Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Your diary in LE forum

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭
    @Practical_Severard
    Is that so? That’s really scary!
    I think I’m okay now. My neck doesn’t ache any more. I guess your story worked just fine to relieve pain in my neck.
    ٩( 'ω' )و
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

@GemmaRowlands

Thanks! Now I’m at home, taking a break. After the break, I’m going to do my night routine, which is basically cleaning up the house and washing the dishes.

I always like to get things clean and tidy in the evening too, as it means that you can wake up to a clean house in the morning.
    @GemmaRowlands
    I try to finish my night routine for cleaning up by 9, but even if I finish washing up and cleaning up in time, after I go to bed, I notice the sounds of people still eating things and leaving things here and there. I feel I have to get up and check out the rooms and the kitchen.
    @Deucalion
    I don’t usually go to “activity”, but something came to my mind and I clicked it this morning. I found out that Lynne has made an announcement that the forum is going to be shut down in November, so I guess it’s already been decided.

My goal now is to practice writing English as much as I can by writing as many comments as I can, and making as many friends as I can along the way before I move on to Discord.

@GemmaRowlands

I try to finish my night routine for cleaning up by 9, but even if I finish washing up and cleaning up in time, after I go to bed, I notice the sounds of people still eating things and leaving things here and there. I feel I have to get up and check out the rooms and the kitchen.

Luckily, I always go to bed last in the house, or I think I would find it annoying if other people were making things untidy.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,643 ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone should learn to tidy up themselves. In the monastery where I am staying the night, each person has to wash up their own dishes.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 24,647 mod
    @mheredge
    That's the way I raised my children, but a few sons of them have the very good luck to have a wife who spoil them
    I think I was ticked off for not getting up in time for morning prayers. At 6.20 someone passed by my room announcing breakfast. I just made it before everything was cleared away. I felt guilty as I should have been up half an hour before however.
    edited September 2019
    I just finished cooking fried rice but it didn’t turn out good. When I opened the refrigerator, I knew I didn’t have enough eggs for the amount of rice I was going to fry. At least, I needed three, better four, when I had only two. Japanese rice are round, and they stick together like being glued when cooked with water. I don’t add water when I fry rice, but they stick together by the water they have in themselves. Eggs keep them from sticking together into one huge ball of rice. I somehow managed to fry them at least not into one big ball, but the result was far from it should’ve been.
    It’s 11 in the evening. I’m getting sleepy now. I haven’t written too many comments today. But I watched several YouTube videos an hurricane Dorian. Those were good for my English studies. But the damage Dorian left in Bahama is devastating.

The aerial images of the destruction reminded me of the devastated areas of 311 tsunami in 2011. The big earthquake and the giant tsunami waves destroyed and washed away many coastal cities at the time. The damage was overwhelming, but at least we could send help. That’s what’s different the most in Bahama. The island is completely isolated without any help.
    It’s 10:20 in the Saturday morning in Tokyo now. The sky is getting more cloudy than it was earlier. The weather is still relatively mild, but this is going to change. We’re expecting a storm this evening. The report says it’s a strong storm. So, we’re trying to get prepared before its arrival.
    It suddenly started raining hard in Tokyo, but just for a few moments. Now the sky is clear, the sun is shiny bright, and the temperature has risen high. The roads are already getting dry.
    @takafromtokyo I wish you a nice Sundaymorning from Belgium where the weather is quit nice but the temperature is at themoment only 11 degrees, but the sky is blue adn I just saw the sunrise, so my day is good. :)
    I had a slow bus journey up to a village where I am visiting a community homestay project. The journey was very scenic but it took over four hours to travel less than 80 kilometres.
    @Paulette
    Thanks for your words. Only 11 degrees? That low? Isn’t that cold?

Well, good thing you have blue skies! Stay warm and don’t catch cold!!
    @mheredge
    Looks like a real long journey!
    The bus company could come up with some good ideas to entertain their customers if that’s the normal. Someone bring the guitar for everyone to sing along!!
    @takafromtokyo I have to tell you that the sun doesn't stayed the whole day. This afternoon when I took a walk with the dog I get a rain shower on my head but our dog did not care but the temperature raised till to 18 degrees.
    @Paulette
    Oh, sounds like the weather has changed frequently. Did you enjoy the walk in the rain with your dog? Do you always take the same route when you walk your dog?
    Public transportations were slow to start this morning due to the safety check they had to go through after the storm overnight. When they did start, everything was in chaos with too many people trying to get on the early train. I almost got pressed to death with unbelievably many people packed in the train.
    I expect this here in Nepal @takafromtokyo so it's a bit of a surprise to hear this is also the case in Japan. I can't complain though, as the bus I'm on today isn't too packed like normal. I think this is perhaps because I am travelling from a lesser known place and one few tourists see unless they have to catch a flight from the little airport there.
    @mheredge
    Well, people packed in trains insanely doesn’t always happen in Japan. This morning was special because of the extremely strong storm overnight. Trash bins, leaves, twigs, bikes, and even trees were blown off and scattered all around, so the public transportations had to make sure all their routes and railroads were completely secured before operation.
    edited September 2019
    After the storm had passed, it has been a fine day all day long, and it came to an end with a splendid sunset.

Post edited by takafromtokyo on
    The video was too short. I should’ve taken the video longer...
    I’m trying to come up with the names of the colors in the sun setting sky.

White, yellow, gold, orange, pink, purple, and blue. But there are lots of different pinks in the pink in the sky, lots of different yellows in yellow, and I don’t have enough vocabulary to describe them.

After the storm had passed, it has been a fine day all day long, and it came to an end with a splendid sunset.

I am glad that the weather is better for you now, and that sunset looks absolutely beautiful. I do love a good sunset.
    I went for a walk in the jungle looking for elephants, rhinos and tigers. I did see a rhino, and some deer bit not much else. It was very hot and I felt very sorry for the animals in their fur coats.
    What an adventure @mheredge eye on eye with a rhinos and an elephant, that must be amazing.
    @GemmaRowlands
    Sunset is beautiful; when you watch it for just a while, you realize the sun is going down indeed. It actually goes down quite rapidly. We really don't realize how fast it moves during the daytime.
    @mheredge
    I've looked at elephants really up close only once at the Elephant Park in Ichihara, and they were huge. I get a little worried if they can walk safely in the jungle with lots of trees and bushes.

@GemmaRowlands
    Sunset is beautiful; when you watch it for just a while, you realize the sun is going down indeed. It actually goes down quite rapidly. We really don't realize how fast it moves during the daytime.

Yes, I love watching it. It's almost as though you can see it slowly move, and it's even better if you can watch it with someone you love.