Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Your diary in LE forum

Comments

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 24,738 mod
    edited August 2019
    @takafromtokyo I like very much Caramel Macchiato, and I always buy this in the supermarket but it isn't the brand of Starbucks by Douwe Egbert, a Dutch Brand of coffee.
    Post edited by Paulette on
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭
    @Paulette
    Caramel macchiato tastes wonderful!
    I love chocolate flavors better. Does Douwe Egbert has chocolate flavors?
    @takafromtokyo Douwe Egberts has in ice coffees only Machiatto, Caramel and Cappuccino. But I also think an ice chocolate coffee must be wonderful. Chocolate is certainly also a sweet sin for me!;)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

@Paulette

Yeah, sort of. It wasn’t Starbucks. I wish it was. I love Starbucks for they have big seats and tables. Very great environment to do my work on my laptop.

Do you often go to Starbucks? Do you have any favorite coffee shops or bakeries you like to visit?

I love Starbucks because I can do my work in there. Unfortunately I find the drinks very overpriced, so I can't buy very much when I am in there.
    @GemmaRowlands
    I was at a coffee shop, finished my work just now, and now I’m on my way home. I wish I could finish my work earlier. I’m a little tired today.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

@GemmaRowlands

I was at a coffee shop, finished my work just now, and now I’m on my way home. I wish I could finish my work earlier. I’m a little tired today.

At least you've finished it now though. I hope that you can relax for the rest of the day now that you are finished.
    @GemmaRowlands
    Thanks! Now I’m at home, taking a break. After the break, I’m going to do my night routine, which is basically cleaning up the house and washing the dishes.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭
    mheredge said:

@takafromtokyo do you like the coffee at Starbucks? I tend to boycott them for several reasons, not least because they're a big chain and represent some of the evils of globalisation.

Here noone can drink Starbucks coffee, even for fun, it's always bad. It's just like McDonalds', but for a price.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll send you the links @takafromtokyo when I'm back on my laptop tomorrow. I'm spoilt here because in Nepal even if they don't export it, the coffee is very good. The Himalayas is a very good place to grow excellent coffee. And for less than one euro for a very good quality brew, I'm drinking more than perhaps I should.

I spent the day in a café working too. Not only is their coffee excellent but they have a very good WiFi too.
    edited August 2019
    mheredge said:

I'm spoilt here because in Nepal even if they don't export it, the coffee is very good. The Himalayas is a very good place to grow excellent coffee.

That's a pity, because bearded hipsters here would like to try it too.

Nepal is probably one of the most dysfunctional countries in the world @Practical_Severard. They couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.
    mheredge said:

Nepal is probably one of the most dysfunctional countries in the world @Practical_Severard. They couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

It's a commercial operation, so not exacly a government job, so a private enterprise could take it up.
    The problem is that private companies are frustrated by a government who can't get anything certified. Some German companies send their own people in to certify tea for their company so you would have thought if they can do it, the government should be able to sort something out. But in all the fifteen years I have known about this problem, I'm told 'they're looking into it' @Practical_Severard.
    Yesterday, I went to Discord. I've totally forgotten about it, but it seems like I've already had a Discord account. I just needed to download it on my laptop. I went there, had a little conversation with @Teach and @zom. That was fun.
    I just made a new discussion thread. The thread is about the collocations with the word "dish". Let's practise how to use this word!
    mheredge said:

The problem is that private companies are frustrated by a government who can't get anything certified.

Why wouldn't they just drop any kind of export certification altogether? It doesn't concern the health of their population.

Tea and coffee these days needs to be certified as being organic in order for foreign countries to want to import it. Without this assurance, Nepal finds it almost impossible to find many overseas markets. India interestingly has no problems with importing uncertified tea and mixing it with their homegrown certified Darjeeling tea however!
    This morning, I woke up with a pain in my neck. I think I twisted my neck in a rather strange way while I was asleep. The pain in my neck caused a headache as the time went by, and I still have it. It’s become more subtle though. I’m going to bed earlier than usual. I hope everything is fine when I wake up tomorrow.
    edited September 2019
    mheredge said:

Tea and coffee these days needs to be certified as being organic in order for foreign countries to want to import it. Without this assurance, Nepal finds it almost impossible to find many overseas markets. India interestingly has no problems with importing uncertified tea and mixing it with their homegrown certified Darjeeling tea however!

I think with all you've said about the Nepali government, their certificate wouldn't be trusted anyway. On the other hand, there are testing agencies operating wolrdwide (such as CERES) which could inspect a Nepal's plantation and award it with a certificate, be it a EC, US, Japanese or Swiss one.
    It's September 2nd today, and tomorrow it'll be my dog's birthday!
    He'll be two years old. When he became a member of my family, he was 4 months old, and weighed about 1.6kg. Now he's grown bigger, and weighs around 2.0kg. His face was rounder at the time, but now he looks more mature. But he's always been cute, and that won't change.
    My family is going to celebrate his second birthday tomorrow night!
    Happy birthday to your dog @takafromtokyo. How will you celebrate his birthday?

This morning, I woke up with a pain in my neck. I think I twisted my neck in a rather strange way while I was asleep. The pain in my neck caused a headache as the time went by, and I still have it. It’s become more subtle though. I’m going to bed earlier than usual. I hope everything is fine when I wake up tomorrow.

If it repeats seeing a doctor might be a wise thing to do. Neck accomodates many important arteries supplying a brain. As well as nerves. A massage course might be a good thing.
    Happy birthday to your dog too @takafromtokyo , a dog is a full member of yor family. I also have a dog, he is 18 months now, but its weight is a bit more than yours, he weighs 38 kg.
    If you sit in a draft, this can make your neck stiff and give you a head ache @takafromtokyo. But sleeping in an awkward position isn't good either.
    @mheredge
    We are going to give him some boiled chicken for his birthday. We usually feed him with dried dog food with small kibbles. But it’s his birthday, so he gets to eat some real meat.
    @Practical_Severard
    Thanks for your advice!
    I’m a bit scared of getting a massage though. I’ve heard many sad and bad incidents caused by unskillful, or even wrong, massage performed by part timers.

The pain in my neck seems like just a one-time deal, so I believe I’m okay now.
    @Paulette
    Thanks for your comment.
    Your dog is about 6months younger than mine. But now that he is 18 months old, he’s already grown up to an adult dog, right? Is he good at making friends with other dogs?

I’m a bit scared of getting a massage though. I’ve heard many sad and bad incidents caused by unskillful, or even wrong, massage performed by part timers. The pain in my neck seems like just a one-time deal, so I believe I’m okay now.

That's true, but one can always find a place of good reputation. Probably, you could have a MRI of the neck segment of your spine beforehand. Many sympthoms are caused by a misplaced vertebra ot two, and the neck segment problems are frequent enough among office workers. Once I met a woman whose gynecological issues were caused by several disk extrusions and protrusions in her vertebral column. Who could tell there might be a connection?

@takafromtokyo he is very nice with other dogs, and he is also very clever. My husband is a trainer of search dogs (dogs that are trained to track missing people). The training is in progress but the dog will only be deployed after a full three-year training.
    @Paulette
    Your husband is a trainer for search dogs. How wonderful! Let me confirm you. Is your 18 month old dog going through the training just now? Or is there another dog that’s getting trained? Is he going to leave your house after three years of training?