Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Your diary in LE forum

Comments

• ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    whilst I was recovering from my condition so fast, it didn't seem right it takes time to recover and because of this happening I tried to make most out of this situation so that I could get back up in a better condition than I was earlier in, and I decided to do so by going to the gym but alas!, dengue has taken a toll on my body and I should accept it and to recover from it I should keep myself literally over-hydrated, and this thing also affected my Birthday which was not so nicely celebrated and it is very melancholic for me. Perhaps you were right @Vok I should have had taken things slow with my health.
    @sammani I don't know where you live but assuming you watched a tamil movie I would come to a conclusion it would be India and although I have seen a lot of matrimony sections in newspaper but I have never heard or seen people taking those things seriously.
    PS: I am an Indian citizen :smiley: .
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not too sure that I would take seriously what is written in the classified section of the newspaper. Someone could write anything to make themselves look more appealing @sammani. But then quite a lot of people meet online these days and this is just the same.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭
    @Yellowtail I've heard from the news it was rather nasty typhoon you had. I'm glad you're none the worse for it.

@ech0pandit my belated happy birthday to you. Get well soon.
  • sammanisammani Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    @ech0pandit,I am Sri Lankan and here most of arrange marriages are found from news papers.yeah I watched Tamil movies but I do not get what you have meant here.😕😕😕.
    @mheredge,I agreed.
    Nice is experiencing a small storm right now, but nothing like in Japan. The thunder and window rattling with the wind woke me up though.
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    @vok You are right. I don't even think about that - I'm a little bit selfish - The scholarship requires every applicant spend 200 hours of teaching in a public or private entity in order to get the postgraduate title but it's not contribution in my opinion. I'll have to think about it.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18
    Dear Diary,
    I visited my mother yesterday evening after office. She's still suffering from a sore throat, though her condition has much improved due to an antibiotic drug she had been taking without prescription. She said it had been prescribed before for a similar illness. I had to say to her that taking an antibiotic without having seen a doctor can’t be advised, but I’m not sure that she took it seriously. She anticipated long queues at the local outpatient clinic and this put her off visiting that place. She had stayed inside for eight days before she ventured to go to a theatre for a ballet with a friend.

I brought her a few birch twigs bundles, that one to be used in a Russian steam bathhouse. She still visits one weekly, though the hot steam isn’t very good for her, but she takes it when all other women are done, so it’s not too hot.

When I had returned to my flat at a quarter to tenish, I heard drops splashing in the pipe compartment. So I had to grab a lantern, step on the toilet and inspect it. Water was leaking from somewhere in upper floors. The missus had been sleeping already. I visited several upper neighbours and found the source three storeys above. That old woman’s toilet installation was leaking and she had been expecting a plumber to come for several days already. He had wanted her to buy some fittings, what she had done and expected the man to come the next day. She seemed very embarrassed, but the leak wasn’t particularly big, so we (I and another neighbor) assured her that we could wait and came back to our apartments, though we had to put buckets under the drops.
    I'm hoping that the paint peeling from my ceiling isn't due to a leak from upstairs. At least there's only one apartment above mine. Someone is coming on Monday and I hope will get to the bottom of it. It could be down to the air conditioning only I have never used this, so I doubt that this is the cause.

I hope you manage to get the leak sorted out soon @Practical_Severard.
    mheredge said:

I'm hoping that the paint peeling from my ceiling isn't due to a leak from upstairs. At least there's only one apartment above mine. Someone is coming on Monday and I hope will get to the bottom of it. It could be down to the air conditioning only I have never used this, so I doubt that this is the cause.

Can this place be under a sort of a wet room, e.g, a lavatory or bathroom?
    mheredge said:

I hope you manage to get the leak sorted out soon @Practical_Severard.

Well, that old lady seems to have coped with this. The leak was in a sort of shaft which accomodates the piping, so it wasn't very disastrous.

Amber alerts in Genoa and the area mean sketching in the seaside town we were supposed to go to had to be cancelled. Train strikes in France seem to be conspiring against me too so I'm catching a bus back to Nice earlier than planned tomorrow.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 23,492 mod
    @mheredge what's happens in Genoa because there is amber alerts? I don't find any signal in the news reports.
    It's a precaution when it rains heavily @Paulette, as there's worry that there might be floods if the underground rivers get too full and can't empty fast enough. I didn't see the warning myself but local people all seemed aware of it.
    Have you managed to learn anything on your peeling off ceiling paint , @mheredge?
    I'm waiting for a guy to come and have a look @Practical_Severard. He was supposed to come yesterday as he told me last week that this is when the contractor would come to fit my new double glazed French windows. (I don't know why the British call the full sized window-doors 'French windows.')

I heard drills upstairs and wonder if I should go up to see what is going on. I think that immediately above the side where the paint is coming off is also a living room, but it might be worth a look.

I'm still waiting to see when the windows will be fitted. I wish they would hurry up as it is forecast to rain later in the week.
    mheredge said:

I don't know why the British call the full sized window-doors 'French windows.)

I believe we refer to them as "French windows" too, but also as "panoramic window". There is also the "French balcony".
    @Practical_Severard I've never come across the French balcony, though 'panoramic window' could apply maybe. Even if the front one only stretches across half the width of the room, I do enjoy a beautiful panorama of the Mediterranean.

Today the sea is choppy, with white horses. The forecast is for rain and I am hearing loud rumbles of thunder. I just hope the weather doesn't spoil the plan to do a bit of sketching down at the flower market later this morning.
    mheredge said:

@Practical_Severard I've never come across the French balcony...

This is a picture of what they mean:

@Practical_Severard So a French baclony is not a balcony at all?
    edited October 23
    Vok said:

@Practical_Severard So a French baclony is not a balcony at all?

I think no, as it may be without a platform at all. That's why it's also known as "false balcony". The proper English term for this architectural design element is "balconet".
    In Russia you can also adorn your window with French curtains, I mean the white ones (although these windows aren't French):

Post edited by Practical_Severard on
    Do 'French curtains' refer to the style of net curtains (the ruffled look) @Practical_Severard ?

The French aren't so into net curtains as the British are. I suppose because windows here all come with shutters whether rolling ones or ones that open out. Myself, the British in me tends not to ever close them and I have put some net curtains just in the bedroom, to give a bit more privacy. But I have drawn a line at curtains which are also standard in the UK.

I am going to have wait a couple more weeks for the windows to be replaced as apparently there has been a delay at the factory that make them. In the meantime I had already rolled up some of the rugs that I have on the bedroom floor. I was amazed at how much more spacious the room looks now, so much as I like the carpets, I am not sure I will put them back again.
    edited October 24
    mheredge said:

Do 'French curtains' refer to the style of net curtains (the ruffled look) @Practical_Severard ?

Yes, more exactly, to that ruffling style. Those curtains look good only with big windows, so I usually see them in conference halls and theatres.
    mheredge said:

The French aren't so into net curtains as the British are. I suppose because windows here all come with shutters whether rolling ones or ones that open out. Myself, the British in me tends not to ever close them and I have put some net curtains just in the bedroom, to give a bit more privacy. But I have drawn a line at curtains which are also standard in the UK.

Here shutters are found only in one family houses, while the most urban people live in high-rises.
    mheredge said:

I am going to have wait a couple more weeks for the windows to be replaced as apparently there has been a delay at the factory that make them.

I suffered the same last summer with my entrance door. They were late for a month, so they had messed up my building schedule and I had to abandon a part of my project since the contractors had to go.

• sammanisammani Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    Dear Diary,
    Today was a very exciting day. I had to face a viva in which 5 people were sitting and asked questions from me. I was a bit afraid. But I think I made it. :) :)
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 23,492 mod
    @sammani congratulations, I am sure you made it. :)
    @Practical_Severard here typically windows in all apartments have shutters. I think they are almost unheard of in the UK. I remember it used to be quite a ritual at my grandparent's house, when my grandfather used to go around closing them all at dusk.
    @mheredge what was the reason you kept your shutters shut at night?
    Actually I don't @Vok. I suppose having never grown up with shutters in the UK, I never got into the habit. I also like to wake up to the light coming in through my windows. So I don't ever shut my shutters. I think most people do in France.

But my French grandparents were very strict about closing all the shutters every night.
    after a long time I have started eating chicken again, at first it seemed to be alright but then came the storm with it, laziness, not wanting to work, lack of imagination and hindrance in the performance, I think this city is soaking me in, the weather which looked so good isn't very good at all, it is true, the grass really looked greener on the other side when I wasn't here, out of all this I am feeling incompetent and that is very bad, I hope this improves, I don't know if I will again be able to give up non vegetarian food but it'd be my first step, my schedule is messed up with because of this.
    Oh dear @ech0pandit. It sounds like you are not sure if it was a good idea to eat chicken again. I don't believe in forcing yourself to eat anything. If you want to eat meat, I say go ahead rather than make yourself miserable trying to give it up. But this might be because whilst I don't eat all that much meat, I can't see myself making it a principle to be vegetarian.
    edited November 1
    thanks for your kind words and advice @mheredge I think it all comes down to not just one thing but even if I am a logic believer, I was brought up by my parents according to their culture and norms and which I think is a good thing, I have to come to terms with myself and my brain that consuming anything won't cause any mental inefficiency , I had done this back in my college days but it was real tough situation, now I think only two ways are left whether I give up eating or I settle my brain with some strong argument.