine.
    Post edited by Practical_Severard on
  • VokVok Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    I agree with you @Practical_Severard . It's not clear-cut whether a new maching will work longer than old fixed one. Anyway, if I were you, I'd buy a new machine. As long as wife is happy, everyone is happy too in the family.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭
    Vok said:

I agree with you @Practical_Severard . It's not clear-cut whether a new maching will work longer than old fixed one. Anyway, if I were you, I'd buy a new machine. As long as wife is happy, everyone is happy too in the family.

She still may change her mind, she had to finish the laundry by hand, you see.
    If it's repairable it will probably keep going as long as a new machine @Practical_Severard. I find the latest models of virtually everything seem never to last as long.
    edited August 14
    I hope you repair it, I also prefer the machines that were made back in the good old days, I these days play a game that is based on airplane simulation, and most of the planes are from ww2, this in turn is helping me to learn history more and more, I failed in my social studies in grade nine and I still can't believe history is making me dive into it more and more
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭
    Dear Diary,

I don't know sometimes I am very brave, sometimes coward. Like I have learnt driving and I can drive also but I afraid of driving in traffic, there is lack of confidence in me, the fear that always roam in my mind is that I should not hit and hurt anyone. Actually I am not afraid of any injury to me. And I realised this things in recent days, as when I was doing Go Carting high speed was fun for me. And for the first time I did zip line without any fear the only thing in my mind was that if I have chance I have to do it anyhow bcoz time never come back.
    And their are other incidents also where I have noticed that I enjoy this kind of thrilling doings. And I have desire to do this kind of adventure.
    Like when I was in Aeroplane, weather was not good, so their were instruction for fasting sit belt and aeroplane was shaking, there was turbulence but i was enjoying that and feeling like roller coaster while most people jolt in tension.
    I think I can control my mind when risk factor evolves around only me but when it involves other then I am a coward one.
    I know exactly how you feel @nidhii. I can understand why you'd be nervous driving in India, as the driving there is notoriously bad. It's a lot better here in France but I still wouldn't want to go driving here. And while I love rough sea and even turbulence in the air when flying, I get absolutely terrified trying to cross very busy roads.
    Hey Forum! Long time, no see! I came to Canada 357 days ago. During this year, I've been learning a lot, about myself, about other cultures, about polymers, and about computers. I'm living my dream. I have found great friends and made a life here. Now, Western is my new home! I met amazing scientists whom I knew from their papers and now, I see them every day and talk to them. Better than anything else, I can get coffee on a daily basis. You know, it wasn't that popular to have coffee back home, but here in Canada, I can find it everywhere and have it whenever I feel like it, isn't great?
    I don't want to finish all my stories in a post. To be Continued...
    Where in Canada are you @navidafrasiabian? How did you survive the cold winter?

I had a nice cup of coffee to start the day. I used to always drink my coffee black but lately I've taken to having it with milk. I finished the packet of milk that was in the fridge but I don't want to open a fresh one as I'll be away a week and don't want to come back to sour milk.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 22,543 mod
    @navidafrasiabian that is awesome to hear. You have found a new way in your life and that is exiting. Discover new things is always fantastic, and I hope you will experience a lot of more new things.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Congrats @navidafrasiabian . It sounds like you're living your dream life there.
    Running like a mad thing, I am pausing in my packing for a few minutes to take a breath. This morning I had coffee with a friend and managed to find a huge sack of compost to repot the last of the chili plants that I had in small pots. I can now leave them to grow bigger and hopefully start to flower.
    edited August 16
    mheredge wrote: »
    Where in Canada are you @navidafrasiabian? How did you survive the cold winter?

I had a nice cup of coffee to start the day. I used to always drink my coffee black but lately I've taken to having it with milk. I finished the packet of milk that was in the fridge but I don't want to open a fresh one as I'll be away a week and don't want to come back to sour milk.

I'm studying at Western University in London Ontario. I experienced -43 C. Can you imagine that?😱
    But actually, the cold weather is not the problem! The long winter is! It starts snowing around early November till late March! And it's gloomy and overcast through. I missed sun so much that I walked to office every day this summer to take advantage of the sunny weather!
    Vok wrote: »
    Congrats @navidafrasiabian . It sounds like you're living your dream life there.

I really do! Every minute of it is a bless! I miss my family though. I have seen them in person for a year.
    Paulette wrote: »
    @navidafrasiabian that is awesome to hear. You have found a new way in your life and that is exiting. Discover new things is always fantastic, and I hope you will experience a lot of more new things.

Thanks @Paulette ! The most funny experience is my English accent! An Iranian with British accent living in North America!
    My English got super weird for a while.😆 Fortunately, I've got some English friends and now my accent is back to what it was!
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 22,543 mod
    @navidafrasiabian I love the different English accents of people, they sound very nice and in my eyes it is a sign that people from around the world are united. I wish I was young again to discover this world.... :)
    Minus 43 degrees! My goodness, this is too cold. I hope that you didn't stay out long and managed to find some warm centrally heated room fast.
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17
    I also experienced -40 degrees in my life. Everybody should be conscious that it is a lifethreatening elements, and be caucious because the threat is insidious. I remembered a tragic case when 30 people were found dead frozen in a car that had broken on its way between two locations.
    Everyone has central heating in Canada @Deucalion. Canadians tell me it's not as bad as it sounds.

I've made a great progress in my research. Next week, I'm going to a conference on Applied and Industrial Math. It's going to be so much fun. I'm really looking forward to that. My day was ok! I read a paper, prepared some sections of my presentation and had coffee after a week! :smiley:

I am glad that you have made some good progress on your research. I know just how satisfying it can be when you make positive steps with that kind of project.
    Dear Diary
    Yesterday the weather was perfect for a lovely hike in the mountains. I need as much practice as possible for when I have to go on a short trek in Nepal in a few weeks.
    Dear Diary,

Yesterday was my partner's birthday, and he turned 50 years old. We had a lovely day, and I gave him presents and a cake. We went out for a meal and then went to see his parents, so he very much enjoyed his special day of celebrations.